* Re: master 5ac7b48: Lift define-prefix-command to Lisp
       [not found] ` <20210108141623.B325320BD3@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2021-01-08 14:51   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-01-08 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Stefan Kangas

>     Lift define-prefix-command to Lisp

Thanks.

How 'bout obsoleting it while we're at it?

* Re: master 5ac7b48: Lift define-prefix-command to Lisp
@ 2021-01-08 15:01     ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-01-08 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

>>     Lift define-prefix-command to Lisp
>
> Thanks.
>
> How 'bout obsoleting it while we're at it?

Indeed, I was thinking about it.  But I didn't yet have time to fully
study the implications.  Is there any reason for or benefit to its
gymnastics?

* Re: master 5ac7b48: Lift define-prefix-command to Lisp
@ 2021-01-08 15:11       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-01-08 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>>     Lift define-prefix-command to Lisp
>> How 'bout obsoleting it while we're at it?
> Indeed, I was thinking about it.  But I didn't yet have time to fully
> study the implications.  Is there any reason for or benefit to its
> gymnastics?

Not that I know,

* Re: master 5ac7b48: Lift define-prefix-command to Lisp
@ 2021-01-08 15:32       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-01-08 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 09:01:50 -0600

> >>     Lift define-prefix-command to Lisp
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > How 'bout obsoleting it while we're at it?
>
> Indeed, I was thinking about it.  But I didn't yet have time to fully
> study the implications.  Is there any reason for or benefit to its
> gymnastics?

This question is pertinent when someone suggests a new function or
feature.  When talking about obsoleting an existing one, the right
question is "does it do any harm, or do a bad job, or present some
significant maintenance burden?"

* Re: master 5ac7b48: Lift define-prefix-command to Lisp
@ 2021-01-08 16:51         ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2021-01-08 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> This question is pertinent when someone suggests a new function or
> feature.  When talking about obsoleting an existing one, the right
> question is "does it do any harm, or do a bad job, or present some
> significant maintenance burden?"

In this case, it seems that this "feature" is indeed doing a bad job.

To put it more clearly, it seems to be doing some convoluted gymnastics
that are no longer necessary.  Hysterical raisins?

* Re: master 5ac7b48: Lift define-prefix-command to Lisp
@ 2021-01-08 18:33           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-01-08 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 10:51:38 -0600
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > This question is pertinent when someone suggests a new function or
> > feature.  When talking about obsoleting an existing one, the right
> > question is "does it do any harm, or do a bad job, or present some
> > significant maintenance burden?"
>
> In this case, it seems that this "feature" is indeed doing a bad job.

Which job does it do badly, and why?