* The text-mode menu looks very broken in emacs-24
@ 2014-06-18  9:50 Mario Lang
From: Mario Lang @ 2014-06-18  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi.

Just tried the text-mode menu in emacs-24 branch, and it is rather
broken.  It is kind of hard for me to describe the bug in detail, but
scrolling through the menu items of the "Edit" menu gives me randomly
wrong aligned menu items.  "Undo" is not aligned with the rest of the
menu, but aligned to the left of the screen.  Quitting the menu gives me
left-over characters from these wrong-aligned menu items.

Can someone experienced with the new text mode menu take a look at this
please?  I am seeing it on Linux in tty mode, with a "--without-x"
complied emacs.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕

* Re: The text-mode menu looks very broken in emacs-24
@ 2014-06-18  9:57 ` Dmitry Antipov
From: Dmitry Antipov @ 2014-06-18  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Lang; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 06/18/2014 01:50 PM, Mario Lang wrote:

> Just tried the text-mode menu in emacs-24 branch, and it is rather
> broken.  It is kind of hard for me to describe the bug in detail, but
> scrolling through the menu items of the "Edit" menu gives me randomly
> wrong aligned menu items.  "Undo" is not aligned with the rest of the
> menu, but aligned to the left of the screen.  Quitting the menu gives me
> left-over characters from these wrong-aligned menu items.
>
> Can someone experienced with the new text mode menu take a look at this
> please?  I am seeing it on Linux in tty mode, with a "--without-x"
> complied emacs.

Check screenshots from http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17497,
most probably you hit the same known issue.

Dmitry

* Re: The text-mode menu looks very broken in emacs-24
@ 2014-06-18 11:14   ` Mario Lang
From: Mario Lang @ 2014-06-18 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dmitry Antipov <dmantipov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 06/18/2014 01:50 PM, Mario Lang wrote:
>
>> Just tried the text-mode menu in emacs-24 branch, and it is rather
>> broken.  It is kind of hard for me to describe the bug in detail, but
>> scrolling through the menu items of the "Edit" menu gives me randomly
>> wrong aligned menu items.  "Undo" is not aligned with the rest of the
>> menu, but aligned to the left of the screen.  Quitting the menu gives me
>> left-over characters from these wrong-aligned menu items.
>>
>> Can someone experienced with the new text mode menu take a look at this
>> please?  I am seeing it on Linux in tty mode, with a "--without-x"
>> complied emacs.
>
> Check screenshots from http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=17497,
> most probably you hit the same known issue.

I can't see plain image file screenshots, but the (terse) description in
the bug report sort of matches what I see, so likely this is the same
issue.  Thanks for pointing this out.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕

* Re: The text-mode menu looks very broken in emacs-24
@ 2014-06-18 14:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-18 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Lang; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Mario Lang <mlang@delysid.org>
> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:50:43 +0200
>
> Just tried the text-mode menu in emacs-24 branch, and it is rather
> broken.  It is kind of hard for me to describe the bug in detail, but
> scrolling through the menu items of the "Edit" menu gives me randomly
> wrong aligned menu items.  "Undo" is not aligned with the rest of the
> menu, but aligned to the left of the screen.  Quitting the menu gives me
> left-over characters from these wrong-aligned menu items.
>
> Can someone experienced with the new text mode menu take a look at this
> please?  I am seeing it on Linux in tty mode, with a "--without-x"
> complied emacs.

About 1.5 months ago, you tried the menus with a patch I sent, and
said that it was "exactly what you was looking for".  Did menus work
OK then, but not now?  If so, what, if anything, has changed since
then, in terms of your system configuration, the way you build Emacs,
or the terminal emulation software you are using?

* Re: The text-mode menu looks very broken in emacs-24
@ 2014-06-18 18:29   ` Mario Lang
From: Mario Lang @ 2014-06-18 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Mario Lang <mlang@delysid.org>
>> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:50:43 +0200
>>
>> Just tried the text-mode menu in emacs-24 branch, and it is rather
>> broken.  It is kind of hard for me to describe the bug in detail, but
>> scrolling through the menu items of the "Edit" menu gives me randomly
>> wrong aligned menu items.  "Undo" is not aligned with the rest of the
>> menu, but aligned to the left of the screen.  Quitting the menu gives me
>> left-over characters from these wrong-aligned menu items.
>>
>> Can someone experienced with the new text mode menu take a look at this
>> please?  I am seeing it on Linux in tty mode, with a "--without-x"
>> complied emacs.
>
> About 1.5 months ago, you tried the menus with a patch I sent, and
> said that it was "exactly what you was looking for".  Did menus work
> OK then, but not now?

Yes.  When I tested the cursor motion changes about 1 1/2 months ago, I
didn't see any display glitches.  However, I tested trunk back then, and not
emacs-24, to be exact.

> If so, what, if anything, has changed since then, in terms of your
> system configuration, the way you build Emacs, or the terminal
> emulation software you are using?

Nothing, except that this time I tried emacs-24.  I noticed you reworked
the patch just a few days ago, maybe that introduced the glitches?

Note that the cursor is placed correctly at the beginning of the menu
item, even if the menu item location is actually incorrect.  So the
cursor motion fix seems "fine", i.e., sync to the display glitches.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕

* Re: The text-mode menu looks very broken in emacs-24
@ 2014-06-18 18:44     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-06-18 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Lang; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Mario Lang <mlang@delysid.org>
> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 20:29:24 +0200
>
> > About 1.5 months ago, you tried the menus with a patch I sent, and
> > said that it was "exactly what you was looking for".  Did menus work
> > OK then, but not now?
>
> Yes.  When I tested the cursor motion changes about 1 1/2 months ago, I
> didn't see any display glitches.  However, I tested trunk back then, and not
> emacs-24, to be exact.

Please try the trunk again.  The menus code is identical in both
branches.  Moreover, Dmitry reported bug 17497 for the trunk, not for
the release branch.  So I don't think this is the reason.

> > If so, what, if anything, has changed since then, in terms of your
> > system configuration, the way you build Emacs, or the terminal
> > emulation software you are using?
>
> Nothing, except that this time I tried emacs-24.  I noticed you reworked
> the patch just a few days ago, maybe that introduced the glitches?

No, the rework was intended to maybe solve the problems that were
reported before the changes I made.

> Note that the cursor is placed correctly at the beginning of the menu
> item, even if the menu item location is actually incorrect.

You mean, the cursor is at the menu item even when that menu item is
in the wrong position?  IOW, the cursor is also in the wrong position,
near the wrongly positioned menu item?

> So the cursor motion fix seems "fine", i.e., sync to the display
> glitches.

Writing the menu item involves moving the cursor to the menu item
location first, so if that movement gets the cursor to incorrect
position, it will probably do that  always.