* [ELPA] programmer-dvorak input method
@ 2015-12-28 10:00 Joakim Jalap
From: Joakim Jalap @ 2015-12-28 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello party people!

I thought I'd give this another go. Attached is a file with a new input
method. Maybe somebody other than me will find it useful :). John
thought it would fit best in ELPA.

I have signed the FSF papers.

-- Joakim

[-- Attachment #2: programmer-dvorak.el --]

* Re: [ELPA] programmer-dvorak input method
@ 2015-12-28 16:13 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-28 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Jalap; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Joakim Jalap <joakim.jalap@fastmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 11:00:12 +0100
>
> I thought I'd give this another go. Attached is a file with a new input
> method. Maybe somebody other than me will find it useful :). John
> thought it would fit best in ELPA.

Thanks.

Two comments:

 . Could you please expand the doc string so as to explain a bit more
   about the utility of this input method?  Who would like to use it
   and for what purposes?

 . I rather think that input methods should all be bundled: they are
   too small to justify a separate package, and too basic to ask users
   to download them when they need them.

* Re: [ELPA] programmer-dvorak input method
@ 2015-12-28 20:33   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-12-28 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Joakim Jalap, emacs-devel

>  . I rather think that input methods should all be bundled: they are
>    too small to justify a separate package, and too basic to ask users
>    to download them when they need them.

I'm not against that, provided they need little maintenance after having been
added. Does this mean created an "extra-inputs" project on ELPA, into which
all these additions get added?

* Re: [ELPA] programmer-dvorak input method
@ 2015-12-29  3:35     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-29  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: joakim.jalap, emacs-devel

> From: John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com>
> Cc: Joakim Jalap <joakim.jalap@fastmail.com>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 12:33:21 -0800

> >  . I rather think that input methods should all be bundled: they are
> >    too small to justify a separate package, and too basic to ask users
> >    to download them when they need them.
>
> I'm not against that, provided they need little maintenance after having been
> added. Does this mean created an "extra-inputs" project on ELPA, into which
> all these additions get added?

If that question was for me, I'm not sure I understand it.

* Re: [ELPA] programmer-dvorak input method
@ 2015-12-29  4:02       ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-12-29  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: joakim.jalap, emacs-devel

>> >  . I rather think that input methods should all be bundled: they are
>> >    too small to justify a separate package, and too basic to ask users
>> >    to download them when they need them.
>>
>> I'm not against that, provided they need little maintenance after having been
>> added. Does this mean created an "extra-inputs" project on ELPA, into which
>> all these additions get added?

> If that question was for me, I'm not sure I understand it.

It was for you. So I'll just ask back: What were you suggesting the answer be
to your point above?

* Re: [ELPA] programmer-dvorak input method
@ 2015-12-29  8:15   ` Joakim Jalap
From: Joakim Jalap @ 2015-12-29  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>  . Could you please expand the doc string so as to explain a bit more
>    about the utility of this input method?  Who would like to use it
>    and for what purposes?

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Is this better?

@ 2015-12-29  8:31         ` Joakim Jalap
From: Joakim Jalap @ 2015-12-29  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I'm not against that, provided they need little maintenance after having been
>>> added. Does this mean created an "extra-inputs" project on ELPA, into which
>>> all these additions get added?
>
>> If that question was for me, I'm not sure I understand it.
>
> It was for you. So I'll just ask back: What were you suggesting the answer be
> to your point above?

If I may be so bold as to speak for Eli, what I _think_ he meant was
that input methods should be bundled with "core" Emacs, and not reside
in ELPA, since they impose no maintenance burden. And personally I think
that sounds good. :)

But I'm new to the game, so I leave it up to you guys to make the best
decision :)

* Re: [ELPA] programmer-dvorak input method
@ 2015-12-29 15:58           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-29 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Jalap; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Joakim Jalap <joakim.jalap@fastmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:31:57 +0100

> >> If that question was for me, I'm not sure I understand it.
> >
> > It was for you. So I'll just ask back: What were you suggesting the answer be
> > to your point above?
>
> If I may be so bold as to speak for Eli, what I _think_ he meant was
> that input methods should be bundled with "core" Emacs, and not reside
> in ELPA

Yes, that's what I meant.  Sorry for my ambiguous wording.

* Re: [ELPA] programmer-dvorak input method
@ 2015-12-29 16:57             ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-12-29 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Joakim Jalap, emacs-devel

>> If I may be so bold as to speak for Eli, what I _think_ he meant was
>> that input methods should be bundled with "core" Emacs, and not reside
>> in ELPA

> Yes, that's what I meant.  Sorry for my ambiguous wording.

Ah, OK, that's fine with me then.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ELPA] programmer-dvorak input method
@ 2015-12-29 17:33     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-29 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Jalap; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Joakim Jalap <joakim.jalap@fastmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:15:25 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>

> >  . Could you please expand the doc string so as to explain a bit more
> >    about the utility of this input method?  Who would like to use it
> >    and for what purposes?
> >

> Thanks for the feedback. :)
>
> Is this better?

Yes, thanks.

* Re: [ELPA] programmer-dvorak input method
@ 2015-12-31 16:04     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-31 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Jalap; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Joakim Jalap <joakim.jalap@fastmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:15:25 +0100
>
> >  . Could you please expand the doc string so as to explain a bit more
> >    about the utility of this input method?  Who would like to use it
> >    and for what purposes?
> >

> Thanks for the feedback. :)
>
> Is this better?

Thanks, pushed to emacs-25.

(I deleted the autoload cookie at the end, since it's not needed --
leim-list.el defines it automatically.)

* Re: [ELPA] programmer-dvorak input method
@ 2015-12-31 23:28       ` joakim.jalap
From: joakim.jalap @ 2015-12-31 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks! That's my first contribution!