* Building Emacs
@ 2008-06-24 11:51 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-06-24 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In the past I would use "make recompile" in the lisp directory followed by
"make" in the emacs directory because it was much faster than doing a
bootstrap, and because I have my own experimental versions of files in the lisp
directory that I don't want autoloading.

Now I'm not sure what "make" does.  It outputs "nil" so many times that any
meaningful message flashes by and it insists on generating autoloads for all
files in the lisp directory.

Is there a way to get the old behaviour.  It left problems from time to time
but I could generally see how to fix them.

* Re: Building Emacs
@ 2008-06-24 13:09 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-24 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: emacs-devel

> In the past I would use "make recompile" in the lisp directory
> followed by "make" in the emacs directory because it was much faster
> than doing a bootstrap, and because I have my own experimental
> versions of files in the lisp directory that I don't want autoloading.

> Now I'm not sure what "make" does.

It does pretty much what you did.

> It outputs "nil" so many times that any meaningful message flashes by

I don't see that.  Could you post some example session?

> and it insists on generating autoloads for all files in the
> lisp directory.

That was also the case in the past, except that your recipe simply never
updated the loaddefs.el file.

> Is there a way to get the old behaviour.  It left problems from time to time
> but I could generally see how to fix them.

How 'bout adding "no-autoloads" annotations to the files you don't
want autoloaded?

* Re: Building Emacs
@ 2008-06-24 13:26   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2008-06-24 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Nick Roberts, emacs-devel

>> In the past I would use "make recompile" in the lisp directory
>> followed by "make" in the emacs directory because it was much faster
>> than doing a bootstrap, and because I have my own experimental
>> versions of files in the lisp directory that I don't want autoloading.
>
>> Now I'm not sure what "make" does.
>
> It does pretty much what you did.
>
>> It outputs "nil" so many times that any meaningful message flashes by
>
> I don't see that.  Could you post some example session?

I think maybe Nick applied an early version of the window-group patch,
which contains some debug statements I forgot.

Could you try removing those, Nick?

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Building Emacs
@ 2008-06-24 21:32     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2008-06-24 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

 > >> It outputs "nil" so many times that any meaningful message flashes by
 > >
 > > I don't see that.  Could you post some example session?
 >
 > I think maybe Nick applied an early version of the window-group patch,
 > which contains some debug statements I forgot.
 >
 > Could you try removing those, Nick?

Yes, you're right.  Thanks.  However, it doesn't explain why it tries to
bootstrap when I just do make:

   nickrob@kahikatea:~/emacs/build$ make
   boot=bootstrap-emacs;                         \

I don't recall this happening before.  I had presumed that this is due to this
change:

2008-06-22  Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>

	* Makefile.in (${lisp} ${SOME_MACHINE_LISP}, ../lisp/loaddefs.el):
	Use $(BOOTSTRAPEMACS) rather than witness-emacs.

Maybe it has something to do with using a separate build directory
(~/emacs/build/) to the source (~/emacs/src)

 > >> and it insists on generating autoloads for all files in the
 > >> lisp directory.
 > >
 > > That was also the case in the past, except that your recipe simply never
 > > updated the loaddefs.el file.

I'm not sure what you're saying but I'm saying the behaviour appears to have
changed.

 > >> Is there a way to get the old behaviour.  It left problems from time to time
 > >> but I could generally see how to fix them.
 > >
 > > How 'bout adding "no-autoloads" annotations to the files you don't
 > > want autoloaded?

I could do but it's more inconvenient than my previous method.

* Re: Building Emacs
@ 2008-06-25  1:37       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-25  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: joakim, emacs-devel

> Maybe it has something to do with using a separate build directory
> (~/emacs/build/) to the source (~/emacs/src)

It could very well be: I never used a separate build directory, so
I don't know what goes where and what can be assumed to be where, so
whenever I touch the Makefiles, I tend to introduce problems in
this area.
The fact that the Makefiles seem to contain somewhere around 0 bytes of
comments about this doesn't help, of course.

>> > That was also the case in the past, except that your recipe simply never
>> > updated the loaddefs.el file.
> I'm not sure what you're saying but I'm saying the behaviour appears to have
> changed.

No doubt, it has changed.

>> > How 'bout adding "no-autoloads" annotations to the files you don't
>> > want autoloaded?
> I could do but it's more inconvenient than my previous method.

What can i say: the Makefile is designed to build Emacs, not some local
derivative.  This said, I have my own local derivative with about
1MB's worth of changes, and I never needed to silence autoloads, so
I find your situation rather odd.  Of course, you can also hack your
local derivative to use different Makefile rules ;-)

* Building Emacs
@ 2020-01-18  3:23 Vinicius Latorre
From: Vinicius Latorre @ 2020-01-18  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've just cloned Emacs from git ant tried to build Emacs on GNU Linux
(Debian 9), but the configure script is missing.

So, I tried to generate via autoconf, but I got the following error:

configure.ac:54: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_ECHO
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:1695: error: possibly undefined macro: m4_default

Am I missing something?

* Re: Building Emacs
@ 2020-01-18  3:35 ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-01-18  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> On Jan 18, 2020, at 12:23, Vinicius Latorre <viniciusjl.gnu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've just cloned Emacs from git ant tried to build Emacs on GNU Linux (Debian 9), but the configure script is missing.
>
> So, I tried to generate via autoconf, but I got the following error:
>
> configure.ac:54: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_ECHO
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure.ac:1695: error: possibly undefined macro: m4_default
>
> Am I missing something?

Have you tried ./configure ?

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: Building Emacs
@ 2020-01-18  3:37 ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2020-01-18  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinicius Latorre; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 22:24, Vinicius Latorre <viniciusjl.gnu@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just cloned Emacs from git ant tried to build Emacs on GNU Linux (Debian 9), but the configure script is missing.
>
> So, I tried to generate via autoconf

Try ./autogen.sh instead, as described in INSTALL.REPO.

* Re: Building Emacs
@ 2020-01-18  3:37   ` Vinicius Latorre
From: Vinicius Latorre @ 2020-01-18  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

As I said there is no configure script.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 12:36 AM Jean-Christophe Helary <
jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:

> > On Jan 18, 2020, at 12:23, Vinicius Latorre <viniciusjl.gnu@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just cloned Emacs from git ant tried to build Emacs on GNU Linux
> (Debian 9), but the configure script is missing.
> >
> > So, I tried to generate via autoconf, but I got the following error:
> >
> > configure.ac:54: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_ECHO
> >       If this token and others are legitimate, please use
> m4_pattern_allow.
> >       See the Autoconf documentation.
> > configure.ac:1695: error: possibly undefined macro: m4_default
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>

> Have you tried ./configure ?
>

> Jean-Christophe Helary
> http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune

* Re: Building Emacs
@ 2020-01-18  3:42   ` Vinicius Latorre
From: Vinicius Latorre @ 2020-01-18  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Postavsky; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ok, using ./autogen.sh the ./configure was generated, I didn't notice
INSTALL.REPO, only the INSTALL.

BTW, sorry my ignorance, but why are there 2 files about installation?

Thanks

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 12:37 AM Noam Postavsky <npostavs@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 22:24, Vinicius Latorre <viniciusjl.gnu@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I've just cloned Emacs from git ant tried to build Emacs on GNU Linux
> (Debian 9), but the configure script is missing.
> >
> > So, I tried to generate via autoconf
>
> Try ./autogen.sh instead, as described in INSTALL.REPO.

* Re: Building Emacs
@ 2020-01-18  3:50     ` Jean-Christophe Helary
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-01-18  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> On Jan 18, 2020, at 12:42, Vinicius Latorre <viniciusjl.gnu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ok, using ./autogen.sh the ./configure was generated,

Sorry for that, I misunderstood your original message.

> I didn't notice INSTALL.REPO, only the INSTALL.
>
> BTW, sorry my ignorance, but why are there 2 files about installation?

The first one looks like it talks about installing from the git repo, the other one probably from a source package in your distribution ?

But it's confusing and they probably should be merged.

@ 2020-01-18  3:50     ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2020-01-18  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinicius Latorre; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 22:42, Vinicius Latorre <viniciusjl.gnu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, using ./autogen.sh the ./configure was generated, I didn't notice INSTALL.REPO, only the INSTALL.
>
> BTW, sorry my ignorance, but why are there 2 files about installation?

INSTALL is for installation from a release tarball (which includes
./configure pre-generated), INSTALL.REPO has extra info about
installation from the git repository.

* Re: Building Emacs
@ 2020-01-18  3:53       ` Vinicius Latorre
From: Vinicius Latorre @ 2020-01-18  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks for all explanation.

Best regards

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 12:51 AM Jean-Christophe Helary <

@ 2020-01-18  3:55     ` Eric Brown
From: Eric Brown @ 2020-01-18  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinicius Latorre; +Cc: Noam Postavsky, emacs-devel

Vinicius Latorre <viniciusjl.gnu@gmail.com> writes:

> Ok, using ./autogen.sh the ./configure was generated, I didn't notice
> INSTALL.REPO, only the INSTALL.
>
> BTW, sorry my ignorance, but why are there 2 files about installation?
>
> Thanks

One is for install from a release (e.g. 26.3), and the other is for
install from git repo.   There are different instructions, such as `make
bootstrap' when building from the git repo.

* Re: Building Emacs
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-01-19  5:41     ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2020-01-19  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinicius Latorre; +Cc: Emacs Development

On 1/17/20 7:42 PM, Vinicius Latorre wrote:
> I didn't notice
> INSTALL.REPO, only the INSTALL.

The first paragraph of INSTALL says, "For information about building from a
repository checkout (rather than a release), also read the file INSTALL.REPO."

* Re: Building Emacs
@ 2020-01-19 23:53       ` Vinicius Latorre
From: Vinicius Latorre @ 2020-01-19 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: Emacs Development

Indeed.

From time to time, I always download Emacs sources and build Emacs from
scratch, so I  followed a script that was based on INSTALL file from some
years ago when INSTALL.REPO didn't exist.

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 2:41 AM Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On 1/17/20 7:42 PM, Vinicius Latorre wrote:
> > I didn't notice
> > INSTALL.REPO, only the INSTALL.
>
> The first paragraph of INSTALL says, "For information about building from
> repository checkout (rather than a release), also read the file
> INSTALL.REPO."

* Re: Building Emacs
@ 2020-01-19 23:56         ` Vinicius Latorre
From: Vinicius Latorre @ 2020-01-19 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)