* please giving focus on the this build error message!
       [not found] <7d3218b40512050606i5e99dfbbk29428e137d7d50f6@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2005-12-05 14:14 ` zhiqiang yu
From: zhiqiang yu @ 2005-12-05 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: zhiqiang yu <yzq.kevin@gmail.com>
Date: Dec 5, 2005 10:06 PM
Subject: please giving focus on the this build error message!
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org.

is that a big problem, i have ever seek for help in emacs mail list for many
times for the same error. but to my disappointment, i got no exact answers.
can anyone could help to find out the solution.

i built the emacs of CVS on winxp with nmake. the configure could be very
smooth without additional image lib supporting. however during the nmake
bootstrap process, i got the following error which made the build process
stop.

D:\soft\emacs\lisp>"D:\soft\emacs\lisp/../bin/emacs.exe" -batch
--no-init-file -
-no-site-file --multibyte -l loaddefs -f batch-byte-compile-if-not-done
url/vc-d
av.el

In toplevel form:
url/vc-dav.el:29:1:Error: Cannot open doc string file
"d:/soft/emacs/etc/DOC"
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'for' : return code '0x1'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\VC98\bin\N
MAKE.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

could anyone help me with this error message? thx!

* Re: please giving focus on the this build error message!
@ 2005-12-05 18:48   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-12-05 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 22:14:08 +0800
> From: zhiqiang yu <yzq.kevin@gmail.com>
>
> From: zhiqiang yu <yzq.kevin@gmail.com>
> Date: Dec 5, 2005 10:06 PM
> Subject: please giving focus on the this build error message!
> To: emacs-devel@gnu.org.
>
> is that a big problem, i have ever seek for help in emacs mail list for many
> times for the same error. but to my disappointment, i got no exact answers.

That's because no one have seen such a problem, I think.

> can anyone could help to find out the solution.

I will try.

> In toplevel form:
> url/vc-dav.el:29:1:Error: Cannot open doc string file "d:/soft/emacs/etc/DOC"
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'for' : return code '0x1'

Is there a file named "d:/soft/emacs/etc/DOC" at that point of the
bootstrap process?

* Re: please giving focus on the this build error message!
@ 2005-12-05 21:38   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-12-05 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-commit, bug-gnu-emacs, help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel

Am 05.12.2005 um 15:14 schrieb zhiqiang yu:

> In toplevel form:
> url/vc-dav.el:29:1:Error: Cannot open doc string file
> "d:/soft/emacs/etc/DOC"
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'for' : return code '0x1'
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\VC98\bin\N
> MAKE.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.

I suppose you have the documentation for nmake. So read it and find out
what these return codes mean!

During making Emacs the DOC file is first deleted, then some output is
redirected into the new DOC file.

Could you check what permissions DOC and etc have? What are the
permissions for url/vc-dav.el and url/vc-dav.elc and the url directory?
Can you byte-compile url/vc-dav.el with another Emacs of the same
version?

Ahemm, can you find out what the string
"D:\soft\emacs\lisp/../bin/emacs.exe" means in Windows? Notice the use
of \ and / !

--
Greetings

   Pete

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.

* Re: please giving focus on the this build error message!
@ 2005-12-06  1:43   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-06  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-commit, bug-gnu-emacs, help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel

    i built the emacs of CVS on winxp with nmake.

I don't use Windows (it is non-free and therefore immoral), so I can't
help debug this.  (I expect that those who try to support Emacs on
Windows will try to debug this.)  But I do ave one point to make.

In hacker terminology, calling something a "win" is a form of praise.
If you wish to praise Microsoft Windows, you're free to do so; but if you
don't, then you might want to think twice about using the term "win95".

* Re: please giving focus on the this build error message!
@ 2005-12-06  4:32     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-12-06  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, yzq.kevin

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 22:38:30 +0100
> Cc: emacs-commit@gnu.org, bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org,
> 	emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Ahemm, can you find out what the string
> "D:\soft\emacs\lisp/../bin/emacs.exe" means in Windows? Notice the use
> of \ and / !

That's not a problem: Windows filesystem understands both styles of
slashes.

* Re: please giving focus on the this build error message!
@ 2005-12-07 13:34     ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2005-12-07 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-commit, bug-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel, help-gnu-emacs,
	zhiqiang yu

"Richard M. Stallman" <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> In hacker terminology, calling something a "win" is a form of praise.
> If you wish to praise Microsoft Windows, you're free to do so; but if you
> don't, then you might want to think twice about using the term "win95".

So it should be called "lose95".

scnr
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde

"Unix was the first OS where you could carry the media and system
documentation around in a briefcase. This was fixed in BSD4.2."

* Re: please giving focus on the this build error message!
@ 2005-12-07 15:18     ` Zhang Wei
From: Zhang Wei @ 2005-12-07 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, zhiqiang yu

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: zhiqiang yu <yzq.kevin@gmail.com>
>> Date: Dec 5, 2005 10:06 PM
>> Subject: please giving focus on the this build error message!
>> To: emacs-devel@gnu.org.
>>
>> is that a big problem, i have ever seek for help in emacs mail list for many
>> times for the same error. but to my disappointment, i got no exact answers.
>
> That's because no one have seen such a problem, I think.
I think this bug has been reported before. Consult the following link
for more information:

 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2005-01/msg00212.html

@ 2005-12-07 18:43       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-12-07 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, yzq.kevin

> Cc: zhiqiang yu <yzq.kevin@gmail.com>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Zhang Wei <id.brep@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:18:57 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: zhiqiang yu <yzq.kevin@gmail.com>
> >> Date: Dec 5, 2005 10:06 PM
> >> Subject: please giving focus on the this build error message!
> >> To: emacs-devel@gnu.org.
> >>
> >> is that a big problem, i have ever seek for help in emacs mail list for many
> >> times for the same error. but to my disappointment, i got no exact answers.
> >
> > That's because no one have seen such a problem, I think.
> I think this bug has been reported before. Consult the following link
> for more information:
>
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2005-01/msg00212.html

I meant that no Emacs developer have seen such a problem on his/her
machine.  For me, for example, bootstrap works on MS-Windows without
any problem at all.  As Stefan pointed out, the failure is strange,
since compilation should work even without DOC.  It's hard to debug
this without a reliable way of reproducing the failure.