* Re: master adfcc17: * lisp/vc/vc-dir.el: Commands to mark un/registered files (bug#34949)
       [not found] ` <20200402220817.0DD6F20CDD@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2020-04-03 15:22   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-04-03 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Juri Linkov

> +*** New commands 'vc-dir-mark-registered-files' (bound to '* r') and
> +'vc-dir-mark-unregistered-files'.

How 'bout a command to mark "same-state" files (i.e. the mark the files
that are in the same state (unregistered, added, removed, you name it)
as the current one)?

* Re: master adfcc17: * lisp/vc/vc-dir.el: Commands to mark un/registered files (bug#34949)
@ 2020-04-03 16:09     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2020-04-03 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel; +Cc: Juri Linkov

On 03.04.2020 18:22, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> How 'bout a command to mark "same-state" files (i.e. the mark the files
> that are in the same state (unregistered, added, removed, you name it)
> as the current one)?

That's what vc-dir-mark-all-files does (bound to 'M').

* Re: master adfcc17: * lisp/vc/vc-dir.el: Commands to mark un/registered files (bug#34949)
@ 2020-04-04 23:33       ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2020-04-04 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

>> How 'bout a command to mark "same-state" files (i.e. the mark the files
>> that are in the same state (unregistered, added, removed, you name it)
>> as the current one)?
>
> That's what vc-dir-mark-all-files does (bound to 'M').

Indeed, only with one drawback that it can't mark all added/removed/edited
files at once.

Other questions related to this commit from bug#34949:

> I rather meant binding to 'r' directly instead of '* r' if we only add
> one binding.

'*' has nice mnemonic of the verb "mark" (used in Dired as well), so
'* r' means "mark registered (files)".  The prefix will allow more keys.

> With '* r', we can just as well add '* u' now. Up to you, of course.

'* u' was not added because Drew opposed on the ground that it will
conflict with the same keybinding in Dired where it is bound to
'dired-unmark'.

* Re: master adfcc17: * lisp/vc/vc-dir.el: Commands to mark un/registered files (bug#34949)
@ 2020-04-05  0:04         ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2020-04-05  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On 05.04.2020 02:33, Juri Linkov wrote:
>> I rather meant binding to 'r' directly instead of '* r' if we only add
>> one binding.
> '*' has nice mnemonic of the verb "mark" (used in Dired as well), so
> '* r' means "mark registered (files)".  The prefix will allow more keys.
>
>> With '* r', we can just as well add '* u' now. Up to you, of course.
> '* u' was not added because Drew opposed on the ground that it will
> conflict with the same keybinding in Dired where it is bound to
> 'dired-unmark'.

So we "can add more keys", but at the same time can't add the most
likely current candidate?

Why don't we go ahead and pick one of the stools.

* RE: master adfcc17: * lisp/vc/vc-dir.el: Commands to mark un/registered files (bug#34949)
@ 2020-04-05  0:51         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2020-04-05  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov, Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

> '* u' was not added because Drew opposed on the ground that it will
> conflict with the same keybinding in Dired where it is bound to
> 'dired-unmark'.

I gave reasons for not conflicting with Dired bindings,
if VC Dired is derived from Dired, and especially if
such bindings make sense also for VC Dired.

But there can be other, opposing reasons to repurpose
a given Dired binding, again especially if the Dired
binding is not so useful in VC Dired.

There's no hard and fast rule, IMO.  Such things are
judgment calls, after weighing pros & cons.  It's you
who should decide what to do here, for VC Dired.

* Re: master adfcc17: * lisp/vc/vc-dir.el: Commands to mark un/registered files (bug#34949)
@ 2020-04-05 22:50           ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2020-04-05 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel, Stefan Monnier, Dmitry Gutov

> I gave reasons for not conflicting with Dired bindings,
> if VC Dired is derived from Dired, and especially if
> such bindings make sense also for VC Dired.
>
> But there can be other, opposing reasons to repurpose
> a given Dired binding, again especially if the Dired
> binding is not so useful in VC Dired.
>
> There's no hard and fast rule, IMO.  Such things are
> judgment calls, after weighing pros & cons.  It's you
> who should decide what to do here, for VC Dired.

Ok, then I'd leave this to Dmitry to decide what to do here,
because currently I'm already completely satisfied with
the new keybinding for marking registered files that was
too cumbersome to do earlier when it required marking
separately each of file types (added, removed, edited :)

* Re: master adfcc17: * lisp/vc/vc-dir.el: Commands to mark un/registered files (bug#34949)
@ 2020-04-06  0:02             ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2020-04-06  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov, Drew Adams; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On 06.04.2020 01:50, Juri Linkov wrote:
> Ok, then I'd leave this to Dmitry to decide what to do here,
> because currently I'm already completely satisfied with
> the new keybinding for marking registered files that was
> too cumbersome to do earlier when it required marking
> separately each of file types (added, removed, edited:)

Okay then.

I have previously outlined two options for changing this (changing '* r'
to 'r' or adding a binding for ...-unregistered as well). Do you
particularly dislike either of them?

* Re: master adfcc17: * lisp/vc/vc-dir.el: Commands to mark un/registered files (bug#34949)
@ 2020-04-06 23:51               ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2020-04-06 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Drew Adams, emacs-devel

> I have previously outlined two options for changing this (changing '* r' to
> 'r' or adding a binding for ...-unregistered as well). Do you particularly
> dislike either of them?

IMHO, using a prefix '*' has a clear benefit of allowing more
marking keybindings in the future.

* Re: master adfcc17: * lisp/vc/vc-dir.el: Commands to mark un/registered files (bug#34949)
@ 2020-04-10  3:39                 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2020-04-10  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Drew Adams, emacs-devel

On 07.04.2020 02:51, Juri Linkov wrote:
>> I have previously outlined two options for changing this (changing '* r' to
>> 'r' or adding a binding for ...-unregistered as well). Do you particularly
>> dislike either of them?
> IMHO, using a prefix '*' has a clear benefit of allowing more
> marking keybindings in the future.

On the other hand, it's not like we're forbidden to change the bindings
in the future, including moving to this prefix if more related commands
are added.