* [Annoyance] resizing of echo area is too eager
@ 2003-04-07 17:31 Wedler, Christoph
From: Wedler, Christoph @ 2003-04-07 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Test using Emacs-21.2.95.1.]

Sometimes, the echo area is unnecessarily resized, e.g. reserves too
many lines:

 1. Select input method `korean-symbol':
       C-u C-\ korean-symbol RET

 2. In the buffer, enter the 4 characters
       f r a c

  => Emacs reserves 2 lines for the echo area, while only one is
  necessary

My guess is that this is due to var-width fonts -- if I define a input
method producing ASCII chars, this annoyance does not happen:

    (quail-define-package "test" "test" "test" t)
    (quail-define-rules ("ab" "abc"))

 1. Select input method `test':
       C-u C-\ test RET

 2. In the buffer, enter the 2 characters
       a b

  => Emacs correctly only reserves 1 lines for the echo area

- Christoph

* RE: [Annoyance] resizing of echo area is too eager
@ 2003-05-02 12:36 Wedler, Christoph
From: Wedler, Christoph @ 2003-05-02 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa wrote:

 >> Sometimes, the echo area is unnecessarily resized, e.g. reserves too
 >> many lines: [...]

 >> My guess is that this is due to var-width fonts ...

 > I guess so.  Perhaps, your Korean font is taller than the
 > frame's default font.  What happens if you evalute this?
 > 	(message _SOME_KOREAN_STRING_)

The same (the echo area is unnecessarily resized).

 > Anyway, I've just changed quail to use `message' for showing
 > the guidance in CVS HEAD.  So, if you set
 > resize-mini-windows to nil, the echo area won't be resized.

Hm, this works if I `setq' that variable before calling `message', but

   (let ((resize-mini-windows nil)) (message _SOME_KOREAN_STRING_))

still resizes the echo area.  Any idea how to disable the resizing for
one `message'?  (A real fix = correct behaviour w/ var-width fonts would
also be OK.)

@ 2003-05-07 19:32 Wedler, Christoph
From: Wedler, Christoph @ 2003-05-07 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa wrote:
 > In article <67B8CED503F3D511BB9F0008C75DAD66054855C4@dewdfx17>, "Wedler, Christoph" <christoph.wedler@sap.com> writes:

 >>> [...] What happens if you evalute this?
 >>> (message _SOME_KOREAN_STRING_)

 >> The same (the echo area is unnecessarily resized).

 > Is it really unnecessary?  The reason why it is resized is
 > that Emacs detects that the message doesn't fit in the
 > height of the normal line.  Perhaps, you font has
 > unnecessarily big ascent or descent value.

You're right, the ascent is one point higher.  I see, Emacs then wants
to increase the height of the echo area, but its height must always be a
multiple of the height of the default font.

 >> Hm, this works if I `setq' that variable before calling `message', but

 >> (let ((resize-mini-windows nil)) (message _SOME_KOREAN_STRING_))

 >> still resizes the echo area.

 > Yes, because redisplay happens only after the execution of the above
 > code is finished.

Hm.  Unfortunately, Stefans idea didn't work: the echo area would be
resized after the `sit-for' period.

 > By they way, even with the default value of resize-mini-windows
 > (grow-only), the behaviour of quail input method should be improved.
 > Previously, it resizes the echo area so frequently, but now it makes
 > the area taller just once, and keep that hight until you turns the
 > input method off.  Could you verify it?

Well, I use Emacs-21.3...  I could try the development version if...

Some time ago, Savannah's WebCVS offered to download a tarball of the
head revision.  I don't see this anymore...

@ 2003-05-08 17:33 Wedler, Christoph
From: Wedler, Christoph @ 2003-05-08 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa wrote:

 >> Hm.  Unfortunately, Stefans idea didn't work: the echo area would be
 >> resized after the `sit-for' period.

 > I think it's not resized after the `sit-for', but the echo
 > area is redisplayed after the execution of the whole code.

Err, sorry, I meant that...

 >>> By they way, even with the default value of resize-mini-windows
 >>> (grow-only), the behaviour of quail input method should be improved.
 >>> Previously, it resizes the echo area so frequently, but now it makes
 >>> the area taller just once, and keep that hight until you turns the
 >>> input method off.  Could you verify it?

No, with Emacs-21.2.95, changing quail.el doesn't change the behaviour
(echo area has 2 lines only if korean characters are displayed there,
after the character has been inserted, the echo area is back to 1 line).

(face-font 'default)
=> "-Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--15-140-75-75-C-90-ISO8859-1"

@ 2003-05-14 18:11 Wedler, Christoph
From: Wedler, Christoph @ 2003-05-14 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa wrote:

 >> No, with Emacs-21.2.95, changing quail.el doesn't change the behaviour
 >> (echo area has 2 lines only if korean characters are displayed there,
 >> after the character has been inserted, the echo area is back to 1 line).

 > Ah, sure, sorry.  My change just suppressed the resizing
 > while you are typing Korean letters.  Previously, each time
 > you type a key, the echo area was resized.

OK, I see that difference (with a key sequence for a quail rule which is
also a prefix of the key sequence of another quail rule).

Yes, your change in quail.el has improved things.

 > It seems that there's no way other than setting resize-mini-windows
 > to nil to completely suppressing the resizing.

Hm, I use a idle-time `message' (like in eldoc.el) with non-default
characters in my package X-Symbol...  Setting the user option
`resize-mini-windows' there wouldn't be nice.

- Christoph