* Emacs 24.4 released
@ 2014-10-20 19:32 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-10-20 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Version 24.4 of the Emacs text editor is now available.

For more information on Emacs, see:
  http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

You can retrieve the source from your nearest GNU mirror by using one
of the following links:
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-24.4.tar.xz
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-24.4.tar.gz

Or choose a mirror explicitly from the list at:
  http://www.gnu.org/prep/ftp.html

Mirrors may take some time to update; the main GNU ftp server is at:
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/

Highlights of this release include:

  - A built-in web browser (M-x eww)

  - Improved multi-monitor and fullscreen support

  - "Electric" indentation is enabled by default

  - Support for saving and restoring the state of frames and windows

  - Emacs Lisp packages can now be digitally signed

  - A new "advice" mechanism for Emacs Lisp

  - File notification support

  - Pixel-based resizing for frames and windows

  - Support for menus in text terminals

  - A new rectangular mark mode (C-x SPC)

There are many more changes; for a summary see the etc/NEWS file,
which you can view from Emacs with `C-h n'.

For the complete list of changes and the people who made them, see the
various ChangeLog files in the source distribution.  For a summary
of all the people who have contributed to Emacs, see the etc/AUTHORS file.

Printed copies of the Emacs manual are available for purchase from the
Free Software Foundation's online store at:
  http://shop.fsf.org/product/emacs-manual/

(The version on sale is updated for Emacs 24.2, but it remains a great
reference book for current Emacs, and buying a copy is a great way to
support the work of the FSF.)

* Re: Emacs 24.4 released
@ 2014-10-20 21:24 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-10-20 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Version 24.4 of the Emacs text editor is now available.

A really big thank you to Glenn for taking care of the release process.
A really big thank you to the many contributors.

Apparently, Glenn didn't find it fun enough, so we're looking for
someone else to take care of the release process next time around
(whether that will be 24.5 or 25.1).  It doesn't require a lot of work,
but it takes a fair it of care to get things just right, and some
experience with our coding and commit practices is definitely helpful.

Also, next time around, we'll try to clarify who is allowed to commit to
the release branch when, and appoint someone as "veto in chief" (ideally
the same person as the one who takes care of the rest of the release
process).

* Re: Emacs 24.4 released
@ 2014-10-21  6:04   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-10-21  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> A really big thank you to Glenn for taking care of the release process.
> A really big thank you to the many contributors.

A really big thank you to everyone and to you!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Emacs 24.4 released
@ 2014-10-22 13:25     ` Uwe Siart
From: Uwe Siart @ 2014-10-22 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

>> A really big thank you to Glenn for taking care of the release process.
>> A really big thank you to the many contributors.
>
> A really big thank you to everyone and to you!

Let me attach myself to this and say many thanks for this wonderful and
unique editor.

Will there be an "official" windows port? I'm quite happy with Dani's
distribution from <http://sourceforge.net/projects/emacs-bin/>. Just out
of curiosity.

--
Uwe

* Re: Emacs 24.4 released
@ 2014-10-22 18:13       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-10-22 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Siart; +Cc: emacs-devel

Uwe Siart wrote:

> Will there be an "official" windows port?

The official MS Windows port is contained in the same source tarfile as
everything else. I guess you mean "will there be pre-built binaries on
ftp.gnu.org for MS Windows users who are unable to compile it
themselves?". With 24.3, that took ~ one week.

* RE: Emacs 24.4 released
@ 2014-10-22 18:26         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-10-22 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris, Uwe Siart; +Cc: emacs-devel

> > Will there be an "official" windows port?
>
> The official MS Windows port is contained in the same source tarfile
> as everything else. I guess you mean "will there be pre-built binaries
> on ftp.gnu.org for MS Windows users who are unable to compile it
> themselves?". With 24.3, that took ~ one week.

See also: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18795#34

I said "a day or two" there.  But Glenn is no doubt right that it
sometimes took a few more days.

* Re: Emacs 24.4 released
@ 2014-10-23 10:34         ` Uwe Siart
From: Uwe Siart @ 2014-10-23 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> I guess you mean "will there be pre-built binaries on ftp.gnu.org for
> MS Windows users who are unable to compile it themselves?".

Yes, right, that's what I intended to ask. Thanks for clarifying.

--
Uwe

* Re: Emacs 24.4 released
@ 2014-10-23 11:23 ` Aurélien Aptel
From: Aurélien Aptel @ 2014-10-23 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

Thanks everyone involved in this release, especially Glenn!

I didn't follow the latest development of the repo conversion to git.
I was under the impression that Eric managed to solve most issues and
that we were waiting for the release to happen before the switch. If
this is true when can we expect the conversion to happen? Is there
something we can do to help?

* Re: Emacs 24.4 released
@ 2014-10-23 13:22   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-10-23 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélien Aptel; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

Aurélien Aptel wrote:

> Is there something we can do to help?

Yes, you can start a new thread, for what I am sure will be endless VCS
discussion. :)

* Re: Emacs 24.4 released
@ 2014-10-23 13:51     ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2014-10-23 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris, Aurélien Aptel; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

> Yes, you can start a new thread, for what I am sure will be endless VCS
> discussion. :)

Après moi, le déluge :(

martin

* Git transition (was: Emacs 24.4 released)
@ 2014-10-25 16:35 ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2014-10-25 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Woo-hoo! Thanks, all!

With that prerequisite out of the way, what is the proposed schedule for
the Git transition? I can't wait :-).

--
Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> aka <Bill.Wohler@nasa.gov>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/

* Re: Git transition (was: Emacs 24.4 released)
@ 2014-10-25 17:19   ` Eric S. Raymond
From: Eric S. Raymond @ 2014-10-25 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Wohler; +Cc: emacs-devel

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>:
> Woo-hoo! Thanks, all!
>
> With that prerequisite out of the way, what is the proposed schedule for
> the Git transition? I can't wait :-).

Target date is 11 Nov.

That means, from now on, *no bzr IDs in commit messages or changelogs*.

Every time you put in one of those, you potentially add 10 hours to the
transition time. Find a better way - quote the commit comment of
what you want to reference, or use a date/committer version stamp,
or something.

During the transition, three people will need to be be in real-time
contact via IRC.  Myself, the person who is responsible for the mirror
script, and some person with administrative access at Savannah.
Please identify yourselves for the audience :-).

We need to pick a time T on 11 Nov for the transition.  When we
schedule this will depend on some variables.  We need to pick a time
that day when all three persons will be available real time.  I need
to know that time *24 hours in advance*, bcause here's how it has
to go:

Sreps at T - 24 hours:

1. I email a transition warning to the dev list

Steps at T - 12 hours:

2. bzr repo is closed to commits; closure is announced by email

3. git mirror script is run one last time and disabled.

4. I start the last full conversion run.

Steps at T - 30 minutes:

5. Responsible persons rendezvous on IRC

6. We wait for my conversion to finish (if it's not already done).

7. I add a marker commit for the transition, changing (among a few other
things) the repository URLs and bzr-specific references in the tree. I
want to be able to do this and *not be in a tearing hurry*

8. Converted repo is pushed to Savannah.

Steps at T:

9. Completed conversion is announced to the dev list.

I want the real-time contact and the scheduling so that we will have
a team in place do deal with any technical problems that arise.  Because
if we do not do this, most assuredly the dread god Finagle and his mad
prophet Murphy will find some way to screw with us.

* RE: Git transition (was: Emacs 24.4 released)
@ 2014-10-25 17:43     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-10-25 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: esr, Bill Wohler; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Target date is 11 Nov.

Bombs away!  Maybe you can time it to end on the 11th hour GMT.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=eleventh+hour+of+the+eleventh+day+of+the+eleventh+month

* Re: Git transition
@ 2014-10-26 10:37       ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2014-10-26 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drew.adams; +Cc: esr, wohler, emacs-devel

[Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> (2014-10-25 17:43:46 UTC)]

> > Target date is 11 Nov.
>
> Bombs away!  Maybe you can time it to end on the 11th hour GMT.

That does seem like a rather drastic timing for people living in the US.
You expect them to work through the night?

Maybe, just maybe, if they schedule their sleep while the conversion
script runs …

– Harald

* Re: Git transition
@ 2014-10-26 12:37         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2014-10-26 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no> writes:

> [Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> (2014-10-25 17:43:46 UTC)]
>
>> > Target date is 11 Nov.
>>
>> Bombs away!  Maybe you can time it to end on the 11th hour GMT.
>
> That does seem like a rather drastic timing for people living in the US.
> You expect them to work through the night?
>
> Maybe, just maybe, if they schedule their sleep while the conversion
> script runs …

Well, one could pick 11:11 GMT+11...

--
David Kastrup