* emacs-20110131 windows binaries
@ 2011-01-31 23:34 Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2011-01-31 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: help-emacs-windows

The trunk was built and runs successfully on Windows.  Binaries have
been published in

http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

* Re: emacs-20110131 windows binaries
@ 2011-02-02  0:29 ` Christoph
From: Christoph @ 2011-02-02  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Sean,

On 1/31/2011 4:34 PM, Sean Sieger wrote:

> The trunk was built and runs successfully on Windows.  Binaries have
> been published in
>
> http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

Thanks for building this. I downloaded the build and noticed that two
files from the bin directory were missing:

digest-doc.exe
sorted-doc.exe

These are present in the build from 1-17-2011.

Any idea why these are missing?

Christoph

* Re: emacs-20110131 windows binaries
@ 2011-02-02  0:45   ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2011-02-02  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Christoph <cschol2112@googlemail.com> writes:

    Thanks for building this. I downloaded the build and noticed that two
    files from the bin directory were missing:

    digest-doc.exe
    sorted-doc.exe

    These are present in the build from 1-17-2011.

    Any idea why these are missing?

Nope.

* Re: emacs-20110131 windows binaries
@ 2011-02-02  4:04     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-02-02  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 19:45:58 -0500
>
> Christoph <cschol2112@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>     Thanks for building this. I downloaded the build and noticed that two
>     files from the bin directory were missing:
>
>     digest-doc.exe
>     sorted-doc.exe
>
>     These are present in the build from 1-17-2011.
>
>     Any idea why these are missing?
>
> Nope.

I can only say that "make install" does install these two programs in
the `bin' directory.  So it's probably some problem with preparing the
zip files.

* Re: emacs-20110131 windows binaries
@ 2011-02-02  5:04       ` Christoph
From: Christoph @ 2011-02-02  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Sean Sieger, emacs-devel

On 2/1/2011 9:04 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I can only say that "make install" does install these two programs in
> the `bin' directory.  So it's probably some problem with preparing the
> zip files.

I just tried a make dist and the zip file does not contain those two
files. I will look at this tomorrow.

It's strange that the last weekly build contained them, though.

Sean, are you using make dist to create the snapshots?

Christoph

* Re: emacs-20110131 windows binaries
@ 2011-02-02  9:53   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2011-02-02  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph; +Cc: Sean Sieger, emacs-devel

Christoph <cschol2112@googlemail.com> writes:

> Any idea why these are missing?

They no longer exist.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: emacs-20110131 windows binaries
@ 2011-02-02 12:01     ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2011-02-02 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:53 AM, Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

> They no longer exist.

Due to changes in Rmail?

* Re: emacs-20110131 windows binaries
@ 2011-02-02 12:33         ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2011-02-02 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Christoph <cschol2112@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 2/1/2011 9:04 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>> I can only say that "make install" does install these two programs in
>> the `bin' directory.  So it's probably some problem with preparing the
>> zip files.

Not when I did `make install' just now.

> I just tried a make dist and the zip file does not contain those two files.
> I will look at this tomorrow.
>
> It's strange that the last weekly build contained them, though.
>
> Sean, are you using make dist to create the snapshots?

Christoph, thanks for asking.  We had a similar conversation last summer
when `make dist' wasn't present in emacs-23, but instead I used  the older,
`makedist' that I copied from a version before the changes that became
make dist.  (I hope I am making sense here.)

I have continued to use makedist for emacs-23, but use make dist for the
weekly builds.

Another lacuna is the README.W32 in the pretest.  Um, I haven't had a
chance to check for it ... hold on ... yep:

1) the `makedist' command that I use to build the pretest distribution is
    looking for `README.W32'  which isn't there anymore but instead is
    in /nt as `README'.

2) regarding `make dist' in the pretest:

     c:\Users\Sean\Downloads\emacs-23.2.93\nt>make dist
     make: *** No rule to make target `dist'.  Stop.

3) the question I should have asked eight months ago, can your fine
    changes be merged into emacs-23? (Ya know what I'm saying?  I
    enjoy using make dist, thank you.)

I hope my observations make sense and help.

* Re: emacs-20110131 windows binaries
@ 2011-02-02 13:42           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-02-02 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: cschol2112, emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 07:33:35 -0500
> From: Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Christoph <cschol2112@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/1/2011 9:04 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >
> >> I can only say that "make install" does install these two programs in
> >> the `bin' directory.  So it's probably some problem with preparing the
> >> zip files.
>
> Not when I did `make install' just now.

You mean, you type "make install" in the nt/ subdirectory, and these
two programs don't get copied into the bin/ subdirectory of
INSTALL_DIR?

* Re: emacs-20110131 windows binaries
@ 2011-02-02 13:47             ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2011-02-02 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> Not when I did `make install' just now.
>
> You mean, you type "make install" in the nt/ subdirectory, and these
> two programs don't get copied into the bin/ subdirectory of
> INSTALL_DIR?

Shoot.  Sorry, Eli.  I type make install, and digest-doc and sorted-doc
_do_ get copied there.

I think that I got confused going back and forth between emacs-24 and
-23.

* Re: emacs-20110131 windows binaries
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-02-02 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 08:47:42 -0500
> From: Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> >> Not when I did `make install' just now.
> >
> > You mean, you type "make install" in the nt/ subdirectory, and these
> > two programs don't get copied into the bin/ subdirectory of
> > INSTALL_DIR?
>
> Shoot.  Sorry, Eli.  I type make install, and digest-doc and sorted-doc
> _do_ get copied there.
>
> I think that I got confused going back and forth between emacs-24 and
> -23.

Probably.  These programs were deleted from the trunk, so they are
indeed not installed there.