* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 5
       [not found] <E19BiZh-00012A-00@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-05-03  8:15 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-05-03  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Glenn Morris

Glenn, I have a few comments regarding the last changes in the FAQ.

> + Sometimes users are unsure as to where their @file{.emacs} file should
> + be found.  Visiting the file as @file{~/.emacs} from Emacs will find
> + the correct file.

I think every useful piece of information in the FAQ should be
indexed.  A FAQ, even more than a manual, is a large collection of
small pieces of information, so it is practically impossible to
quickly get to the info one is looking for without that info being
indexed.  The above snippet should certainly have an index entry,
IMHO.

> + The version available from @uref{http://meltin.net/hacks/emacs/} is
> + more recent, and has been tested under Emacs 21.2.

I think "under Emacs" sounds awkward.  "has been tested with Emacs
21.2" is better, in my opinion.

> ! The Emacs Lisp List (ELL),
> ! @uref{http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html}, maintained by

I think it's better to use @uref with 2 arguments here, like this:

   @uref{http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html, The Emacs
   Lisp List (ELL)}, maintained by

The results will look better in HTML, for example.

Same here: make "@file{ell} package" be part of @uref.

> ! Many authors post their packages to the newsgroup
> ! @uref{news:gnu.emacs.sources}.

And here.  I'd rewrite this as

   Many authors post their packages to the @uref{news:gnu.emacs.sources,
   Emacs sources news group}.

There are more such instances in the changes; I think almost all of
them should be revised as above.

> ! For a long time, the Emacs Lisp Archive provided a central repository
> ! for Emacs packages.  Sadly, it has not been active for some time,
> ! although you can still access the old files at

This should probably have an index entry, about the archive being
unmaintained.

> ! * AUC-TeX::
>   * BBDB::
>   * Ispell::
>   * w3-mode::
> --- 3874,3880 ----
>   * Supercite::
>   * Calc::
>   * VIPER::
> ! * AUCTeX::

Isn't "AUC-TeX" the official spelling of the package, as Per wants it?

Last, but not least, thanks for working on these changes!

* Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 5
@ 2003-05-03 12:26   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-05-03 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote (on Sat, 3 May 2003 at 11:15 +0300):

[some better ways to use texinfo commands and other sensible suggestions]

All your suggestions seem very good to me, I will change things along
those lines. Thanks for the feedback.

> Isn't "AUC-TeX" the official spelling of the package, as Per wants it?

It was decided (in January, on the AUCTeX mailing list) to change the
spelling to AUCTeX.

* extended @uref command? (was: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 5)
@ 2003-05-03 17:57   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-05-03 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-texinfo

On Sat, May 03 2003, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I think it's better to use @uref with 2 arguments here, like this:
>
>    @uref{http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html, The Emacs
>    Lisp List (ELL)}, maintained by
>
> The results will look better in HTML, for example.

ACK.  But in the printed version (produced with texi2dvi) looks like
this:

| The Emacs Lisp List (ELL)
| (http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html)

Especially with long URLs, this isn't very readable and often leeds to
`underfull \hbox'es.

Therefore, I use a macro @rsuref, producing a footnote in non-html
output:

@macro rsuref{url,text}
@ifhtml
@uref{\url\,\text\}@c
@end ifhtml
@ifnothtml
\text\@footnote{@uref{\url\} (\text\)}@c
@end ifnothtml
@end macro

Would it make sense to add a similar command (say @furef{url,text}) in
texinfo (or extend @uref{})?

Cc: & Mail-Followup-To: help-texinfo@gnu.org

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: extended @uref command? (was: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 5)
@ 2003-05-03 18:55     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-05-03 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de>
> Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 19:57:24 +0200
>
> ACK.  But in the printed version (produced with texi2dvi) looks like
> this:
>
> | The Emacs Lisp List (ELL)
> | (http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html)
>
> Especially with long URLs, this isn't very readable and often leeds to
> `underfull \hbox'es.

It is a long-standing issue with Texinfo to teach it to hyphenate
URLs.  I hope some day this will be solved.

> Therefore, I use a macro @rsuref, producing a footnote in non-html
> output:

This was suggested in the past, perhaps even by you.  Personally, I
don't like this solution, but that's me.

* Re: extended @uref command? (was: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 5)
@ 2003-05-04  0:23 Karl Berry
From: Karl Berry @ 2003-05-04  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    and often leeds to `underfull \hbox'es.

True enough.  As Eli says, I hope to make url's breakable in TeX at some
point.  Unfortunately the url.sty and hyperref packages aren't usable as
is, because Texinfo has to parse the arguments differently.

    \text\@footnote{@uref{\url\} (\text\)}@c

I appreciate that this can help with the line breaking.  But in my
opinion, having lots of footnotes with url's is distracting to the
reader (having just reviewed several papers written in that style), so I
don't especially want to add this to the base Texinfo.

Thanks,
karl