* Feature Request:org-mks should use transient
@ 2022-12-20 17:56 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-12-20 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Now that both org and transient are bundled in Emacs, it would be nice
if org used transient for its various selection menus, rather than
rolling its own via function org-mks --- it just introduces another UI
inconsistency we dont need in Emacs?

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: Feature Request:org-mks should use transient
@ 2022-12-20 23:17 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-12-20 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Now that both org and transient are bundled in Emacs, it would be nice
> if org used transient for its various selection menus, rather than
> rolling its own via function org-mks --- it just introduces another UI
> inconsistency we dont need in Emacs?

This has already been discussed on the org mailing list. The conclusion
was that org should move in this direction. It just needs people to
actually do the necessary work.

One thing which may be holding this up is that org has a policy to
backward support at least the previous 2 major versions of Emacs
i.e. right now with Emacs 28.2, or also supports 27.x and 26.x. I
suspect once transient is in all supported versions, the change to
transient will be implemented.

* Re: Feature Request:org-mks should use transient
@ 2022-12-21  4:22   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-12-21  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: T.V Raman, emacs-devel

> One thing which may be holding this up is that org has a policy to
> backward support at least the previous 2 major versions of Emacs
> i.e. right now with Emacs 28.2, or also supports 27.x and 26.x. I
> suspect once transient is in all supported versions, the change to
> transient will be implemented.

Transient is in GNU ELPA and claims to be compatible with Emacs≥25, so
that's probably not a big blocker,

* Re: Feature Request:org-mks should use transient
@ 2022-12-21  4:35     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-12-21  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: T.V Raman, emacs-devel

>> One thing which may be holding this up is that org has a policy to
>> backward support at least the previous 2 major versions of Emacs
>> i.e. right now with Emacs 28.2, or also supports 27.x and 26.x. I
>> suspect once transient is in all supported versions, the change to
>> transient will be implemented.
>
> Transient is in GNU ELPA and claims to be compatible with Emacs≥25, so
> that's probably not a big blocker,

Good to know. So the only blocker is really just someone to do the work
or wait until this task bubbles up to the top for existing maintainers.

* Re: Feature Request:org-mks should use transient
@ 2022-12-21  4:42     ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2022-12-21  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: theophilusx, raman, emacs-devel

Agreed.

Org is awesome, but as others have pointed out in the past, it's
turned into a platform atop a platform atop a ... and is getting
extremely complex both from an end-user view-point, as well as
supporting it from packages like emacspeak --- Stefan Monnier writes:
 > > One thing which may be holding this up is that org has a policy to
 > > backward support at least the previous 2 major versions of Emacs
 > > i.e. right now with Emacs 28.2, or also supports 27.x and 26.x. I
 > > suspect once transient is in all supported versions, the change to
 > > transient will be implemented.
 >
 > Transient is in GNU ELPA and claims to be compatible with Emacs≥25, so
 > that's probably not a big blocker,
 >

 >         Stefan

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮