* package-quickstart: How To Debug?
@ 2020-12-20 18:10 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-12-20 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've been using  emacs with early-init.el containing (setq
package-quickstart t)
for a while now. All was well until last night when:

1. After updating packages as usual, all seemed well, but the next
   emacs restart failed  with a strange error.

   2. It errors out loading package-quickstart  with some error about
      marshall and eieio.

      3. If I remove the package-quickstart.el[c] files, and restart
         emacs, then emacs starts fine, since there is no
         package-quickstart to load I guess. However once that file is
         regenerated, the next restart of Emacs fails.

         Interestingly, loading the quickstart file after emacs has
         started successfully doesn't error out, i.e.

         A. remove package-quickstart.el[c]
            B. Restart emacs (with package-quickstart set to t)
               C. Either force the package-quickstart to be generated
                  by calling package-quickstart-refresh, or waiting a
                  while
                  D. In the still running emacs (load-file
                     package-quickstart.el) succeeds -- no errrors

                     E. Now, kill emacs and restart --- emacs startup
                        fails.

--Raman
♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

--Raman
♉ Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮

* Re: package-quickstart: How To Debug?
@ 2020-12-20 18:21 ` Basil L. Contovounesios
From: Basil L. Contovounesios @ 2020-12-20 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sounds like there may be a complication with byte-compiling
package-quickstart-file?  See the following emacs-devel thread and
commit.

https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2020-12/msg01080.html

* lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el: Byte compile the quickstart file
eeade2b647 2020-12-18 10:02:15 -0500
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=eeade2b64767bfce9118eae36c25363a7fb6ea76

--
Basil

* Re: package-quickstart: How To Debug?
@ 2020-12-20 18:55   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-12-20 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basil L. Contovounesios; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 819 bytes --]

"Basil L. Contovounesios" <contovob@tcd.ie> writes:

Thanks for the pointer.

For now the problem went away after I uninstalled package marshall,
which was being used by gh which in turn was being used by gist. I blew
those three away for now --- haven't used gist in a while --- but yes,
byte-compiling that file may be the problem.> Sounds like there may be a complication with byte-compiling
> package-quickstart-file?  See the following emacs-devel thread and
> commit.
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2020-12/msg01080.html
>
> * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el: Byte compile the quickstart file
> eeade2b647 2020-12-18 10:02:15 -0500
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=eeade2b64767bfce9118eae36c25363a7fb6ea76

--Raman
7©4 Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  •0Ü8

* Re: package-quickstart: How To Debug?
@ 2020-12-20 21:31     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-12-20 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: Basil L. Contovounesios, emacs-devel

> For now the problem went away after I uninstalled package marshall,
> which was being used by gh which in turn was being used by gist. I blew
> those three away for now --- haven't used gist in a while --- but yes,
> byte-compiling that file may be the problem.

Without more details it's hard to do anything about it.
A reproducible recipe, or at a least a backtrace would be welcome.
In any case I recommend you open a bug report for it.

* RE: package-quickstart: How To Debug?
@ 2020-12-20 21:47     ` arthur miller
From: arthur miller @ 2020-12-20 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman, Basil L. Contovounesios; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="GB18030", Size: 1218 bytes --]

What is package marshal and gb? I did a quick web search, for package marshal but I didn't found which packages that was. Is it in Elpa or elsewhere?

0‡2mne: Re: package-quickstart: How To Debug?

@ 2020-12-21  1:43       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-12-21  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arthur miller; +Cc: Basil L. Contovounesios, emacs-devel@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 1491 bytes --]

arthur miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

From the packages buffer:

marshal          h 20180124.1239 available  melpa   10  eieio extension
for automatic (un)marshalling
> What is package marshal and gb? I did a quick web search, for package

gb was a typo  meant gh.

@ 2020-12-21  2:23         ` arthur miller
From: arthur miller @ 2020-12-21  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: Basil L. Contovounesios, emacs-devel@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="GB18030", Size: 1819 bytes --]

Thx; vill try them and see how they work for me.

0‡2mne: Re: package-quickstart: How To Debug?

From the packages buffer:

@ 2020-12-21 16:53         ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2020-12-21 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: Basil L. Contovounesios, emacs-devel@gnu.org

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> arthur miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>

> From the packages buffer:
>
> marshal          h 20180124.1239 available  melpa   10  eieio extension
> for automatic (un)marshalling
>> What is package marshal and gb? I did a quick web search, for package
>
> gb was a typo  meant gh.

Hi, Raman!

I have installed all three packages, marshal, gh and gist, generated
quickstart file and byte compiled it and Emacs starts for me just as same.

When compiling marshal I have got some obsoloete/deprecated warning, but
Emacs starts just fine.

Interesting with gh; it uses old 'cl and uses lots of cl-* functions, so
when I start Emacs with gh in a version of Emacs I compiled from a
master I downloaded today, it just starts no questions asked. But in my
"normal" Emacs version, which is a native compiler branch about a week
or two old, I get some deprecated warnigns even with start. But aside
from that Emacs starts fine.

I see no crashes with byte compiled file at all. I don't know for Emacs
27 though; I don't have it installed.

Hope it helps.

Best regards
/arthur

* Re: package-quickstart: How To Debug?
@ 2020-12-21 17:12           ` T.V Raman via Emacs development discussions.
From: T.V Raman via Emacs development discussions. @ 2020-12-21 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arthur.miller; +Cc: contovob, emacs-devel, raman

Interesting. From what I remember, package-quickstart was bombing out
because of calls to eieio -- likely due to some macro expansion
error. I've worked around it for now by uninstalling marhsall and what
needed it --- given that Emacs is my primary/only environment for
geting spoken feedback without which I cannot work productively, I'm
not going to go chase this further --- Emacs not starting makes
things very hard :-)

Arthur

--
♉Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮♉

--

@ 2020-12-21 17:18             ` Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2020-12-21 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: contovob, emacs-devel

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> Interesting. From what I remember, package-quickstart was bombing out
> because of calls to eieio -- likely due to some macro expansion
> error. I've worked around it for now by uninstalling marhsall and what
> needed it --- given that Emacs is my primary/only environment for
> geting spoken feedback without which I cannot work productively, I'm
> not going to go chase this further --- Emacs not starting makes
> things very hard :-)
Yes, I understand you. It is pain when Emacs does not start at all, I
hate it myself.

If Emacs does not start because of quickstart, you can always run it
with -Q or -q flags, so quickstart wont come into play.

But as said; I installed those and byte-compiled quickstart file and it
worked. So it can be something else in your setup. Or maybe just older
Emacs bombs out? Have you tried to build newer from the master?

* Re: package-quickstart: How To Debug?
@ 2020-12-21 17:30               ` T.V Raman via Emacs development discussions.
From: T.V Raman via Emacs development discussions. @ 2020-12-21 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arthur.miller; +Cc: contovob, emacs-devel, raman

The failure likely started after I built from master:-) I usually

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-12-21 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman via Emacs development discussions.
  Cc: contovob, arthur.miller, T.V Raman

> geting spoken feedback without which I cannot work productively, I'm
> not going to go chase this further --- Emacs not starting makes
> things very hard :-)

In those cases it can be helpful to start Emacs within Emacs
(e.g. within a term.el terminal).  I find it unusable in general, but
I've resorted to it on some occasions.

* Re: package-quickstart: How To Debug?
@ 2020-12-21 18:12               ` T.V Raman via Emacs development discussions.
From: T.V Raman via Emacs development discussions. @ 2020-12-21 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: contovob, raman, arthur.miller, emacs-devel

Yes, I've done this in the past too and  this is how I was able to say
that the error was being thrown by the marshall package and related to
eieio.

Unfortunately I've now fixed my world where the crash doesn't repro
which is why I cant send a backtrace.

--
♉Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮♉

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-12-21 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Miller; +Cc: contovob, emacs-devel, T.V Raman

> But as said; I installed those and byte-compiled quickstart file and it
> worked.  So it can be something else in your setup.  Or maybe just older
> Emacs bombs out? Have you tried to build newer from the master?

It could also be an interaction between several packages, or god knows
what else.

T.V. if you can try and reproduce the problem on your side (e.g. by
re-installing those `marshall` and `gh` libraries) then maybe we could
use your generated `package-quickstart.el` file to reproduce the problem
on our side.

* Re: package-quickstart: How To Debug?
@ 2020-12-21 18:31                 ` T.V Raman via Emacs development discussions.
From: T.V Raman via Emacs development discussions. @ 2020-12-21 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: contovob, emacs-devel, arthur.miller, raman

--
♉Id: kg:/m/0285kf1  🦮♉

--

@ 2020-12-21 18:43                 ` T.V Raman via Emacs development discussions.
From: T.V Raman via Emacs development discussions. @ 2020-12-21 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: contovob, emacs-devel, arthur.miller, raman

[-- Attachment #1: message body text --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 207 bytes --]

OK, I'm attaching a tarball below containing:

1. working package-quickstart.el* (with no marshall package installed)
   2. tmp/package-quickstart.el* --- broken emacs with marshall
      installed.

[-- Attachment #2: package quickstart tarball --]

[-- Attachment #3: message body text --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 681 bytes --]

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-12-21 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: contovob, arthur.miller, emacs-devel

> OK, I'm attaching a tarball below containing:
>
> 1. working package-quickstart.el* (with no marshall package installed)
>    2. tmp/package-quickstart.el* --- broken emacs with marshall
>       installed.

Thanks, it does signal an error for me indeed:

    Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Given parent class marshal-base is not a class")
      signal(error ("Given parent class marshal-base is not a class"))
      error("Given parent class %S is not a class" marshal-base)
      eieio-defclass-internal(gh-object (marshal-base) nil (:marshal-default-spec gh-marshal-default-spec))
      byte-code("\306\30\307\301\310\311\306!\206\15\0\11@!\"\210\312\313!\203\33\0\313\314\315\"\210)\316\30\307\301\310\311\316!\206)\0\11@!\"\210\313\317\320\"\210)..." [load-file-name load-path anaphora-use-long-names-only git-rebase-filename-regexp after-init-time global-auto-revert-mode "/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/zoutline-20190520.1819/z..." add-to-list directory-file-name file-name-directory fboundp register-definition-prefixes "zoutline" ("zo-") "/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/zmq-20200912.1126/zmq-au..." "zmq" ("zmq-") "/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/yasnippet-20200604.246/y..." autoload yas-minor-mode "yasnippet" "Toggle YASnippet mode.\n\nIf called interactively, e..." t nil put yas-global-mode globalized-minor-mode (lambda (def-tmp-var) (defvar yas-global-mode def-tmp-var "Non-nil if Yas-Global mode is enabled.\nSee the `ya...")) custom-autoload "Toggle Yas minor mode in all buffers.\nWith prefix ..." snippet-mode "A mode for editing yasnippets" ("help-snippet-def" "snippet-mode-map" "yas") "/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/yasnippet-snippets-20201..." yasnippet-snippets-initialize "yasnippet-snippets" "Load the `yasnippet-snippets' snippets directory." eval-after-load yasnippet #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x7758bc1>) ("yasnippet-snippets-") "/home/raman/.emacs.d/elpa/xr-1.20/xr-autoloads.el" xr "xr" "Convert a regexp string to rx notation; the invers..." xr-skip-set "Convert a skip set string argument to rx notation...." xr-lint "Detect dubious practices and possible mistakes in ..." xr-skip-set-lint ...] 11)
      load("~/.emacs.d/package-quickstart.elc" nil nomessage)
      package-activate-all()
      command-line()
      normal-top-level()

I haven't figured out yet the source of the problem,

* Re: package-quickstart: How To Debug?
@ 2020-12-21 19:18                     ` T.V Raman via Emacs development discussions.
From: T.V Raman via Emacs development discussions. @ 2020-12-21 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: contovob, emacs-devel, arthur.miller, raman