* advice.el and bytecomp: Did something change recently?
@ 2020-04-17 16:50 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-04-17 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Context:

1. This is with emacs compiled from git @HEAD.
2. Emacspeak uses advice heavily (advice.el, not nadvice).
3. Until recently, advising functions that were loaded later still
worked,
4. EG:  Module emacspeak-advice.el advices vc-next-action and gets
loaded  before  vc.el.
5. Later, when vc.el gets loaded as a result of calling
vc-next-action, the advice would take effect automatically.

Now:

Since the last few days, (noticed it first yesterday  I think) the
above is no longer true.
I need to explicitly load vc.el and then emacspeak-advice.el  for the
advice on vc-next-action to take effect.

* Re: advice.el and bytecomp: Did something change recently?
@ 2020-04-17 17:12 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-04-17 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Since the last few days, (noticed it first yesterday  I think) the
> above is no longer true.
> I need to explicitly load vc.el and then emacspeak-advice.el  for the
> advice on vc-next-action to take effect.

That would be a bug (both for `defadvice` and for `advice-add`, and
currently this is handled by nadvice.el in both cases).

* Re: advice.el and bytecomp: Did something change recently?
@ 2020-04-17 17:22   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-04-17 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

Thanks for the quick response  Stefan!

Is there any additional information that I can provide --- warning:
The emacspeak usage is likely a more complex case than what may be
needed to debug this.

--
Id: kg:/m/0285kf1

--
Id: kg:/m/0285kf1

* Re: advice.el and bytecomp: Did something change recently?
@ 2020-04-17 19:32     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-04-17 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Is there any additional information that I can provide

A reproduceable test case?
When I try

    M-: (defadvice sm-foo (before test activate) (message "before-advice")) RET
    M-: (defun sm-foo () (message "body")) RET
    M-: (sm-foo) RET

the advice works just fine.

* Re: advice.el and bytecomp: Did something change recently?
@ 2020-04-17 19:45       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-04-17 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

this is what I meant by "it's hard to debug with the complexity of
Emacspeak".

I've failed to produce a minimal repro case --- what I do observe:

1. Some advice  defs are not taking effect i.e. I dont get the
expected auditory feedback.

2. Evaluating the advice definition makes it work, even though the
file containing the advice was already loaded when it was failing.

--
Id: kg:/m/0285kf1

--
Id: kg:/m/0285kf1

* Re: advice.el and bytecomp: Did something change recently?
@ 2020-04-17 19:46       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-04-17 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

p.s. perhaps byte compilation has something to do with it --- all of
emacspeak's modules are bytecompiled.

--
Id: kg:/m/0285kf1

--
Id: kg:/m/0285kf1

* Re: advice.el and bytecomp: Did something change recently?
@ 2020-04-18  2:03       ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-04-18  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Stefan,

After recompiling *everything* within reach: i.e.

1. make dist clean in emacs
2. git pull -a
3 Complete clean build
4. Then compiled all the emacspeak files using the freshly built emacs

The problem went away.

I still have no idea what the issue was,