* XIM vs. UTF-8
@ 2005-04-09 17:15 Shixin Zeng
From: Shixin Zeng @ 2005-04-09 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On my system, when locale is set to zh_CN.UTF8, XIM input
methods(SCIM/fcitx) can't be launched.
If I set the locale to zh_CN.GBK, both emacs and XIM input methods work
fine.
for other apps, XIM input methods work ok, when LC_CTYPE is set to both
"zh_CN.UTF-8" and "zh_CN.GBK"
This problem occurred for emacs21, emacs22 cvs20050402,
emacs23(emacs-unicode-2 20050402)

My system:
Ubuntu hoary
Xorg 6.8.2

--
Best regards
Shixin Zeng

Class A0401093
Minhang Campus of Shanghai Jiaotong University
China

* Re: XIM vs. UTF-8
@ 2005-04-11  2:25 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2005-04-11  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <42580D96.4090809@sjtu.edu.cn>, Shixin Zeng <shixinzeng@sjtu.edu.cn> writes:

> On my system, when locale is set to zh_CN.UTF8, XIM input
> methods(SCIM/fcitx) can't be launched.
> If I set the locale to zh_CN.GBK, both emacs and XIM input methods work
> fine.
> for other apps, XIM input methods work ok, when LC_CTYPE is set to both
> "zh_CN.UTF-8" and "zh_CN.GBK"
> This problem occurred for emacs21, emacs22 cvs20050402,
> emacs23(emacs-unicode-2 20050402)

Sorry for the late response on this matter, but I can't
reproduce it, i.e. I can use input methods via SCIM in both
locales zh_CN.UTF8 and zh_CN.GBK in both emacs22 and emacs23
(both CVS latest).

What I tried is this:

% scim -d
% LANG=zh_CN.GBK XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM emacs
% LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM emacs

BTW, as I don't have fcitx, I didn't test it.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: XIM vs. UTF-8
@ 2005-04-11  5:10   ` Shixin Zeng
From: Shixin Zeng @ 2005-04-11  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa wrote:

>Sorry for the late response on this matter, but I can't
>reproduce it, i.e. I can use input methods via SCIM in both
>locales zh_CN.UTF8 and zh_CN.GBK in both emacs22 and emacs23
>(both CVS latest).
>
>What I tried is this:
>
>% scim -d
>% LANG=zh_CN.GBK XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM emacs
>% LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM emacs
>
>BTW, as I don't have fcitx, I didn't test it.
>
>---
>Ken'ichi HANDA
>handa@m17n.org

Thanks for the reply.
Are you running XFree86 or Xorg?
I've heard of that several guys encountered this problem after upgrade
from ubuntu warty to ubuntu hoary. The big change between them is
XFree86 4.3 to Xorg 6.8.2. So whether this problem is related to Xorg?

* Re: XIM vs. UTF-8
@ 2005-04-11  5:46     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2005-04-11  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <425A06CC.30102@sjtu.edu.cn>, Shixin Zeng <shixinzeng@sjtu.edu.cn> writes:

> Kenichi Handa wrote:
>> Sorry for the late response on this matter, but I can't
>> reproduce it, i.e. I can use input methods via SCIM in both
>> locales zh_CN.UTF8 and zh_CN.GBK in both emacs22 and emacs23
>> (both CVS latest).
>>
>> What I tried is this:
>>
>> % scim -d
>> % LANG=zh_CN.GBK XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM emacs
>> % LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM emacs
[...]
> Thanks for the reply.
> Are you running XFree86 or Xorg?
> I've heard of that several guys encountered this problem after upgrade
> from ubuntu warty to ubuntu hoary. The big change between them is
> XFree86 4.3 to Xorg 6.8.2. So whether this problem is related to Xorg?

I tried with these two systems successfully:

server & library: XFree86 4.3.0
server & library: X.Org 6.7.0
server: OpenWindows 11.0(Solaris 2.6), library: XFree86 4.3.0

So, no, I didn't try X.org 6.8.2 which I don't have.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org