* utf-16-be editing
@ 2004-01-24 17:24 Ganesh Babu N.
From: Ganesh Babu N. @ 2004-01-24 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ganeshbabu.nallamothu

Hai All,

I am having an xml file in utf-16-be format. I want to parse the file in
emacs. I am familar in using emacs.  But I am not familiar in
configurations. I will use Xerces parser to do this job.

But I can not edit the file in the emacs editor. Can anybody help me in
configuring the emacs to edit utf-16-be format files.

I am using emacs 21.3 for windows 2000.

Thanks and Regards,
N. Ganesh Babu,
Asst. Manager (Technology)
Integra Software Services Pvt. Ltd.
51, Second Cross
Jawahar Nagar
Nellithope (Post)
Pondicherry - 605 005
INDIA.
091-0413-2201710/2201722
Mobile: 9443460220
Email:ganesh_babu_n@hotmail.com
Web: www.integra-india.com

Marriage? Join BharatMatrimony.com for free.
http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/cgi-bin/bmclicks1.cgi?74

* Re: utf-16-be editing
@ 2004-01-24 20:51 ` Gaute B Strokkenes
From: Gaute B Strokkenes @ 2004-01-24 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ganeshbabu.nallamothu, emacs-devel

On 24 jan 2004, ganesh_babu_n@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hai All,
>
> I am having an xml file in utf-16-be format. I want to parse the
> file in emacs. I am familar in using emacs.  But I am not familiar
> in configurations. I will use Xerces parser to do this job.
>
> But I can not edit the file in the emacs editor. Can anybody help me
> in configuring the emacs to edit utf-16-be format files.
>
> I am using emacs 21.3 for windows 2000.

C-x RET c utf-16be C-x C-f filename

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
The SAME WAVE keeps coming in and COLLAPSING like a rayon MUU-MUU..

* RE: utf-16-be editing
@ 2004-02-04  5:08   ` Ganesh Babu Nallamothu, Integra-India
From: Ganesh Babu Nallamothu, Integra-India @ 2004-02-04  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hai Strokkenes,

Thanks for providing the information. With this I can able to view the file
but I can not edit. I require editing of these files. When I tried to edit,
the following error has come "Symbol's function definition is void:
utf-16-be-pre-write-conversion". Can you please help me how to overcome
this.

Thanks and Regards,
Ganesh

> I am having an xml file in utf-16-be format. I want to parse the
> file in emacs. I am familar in using emacs.  But I am not familiar
> in configurations. I will use Xerces parser to do this job.
>
> But I can not edit the file in the emacs editor. Can anybody help me
> in configuring the emacs to edit utf-16-be format files.
>
> I am using emacs 21.3 for windows 2000.

C-x RET c utf-16be C-x C-f filename

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
The SAME WAVE keeps coming in and COLLAPSING like a rayon MUU-MUU..

[-- Attachment #2: winmail.dat --]
[-- Type: application/ms-tnef, Size: 2240 bytes --]

* Re: utf-16-be editing
@ 2004-02-05  1:43     ` Gaute B Strokkenes
From: Gaute B Strokkenes @ 2004-02-05  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 4 feb 2004, ganeshbabu.nallamothu@integra-india.com wrote:

>>> Hai All,
>>>
>>> I am having an xml file in utf-16-be format. I want to parse the
>>> file in emacs. I am familar in using emacs.  But I am not familiar
>>> in configurations. I will use Xerces parser to do this job.
>>>
>>> But I can not edit the file in the emacs editor. Can anybody help
>>> me in configuring the emacs to edit utf-16-be format files.
>>>
>>> I am using emacs 21.3 for windows 2000.
>>
>> C-x RET c utf-16be C-x C-f filename
>
> Thanks for providing the information. With this I can able to view
> the file but I can not edit. I require editing of these files. When
> I tried to edit, the following error has come "Symbol's function
> definition is void: utf-16-be-pre-write-conversion". Can you please
> help me how to overcome this.

I'm afraid I've no idea why you get that error; it's supposed to just
work.  Hopefully someone else can help.  What does it say when you do

  M-x emacs-version

?

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
There's enough money here to buy 5000 cans of Noodle-Roni!

* Re: utf-16-be editing
@ 2004-02-05  2:11     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2004-02-05  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: biggaute, emacs-devel

In article <BMEPIDHCILAHIDGHPJHLMEPGCEAA.ganeshbabu.nallamothu@integra-india.com>, "Ganesh Babu Nallamothu,\ Integra-India" <ganeshbabu.nallamothu@integra-india.com> writes:
> Thanks for providing the information. With this I can able to view the file
> but I can not edit. I require editing of these files. When I tried to edit,
> the following error has come "Symbol's function definition is void:
> utf-16-be-pre-write-conversion". Can you please help me how to overcome
> this.

It's a bug of 21.3 and is fixed in the next version.

For a workaround, please put these lines in your .emacs.

(coding-system-put 'mule-utf-16-le 'pre-write-conversion nil)
(coding-system-put 'mule-utf-16-be 'pre-write-conversion nil)

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* RE: utf-16-be editing
@ 2004-02-05  4:01       ` Ganesh Babu Nallamothu, Integra-India
From: Ganesh Babu Nallamothu, Integra-India @ 2004-02-05  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Dear Strokkenes,

The output of M-x emacs-version command is as follows:

GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195) of 2003-03-28 on buffy.

Regards,
Ganesh