* Re: make-frame-on-display returns BadAtom error
       [not found] <AF8759226560A249B2A0E9D103E81D997A2B58@ukcbgx01psge.geips.ge.com>
@ 2002-08-02  6:12 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-08-02  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

If you build Emacs on Solaris 8, does it work ok on Solaris 8?

* RE: make-frame-on-display returns BadAtom error
@ 2002-08-07 12:39 andrew.maguire
From: andrew.maguire @ 2002-08-07 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms

I have just tried building emacs on Solaris 8 (we are using gcc 2.7.2.3)
but I get the same problem. Note that if I try make-frame-on-display
on a UNIX type machine I get a BadWindow error (code 3).
I get a BadAtom error (code 18) when I try to connect to Exceed 6.1 on a
Windows NT machine.

I have just tried out Solaris 9 and I have the smae problems as with Solaris
8.

> If you build Emacs on Solaris 8, does it work ok on Solaris 8?

Thanks,

Andrew

* RE: make-frame-on-display returns BadAtom error
@ 2002-08-08  5:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-08-08  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 andrew.maguire@ps.ge.com wrote:

> I have just tried building emacs on Solaris 8 (we are using gcc 2.7.2.3)
> but I get the same problem. Note that if I try make-frame-on-display
> on a UNIX type machine I get a BadWindow error (code 3).
> I get a BadAtom error (code 18) when I try to connect to Exceed 6.1 on a
> Windows NT machine.

Do I understand correctly that the problem happens even without Exceed
being used, i.e. if you run the X version of Emacs on a Unix box?

If so, please tell what toolkit did you build Emacs with.  Also, does the
technique outlined in etc/DEBUG (search for "If you encounter X protocol
errors") help to investigate this probelem?

* Re: make-frame-on-display returns BadAtom error
@ 2002-08-08  7:00 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-08-08  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I have just tried building emacs on Solaris 8 (we are using gcc 2.7.2.3)
    but I get the same problem. Note that if I try make-frame-on-display
    on a UNIX type machine I get a BadWindow error (code 3).
    I get a BadAtom error (code 18) when I try to connect to Exceed 6.1 on a
    Windows NT machine.

It sounds like you are now saying that no Emacs executable you can
construct works properly on Solaris 8, and the same for Solaris 9.

Is this correct?

If that is the case, I don't know how we can debug it.  Only a Solaris
and X wizard can debug it.

* RE: make-frame-on-display returns BadAtom error
@ 2002-08-08 10:59 andrew.maguire
From: andrew.maguire @ 2002-08-08 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks I will try this out.