* [storm@cua.dk: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer]
@ 2002-06-22 22:51 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-22 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Would you please help us with this?  You know this code more
than anyone.

To: rms@gnu.org
Cc: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu>, jasonr@gnu.org,
   bob@rattlesnake.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer
From: storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm)
Date: 22 Jun 2002 01:56:31 +0200

no-spam@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu> writes:
>
> > > The problem is that there is no named face which has this appearence,
> > > so I cannot simply put a (face mode-line-bold) property on the string
> > > returned by format-mode-line.
> >
> > Any reason why you can't use (face (mode-line bold)) ?
>
> Not anymore :-)

Ok, I have changed format-mode-line to return a propertized string
(changes are not committed yet), but the "face merging" doesn't always
give the same result as the actual mode line:

This combination works (*Help* is bold):

(insert '#("-1:%%  *Help*  ..."
         7 13 (face (mode-line :weight bold))))

but this doesn't (*Help* isn't bold):

(insert '#("-1:%%  *Help*  ..."
         7 13 (face (mode-line-inactive :weight bold))))

I haven't investigated this further, but it could be related to
mode-line-inactive being derived from another face...?

Also, there are some visual artifacts in the following example; there
are small white lines between the bold and non-bold sections:

(insert '#("-1:**  *scratch*        ..."
         1 7 (face mode-line)
         7 19 (face (mode-line (:weight bold)))
         19 22 (face mode-line)))

In any case, I'm going to commit my changes tomorrow (or so)
- -- then we'll have to look into the above issues later...

- --

* Re: [storm@cua.dk: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer]
@ 2002-06-23  9:37 ` Gerd Moellmann
From: Gerd Moellmann @ 2002-06-23  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Would you please help us with this?  You know this code more
> than anyone.
>
> From: storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm)
> Subject: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer
> To: rms@gnu.org
> Cc: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu>, jasonr@gnu.org,
>    bob@rattlesnake.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: 22 Jun 2002 01:56:31 +0200
>
> no-spam@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> > > Any reason why you can't use (face (mode-line bold)) ?
> >
> > Not anymore :-)
>
> Ok, I have changed format-mode-line to return a propertized string
> (changes are not committed yet), but the "face merging" doesn't always
> give the same result as the actual mode line:
>
> This combination works (*Help* is bold):
>
> (insert '#("-1:%%  *Help*  ..."
>          7 13 (face (mode-line :weight bold))))
>
> but this doesn't (*Help* isn't bold):
>
> (insert '#("-1:%%  *Help*  ..."
>          7 13 (face (mode-line-inactive :weight bold))))

The above list form of face property value doesn't look right.  I
think it should be something like (mode-line (:weight bold)) instead.
Each element of the list should be either a named face or a list of
face attributes; see also the Lisp Reference.  The face property value
above looks like it will use the non-existent named face `:weight'.

Since faces from a list-valued face property are merged from left to
right (AFAIR), the faces in the list should also be reversed:
((:weight bold) mode-line).  Otherwise, if mode-line explicitly
specifies a weight, the (:weight bold) will have no effect.

* Re: [storm@cua.dk: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer]
@ 2002-06-24  9:33   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-24  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel