* lwlib-Xol* files and make-dist?
@ 2002-04-20 17:24 Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2002-04-20 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

make-dist contains:

echo "Making links to \`lwlib'"
(cd lwlib
 ln *.c *.h *.in ../${tempdir}/lwlib
 ln README Imakefile ChangeLog ../${tempdir}/lwlib
 cd ../${tempdir}/lwlib
 rm -f lwlib-Xol*)

so files lwlib/lwlib-Xol* never end up in dist file. Is there any reason
to have them in CVS when they are not distributed? This change

1996-01-23  Karl Heuer  <kwzh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>

	* make-dist (lwlib): Don't distribute lwlib-Xol* files.

was done in 1996, so those files are not used by users for about 6 years.
--
Pavel Janík

Perl is a strange, strange language.  At the 32nd try, I got my
modifications to work.
                  -- Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen in gnus.ding

* Re: lwlib-Xol* files and make-dist?
@ 2002-04-22  7:47 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-04-22  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    so files lwlib/lwlib-Xol* never end up in dist file. Is there any reason
    to have them in CVS when they are not distributed?

I see no point in throwing the code away.

* Re: lwlib-Xol* files and make-dist?
@ 2002-04-22 12:30   ` Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2002-04-22 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
   Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 01:47:13 -0600 (MDT)

   >     so files lwlib/lwlib-Xol* never end up in dist file. Is there any reason
   >     to have them in CVS when they are not distributed?
   >
   > I see no point in throwing the code away.

I do not want to throw them away. I you want to `cvs remove' those
files. There are many files in lwlib which are not used at all and it is
quite hard for newcomers to know which file is used.
--
Pavel Janík

                  -- Peter Surda in linux@linux.cz

* Re: lwlib-Xol* files and make-dist?
@ 2002-04-22 16:07   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-04-22 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Pavel, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     so files lwlib/lwlib-Xol* never end up in dist file. Is there any reason
>     to have them in CVS when they are not distributed?
>
> I see no point in throwing the code away.

Doing cvs remove on a file does not throw any code away (it's still in
the repository); it's just not checked out with the head - thus no
longer giving the impression that the code is still used.

* Re: lwlib-Xol* files and make-dist?
@ 2002-04-23 19:30     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-04-23 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I do not want to throw them away. I you want to `cvs remove' those
    files. There are many files in lwlib which are not used at all and it is
    quite hard for newcomers to know which file is used.

Ok.