* Re: Strange things with (shrink-window).
       [not found] <87hdady70s.fsf@mahaena.lrde>
@ 2005-11-16 10:47 ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-11-16 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

      $ emacs -Q (with or without -nw)

      Then C-x 3 C-x 2, then go to the window on the right.

      Now, M-x global-set-key RET F10 RET shrink-window RET

      Then press F10: nothings happen.

      Press F10 and stay on the touch. The window on the upper left will
      start to slowly and randomly shrink.

I agree that is a bug.  If the first invocation of F10 does nothing,
all further invocations should do nothing.  (It is supposed to
vertically shrink the window, and that can't be done, since it has no
vertical peers.)

Can someone please debug this and reply to this message?  I am
overloaded and cannot do it myself.  But fixing bugs like this is
important for the release--there's no point starting a pretest to find
out additional bugs, if we aren't fixing the ones we know about.

* Re: Strange things with (shrink-window).
@ 2005-11-16 20:13   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-11-16 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michael Cadilhac, emacs-devel

Richard M. Stallman writes:
 >       $ emacs -Q (with or without -nw)
 >
 >       Then C-x 3 C-x 2, then go to the window on the right.
 >
 >       Now, M-x global-set-key RET F10 RET shrink-window RET
 >
 >       Then press F10: nothings happen.
 >
 >       Press F10 and stay on the touch. The window on the upper left will
 >       start to slowly and randomly shrink.
 >
 > I agree that is a bug.  If the first invocation of F10 does nothing,
 > all further invocations should do nothing.  (It is supposed to
 > vertically shrink the window, and that can't be done, since it has no
 > vertical peers.)
 >
 > Can someone please debug this and reply to this message?  I am
 > overloaded and cannot do it myself.  But fixing bugs like this is
 > important for the release--there's no point starting a pretest to find
 > out additional bugs, if we aren't fixing the ones we know about.

There is a point: to progress the release.  This is a really obscure bug.
Whenever, or if ever, Emacs is released, it will have bugs.  Its a question of
balancing the inconvenience of those bugs against the benefit of the
availability to, and feedback from, a large number of users.  I realise that
philosophers talk about freedom whereas only supermarkets get excited about
availability, but its a shame.

Nick