emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Add \EUR to `org-html-entities'
@ 2009-12-02  7:38 Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2009-12-02  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

is there anything that speaks against adding

--8<--------------------------snip-------------------------->8---

 ("EUR" . "&euro;")

--8<--------------------------snap-------------------------->8---

to `org-html-entities'? \EUR{} is provided by the Marvosym package and
&euro; a valid (X)HTML representation of the euro sign. Maybe ever
better would be to add

--8<--------------------------snip-------------------------->8---

 ("EURdig" . "&euro;")
 ("EURhv" . "&euro;")
 ("EURcr" . "&euro;")
 ("EURtm" . "&euro;")

--8<--------------------------snap-------------------------->8---

too.

Ulf

* Re: Add \EUR to `org-html-entities'
@ 2009-12-03 14:38 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-03 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 2, 2009, at 8:38 AM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there anything that speaks against adding
>
> --8<--------------------------snip-------------------------->8---
>
> ("EUR" . "&euro;")
>
> --8<--------------------------snap-------------------------->8---
>
> to `org-html-entities'? \EUR{} is provided by the Marvosym package and
> &euro; a valid (X)HTML representation of the euro sign. Maybe ever
> better would be to add

I would like to minimize external dependencies.  Which distributions
carry this package?

> --8<--------------------------snip-------------------------->8---
>
> ("EURdig" . "&euro;")
> ("EURhv" . "&euro;")
> ("EURcr" . "&euro;")
> ("EURtm" . "&euro;")

I do not understand the purpose of these extra symbols, and why
they are all equal in HTML????

- Carsten

* Re: Add \EUR to `org-html-entities'
@ 2009-12-03 15:42   ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2009-12-03 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2009, at 8:38 AM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:
>
>> is there anything that speaks against adding
>>
>> --8<--------------------------snip-------------------------->8---
>>
>> ("EUR" . "&euro;")
>>
>> --8<--------------------------snap-------------------------->8---
>>
>> to `org-html-entities'? \EUR{} is provided by the Marvosym package and
>> &euro; a valid (X)HTML representation of the euro sign. Maybe ever
>> better would be to add
>
> I would like to minimize external dependencies.

well, that's something that speaks against it :)

> Which distributions carry this package?

Marvosym comes with my TeX Live LaTeX distro and used to come with teTeX
AFAIR. I had the impression the package was rather widely used but I
maybe wrong.

>> ("EURdig" . "&euro;")
>> ("EURhv" . "&euro;")
>> ("EURcr" . "&euro;")
>> ("EURtm" . "&euro;")
>
> I do not understand the purpose of these extra symbols, and why
> they are all equal in HTML????

While \EUR becomes the `official' euro symbol, \EURdig is a variant of
that with the same width as digits, \EURhv is a euro symbol that fits to
Helvetica, \EURcr dto. to Courier and \EURtm dto. to Times. This makes a
difference in LaTeX but is all the same in HTML: &euro;.

Anyway, adding those symbols is not strictly necessary since everybody
can use the eurosym package (where \euro{} command comes from). I like
the Marvosym package better but I can also stick to what I currently do:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \newcommand{\euro}{\EUR}

Ulf

* Re: Re: Add \EUR to `org-html-entities'
@ 2009-12-16 23:17     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-16 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode

Hi Ulf,

I have added your symbols.

Nick, are you still thinking about documenting package
dependencies for LaTeX export? This would be one.

- Carsten

On Dec 3, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 2, 2009, at 8:38 AM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:
>>
>>> is there anything that speaks against adding
>>>
>>> --8<--------------------------snip-------------------------->8---
>>>
>>> ("EUR" . "&euro;")
>>>
>>> --8<--------------------------snap-------------------------->8---
>>>
>>> to `org-html-entities'? \EUR{} is provided by the Marvosym package
>>> and
>>> &euro; a valid (X)HTML representation of the euro sign. Maybe ever
>>> better would be to add
>>
>> I would like to minimize external dependencies.
>
> well, that's something that speaks against it :)
>
>> Which distributions carry this package?
>
> Marvosym comes with my TeX Live LaTeX distro and used to come with
> teTeX
> AFAIR. I had the impression the package was rather widely used but I
> maybe wrong.
>
>>> ("EURdig" . "&euro;")
>>> ("EURhv" . "&euro;")
>>> ("EURcr" . "&euro;")
>>> ("EURtm" . "&euro;")
>>
>> I do not understand the purpose of these extra symbols, and why
>> they are all equal in HTML????
>
> While \EUR becomes the `official' euro symbol, \EURdig is a variant of
> that with the same width as digits, \EURhv is a euro symbol that
> fits to
> Helvetica, \EURcr dto. to Courier and \EURtm dto. to Times. This
> makes a
> difference in LaTeX but is all the same in HTML: &euro;.
>
> Anyway, adding those symbols is not strictly necessary since everybody
> can use the eurosym package (where \euro{} command comes from). I like
> the Marvosym package better but I can also stick to what I currently
> do:
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \newcommand{\euro}{\EUR}
>
> Ulf

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Add \EUR to `org-html-entities'
@ 2009-12-16 23:25       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-12-16 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode, Ulf Stegemann

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nick, are you still thinking about documenting package
> dependencies for LaTeX export? This would be one.

Yes - it's on the infinite todo list to be done over the break.
But it is near the beginning, so I just *might* get it done...

Nick

* Re: Re: Add \EUR to `org-html-entities'
@ 2009-12-16 23:38         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-16 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Mode, Ulf Stegemann

On Dec 17, 2009, at 12:25 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Nick, are you still thinking about documenting package
>> dependencies for LaTeX export? This would be one.
>>

> Yes - it's on the infinite todo list to be done over the break.
> But it is near the beginning, so I just *might* get it done...

Near the beginning, I just *love* that.

- Carsten

* Org Entities (was: Add \EUR to `org-html-entities')
@ 2009-12-17  9:04       ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2009-12-17  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have added your symbols.

thanks, works great.

I was wondering if there's a more general problem lurking behind this
(thus the change of subject): the problem of encoding entities in org
for various export formats, namely HTML, LaTeX, plain ASCII text (and
maybe plain unicode text).

As an example, let's assume we have an org file that should eventually
be available as HTML, PDF and plain text. Let's assume further, that for
whatever reasons (e.g. ugly double quotes in the needed font) the
document should use French quoting. Ideally
`\SomeMagicOrgEncoding{}Quote\AnotherMagicOrgEncoding{}' in the org file
would export to

  HTML       ->         &laquo;Quote&raquo;
  LaTeX      ->         \flqq{}Quote\frqq{}
  ASCII      ->         "Quote"
 (Unicode    ->         «Quote»)

Resorting to `org-html-entities' we could use

--8<--------------------------snip-------------------------->8---

#+LATEX_HEADER: \newcommand{\laquo}{\flqq} \newcommand{\raquo}{\frqq}

[...]

\laquo{}Quote\raquo{}

--8<--------------------------snap-------------------------->8---

to get the HTML and LaTeX output right but this leaves us with
`\laquo{}' in ASCII export and is generally a rather cumbersome
approach.

Maybe there's a simpler solution to address this but I haven't come
across it, yet (Note that `Use unicode!' isn't an option sometimes.).

Quoting is just one example that strikes my quite often, but the same
applies for all sorts of special characters; think of arrows, accented
characters etc.

This is certainly not a very pressing issue but it might be worth
thinking about how to handle this. What do you think?

Ulf

* Re: Org Entities (was: Add \EUR to `org-html-entities')
@ 2009-12-17 12:49         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-17 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ulf,

feel free to send me a modified version of the definitions of
org-html-entities which contains an ASCII element as the third
element of a list.

I would then use this element for ASCII export.

- Carsten

On Dec 17, 2009, at 10:04 AM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have added your symbols.
>
> thanks, works great.
>
> I was wondering if there's a more general problem lurking behind this
> (thus the change of subject): the problem of encoding entities in org
> for various export formats, namely HTML, LaTeX, plain ASCII text (and
> maybe plain unicode text).
>
> As an example, let's assume we have an org file that should eventually
> be available as HTML, PDF and plain text. Let's assume further, that
> for
> whatever reasons (e.g. ugly double quotes in the needed font) the
> document should use French quoting. Ideally
> `\SomeMagicOrgEncoding{}Quote\AnotherMagicOrgEncoding{}' in the org
> file
> would export to
>
>  HTML       ->         &laquo;Quote&raquo;
>  LaTeX      ->         \flqq{}Quote\frqq{}
>  ASCII      ->         "Quote"
> (Unicode    ->         «Quote»)
>
> Resorting to `org-html-entities' we could use
>
> --8<--------------------------snip-------------------------->8---
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \newcommand{\laquo}{\flqq} \newcommand{\raquo}{\frqq}
>
> [...]
>
> \laquo{}Quote\raquo{}
>
> --8<--------------------------snap-------------------------->8---
>
> to get the HTML and LaTeX output right but this leaves us with
> `\laquo{}' in ASCII export and is generally a rather cumbersome
> approach.
>
> Maybe there's a simpler solution to address this but I haven't come
> across it, yet (Note that `Use unicode!' isn't an option sometimes.).
>
> Quoting is just one example that strikes my quite often, but the same
> applies for all sorts of special characters; think of arrows, accented
> characters etc.
>
> This is certainly not a very pressing issue but it might be worth
> thinking about how to handle this. What do you think?
>
> Ulf

- Carsten

* Re: Org Entities
@ 2009-12-17 16:06           ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2009-12-17 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> feel free to send me a modified version of the definitions of
> org-html-entities which contains an ASCII element as the third
> element of a list.
>
> I would then use this element for ASCII export.

okay, great! I will work on that as soon as I have a little bit of spare
time. Stay tuned.

Ulf