emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Ruby or Python or Something
@ 2017-07-16 12:19 Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙)
From: Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙) @ 2017-07-16 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Somewaht it is foolish question. Suddenly i get interested in other
languages such as Ruby, Python, ... By the way these computing languages
help to understand of org mode?

My position is a writer, not programmer. To make HTML/LaTeX documents
with Emacs is my goal. Any comments welcome!!!

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: Ruby or Python or Something
@ 2017-07-17  8:07 ` Roland Everaert
From: Roland Everaert @ 2017-07-17  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

I guess it depends if you need to access external resources or not (DB,
webservices) or if you need to do heavy computations, for exemple. If not
and if you know lisp well, then, I think, it is better to stick with it.

As a dev/sysadmin, I tend to use whatever language suites my needs when
writing documents or adding data to some TODO item with emacs and org-mode.

       [not found] <mailman.73.1500220814.9482.emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
@ 2017-07-17 10:27 ` Adam Jackson
From: Adam Jackson @ 2017-07-17 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, soyeomul

Hi Byung-Hee,

org-mode itself uses emacs lisp as the programming language for development and extension and you may need to use a little lisp to access some of the features.

However, if you are interested in learning Python and/or Ruby I highly recommend you look at the org-babel features: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/ .

This allows you to mix up code blocks with your notes and links for an interactive "notebook" similar to Jupyter. (If you haven't tried Jupyter, you really should look at that too!)

These blocks will appear as formatted code blocks in your output HTML or LaTeX. I use it as a lab notebook.

All the best,

Adam

Message: 2

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 21:19:23 +0900

From: "Byung-Hee HWANG (???,     =?utf-8?B?6buD54Kz54aZKQ==?="

    &lt;soyeomul@doraji.xyz&gt;

To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Subject: [O] Ruby or Python or Something

Somewaht it is foolish question. Suddenly i get interested in other

languages such as Ruby, Python, ... By the way these computing languages

help to understand of org mode?

My position is a writer, not programmer. To make HTML/LaTeX documents

with Emacs is my goal. Any comments welcome!!!

--

^????? _????_ ?????_^))//

* Re: Ruby or Python or Something
@ 2017-07-17 10:55   ` Axel E. Retif
From: Axel E. Retif @ 2017-07-17 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, soyeomul

On 07/17/2017 05:27 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:

> Hi Byung-Hee,
>
> org-mode itself uses emacs lisp as the programming language for
> development and extension and you may need to use a little lisp to
> access some of the features.
>
> However, if you are interested in learning Python and/or Ruby I highly
> recommend you look at the org-babel features:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/ .
> This allows you to mix up code blocks with your notes and links for an
> interactive "notebook" similar to Jupyter. (If you haven't tried
> Jupyter, you really should look at that too!)

I also recommend to take a look at John Kitchin's YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQp2VLAOlvq142YN3JO3y8w

He uses extensively Emacs org-mode, Python and LaTeX.

Best

Axel

* Re: Ruby or Python or Something
@ 2017-07-19 11:54     ` Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙)
From: Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙) @ 2017-07-19 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Axel E. Retif" <axel.retif@gmail.com> 께서 쓰시길,
 《記事 全文 <91f7fcc1-9021-90bd-9847-2c9f7f5b0922@gmail.com> 에서》:

> On 07/17/2017 05:27 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
>
>> Hi Byung-Hee,
>>
>> org-mode itself uses emacs lisp as the programming language for
>> development and extension and you may need to use a little lisp to
>> access some of the features.
>>
>> However, if you are interested in learning Python and/or Ruby I
>> highly recommend you look at the org-babel features:
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/ .
>> This allows you to mix up code blocks with your notes and links for
>> an interactive "notebook" similar to Jupyter. (If you haven't tried
>> Jupyter, you really should look at that too!)
>
> I also recommend to take a look at John Kitchin's YouTube channel:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQp2VLAOlvq142YN3JO3y8w
>
> He uses extensively Emacs org-mode, Python and LaTeX.
>

> Best
>
> Axel

Dear Roland, Adam, Axel,

Thanks to all, indeed. And i will consider all advises.

Sincerely,

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//