emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Problems with org-drill
@ 2015-12-02 13:37 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2015-12-02 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I don't know how many of you guys use org-drill as vocabulary learning
software. I have started some weeks ago to learn Norwegian. The concept
and flexibility of the extension (contrib) are great. But there is a
problem (bug?).

During drill-sessions empty cards continue to show up. About 30-40% of
the questions show an empty screen. These empty screens are fully
counted as cards in the mini-buffer counter. I use to skip those "cards"
with "s" but I have the feeling that this skips real questions which
just are not displayed properly. This would mean I'm creating
knowledge-gaps in each session.

Editing these cards with "e" doesn't seems to work. It only stops the
drill-session with the point in the line where I started. There seems to
be no rule involved in those "empty screens" showing up. (But I have the
feeling they often occur after I give a card score (0-5) differing from
the score of the last question.) Neither can I see that there are
malformed entries which could explain the phenomenon.

Does anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

Sven

--
Sven Bretfeld
Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies

* Re: Problems with org-drill
@ 2015-12-02 14:12 ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2015-12-02 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: eeeickythump

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> I don't know how many of you guys use org-drill as vocabulary learning
> software. I have started some weeks ago to learn Norwegian. The concept
> and flexibility of the extension (contrib) are great. But there is a
> problem (bug?).
>
> During drill-sessions empty cards continue to show up. About 30-40% of
> the questions show an empty screen. These empty screens are fully
> counted as cards in the mini-buffer counter. I use to skip those "cards"
> with "s" but I have the feeling that this skips real questions which
> just are not displayed properly. This would mean I'm creating
> knowledge-gaps in each session.
>
> Editing these cards with "e" doesn't seems to work. It only stops the
> drill-session with the point in the line where I started. There seems to
> be no rule involved in those "empty screens" showing up. (But I have the
> feeling they often occur after I give a card score (0-5) differing from
> the score of the last question.) Neither can I see that there are
> malformed entries which could explain the phenomenon.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

Yes and you can remove the line

(set-window-start nil window-start)

from defun org-toggle-latex-fragment in org.el for a fix.  I use this
fix for a while and have not seen any (unwanted) side effects yet.

The real issue may be somewhere else though.

HTH,
--
Marco Wahl
GPG: 0x49010A040A3AE6F2

* Re: Problems with org-drill
@ 2016-04-30 18:39   ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2016-04-30 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    MW> Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:
    >> I don't know how many of you guys use org-drill as vocabulary
    >> learning software. I have started some weeks ago to learn
    >> Norwegian. The concept and flexibility of the extension (contrib)
    >> are great. But there is a problem (bug?).
    >>
    >> During drill-sessions empty cards continue to show up. About
    >> 30-40% of the questions show an empty screen. These empty screens
    >> are fully counted as cards in the mini-buffer counter. I use to
    >> skip those "cards" with "s" but I have the feeling that this
    >> skips real questions which just are not displayed properly. This
    >> would mean I'm creating knowledge-gaps in each session.
    >>
    >> Editing these cards with "e" doesn't seems to work. It only stops
    >> the drill-session with the point in the line where I
    >> started. There seems to be no rule involved in those "empty
    >> screens" showing up. (But I have the feeling they often occur
    >> after I give a card score (0-5) differing from the score of the
    >> last question.) Neither can I see that there are malformed
    >> entries which could explain the phenomenon.
    >>
    >> Does anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

    MW> Yes and you can remove the line

    MW> (set-window-start nil window-start)

    MW> from defun org-toggle-latex-fragment in org.el for a fix.  I use
    MW> this fix for a while and have not seen any (unwanted) side
    MW> effects yet.

    MW> The real issue may be somewhere else though.

Anything new about this problem?  I also experience the bug, it's still
present and I have to remove the given line on any Org update. :-(

* Re: Problems with org-drill
@ 2016-05-05  8:21     ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2016-05-05  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Milan Zamazal <pdm@zamazal.org> writes:

> Anything new about this problem?  I also experience the bug, it's still
> present and I have to remove the given line on any Org update. :-(

Bugtracker:
 https://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-drill/issues/30/random-blank-buffer-2

Little function by jschaf:
https://github.com/jschaf/dotfiles/commit/263a0f1607350e0cdacc7229d775ab50520949f0

I'm still trying to find the bugreport for the bug mentioned here in
org.el defun org-toggle-latex-fragment :
+         ;; Work around a bug that doesn't restore window's start
+         ;; when widening back the buffer.

@ 2016-06-22 12:43       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2016-06-22 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

On 2016-05-05 10:21, Memnon Anon <memnon+usenet@freeshell.org> writes:

> Milan Zamazal <pdm@zamazal.org> writes:
>
>> Anything new about this problem?  I also experience the bug, it's still
>> present and I have to remove the given line on any Org update. :-(
>
> Bugtracker:
>  https://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-drill/issues/30/random-blank-buffer-2
>
> Little function by jschaf:
> https://github.com/jschaf/dotfiles/commit/263a0f1607350e0cdacc7229d775ab50520949f0
>
> I'm still trying to find the bugreport for the bug mentioned here in
> org.el defun org-toggle-latex-fragment :
> +         ;; Work around a bug that doesn't restore window's start
> +         ;; when widening back the buffer.
> +         (set-window-start nil window-start)

I just started using org-drill, and I'm seeing the same issue (using
current org-plus-contrib from elpa). I tried to follow the link to the
"little function" but I get a 404. Any suggestion to get rid of the bug?

Thanks,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Monthly Athmospheric CO₂, Mauna Loa Obs. 2015-05: 403.94, 2016-05: 407.70

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Problems with org-drill
@ 2016-06-22 22:59         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-06-22 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: Memnon Anon, emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> I just started using org-drill, and I'm seeing the same issue (using
> current org-plus-contrib from elpa). I tried to follow the link to the
> "little function" but I get a 404. Any suggestion to get rid of the
> bug?

Hopefully, it is now fixed. Thank you.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Problems with org-drill
@ 2016-06-27  6:56           ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2016-06-27  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2016-06-23 00:59, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> I just started using org-drill, and I'm seeing the same issue (using
>> current org-plus-contrib from elpa). I tried to follow the link to the
>> "little function" but I get a 404. Any suggestion to get rid of the
>> bug?
>
> Hopefully, it is now fixed. Thank you.

I updated to the latest org-plus-contrib and all is well now. Thanks a
lot!

Alan