emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Emacs 21 doesn't pick utf-8 as the coding system
@ 2010-06-07 11:28 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-06-07 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm trying to work on a file created on emacs 22 on Debian lenny, on
emacs 21 on RHEL4.  The org file in emacs 21 shows up with UTF-8
interpreted as iso-8859-1.

I've tried setting the coding explicitly with
 `C-x RET f utf-8-unix RET'
but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Are there lisp and mode-specific ways of fixing this? I'd rather not
mess with the locale settings...

Here are the locale settings:

On RHEL4:
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE=POSIX
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

On debian lenny:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=POSIX
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

* Re: Emacs 21 doesn't pick utf-8 as the coding system
@ 2010-06-07 11:52 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-06-07 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I'm trying to work on a file created on emacs 22 on Debian lenny, on
> emacs 21 on RHEL4.  The org file in emacs 21 shows up with UTF-8
> interpreted as iso-8859-1.

> I've tried setting the coding explicitly with
>  `C-x RET f utf-8-unix RET'
> but that didn't seem to make any difference.

I've tried doing
 export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
on RHEL before starting emacs and opening the org-mode file.

That didn't make any difference either.  The opened file still showed
UTF-8 displayed interpreted as if it was iso-8859-1.