emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Bug: Bug in svg generation from plantuml sources [9.1.7 (9.1.7-20-ge1f1ac-elpa @ /home/guertler/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20180319/)]
@ 2018-03-20 11:24 Martin Gürtler
From: Martin Gürtler @ 2018-03-20 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

ob-plantuml wraps a plantuml source in @startuml/@enduml tags without
checking whether they are already in the source code. This results in
the creation of invalid SVG, at least for newer versions of plantuml,
because the resulting SVG file contains then two XML documents ((I was
using version 1.2018.2, it seems to work though for older plantuml
versions <= 8059).

So the following does not work

#+BEGIN_SRC plantuml :file "out.svg"
@startuml
a->b
@enduml
#+END_SRC

while this works:

#+BEGIN_SRC plantuml :file "out.svg"
a->b
#+END_SRC

Every plantuml example I found contains @startuml/@enduml so all my old
org mode files do contain the tags... I feel the required change is not
very difficult, but unfortunately I do not speak elisp at all...

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.2.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.28)
 of 2018-02-19, modified by Debian
Package: Org mode version 9.1.7 (9.1.7-20-ge1f1ac-elpa @ /home/guertler/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20180319/)

Thanks for considering,

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Gürtler

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Bug: Bug in svg generation from plantuml sources [9.1.7 (9.1.7-20-ge1f1ac-elpa @ /home/guertler/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20180319/)]
@ 2018-03-20 16:16 ` Andy Moreton
From: Andy Moreton @ 2018-03-20 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue 20 Mar 2018, Martin Gürtler wrote:

> ob-plantuml wraps a plantuml source in @startuml/@enduml tags without
> checking whether they are already in the source code. This results in
> the creation of invalid SVG, at least for newer versions of plantuml,
> because the resulting SVG file contains then two XML documents ((I was
> using version 1.2018.2, it seems to work though for older plantuml
> versions <= 8059).
>
> So the following does not work
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC plantuml :file "out.svg"
> @startuml
> a->b
> @enduml
> #+END_SRC
>

> while this works:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC plantuml :file "out.svg"
> a->b
> #+END_SRC
>
> Every plantuml example I found contains @startuml/@enduml so all my old
> org mode files do contain the tags... I feel the required change is not
> very difficult, but unfortunately I do not speak elisp at all...
>
> Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.2.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.28)
>  of 2018-02-19, modified by Debian
> Package: Org mode version 9.1.7 (9.1.7-20-ge1f1ac-elpa @ /home/guertler/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20180319/)
>
> Thanks for considering,
>
> Martin

Note that newer versions of plantuml supports additional diagram types, so
diagrams may need to use:
  @startuml   .. @enduml
  @startsalt  .. @endsalt
  @startdot   .. @enddot
  @startditaa .. @endditaa
  @startgantt .. @endgantt

It is expected that support for new diagram types will use keywords
starting with "@start" and "@end" as delimiters. See "Generalisation" at
http://plantuml.com/ditaa for more details.

    AndyM