emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Archive tag
@ 2007-11-02 14:02 Uwe Jochum
From: Uwe Jochum @ 2007-11-02 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

when I change (using customize menue for "Org Archive") the archive tag
from "Archive" (English) to "Archiv" (German) I have to set the faces
for "Archiv" anew, and the "Archiv" tag doesn't do what the "Archive"
tag does, i.e. "Archiv" doesn't work. Is this intentionally so? (Problem
seen in Emacs 22.1.1 with org 5.13.)

Schöne Grüße,

Uwe

* Re: Archive tag
@ 2007-11-02 18:43 ` Bastien
       [not found]   ` <uabpwwmz6.fsf@uni-konstanz.de>
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-02 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Uwe,

"Uwe Jochum" <uwe.jochum@uni-konstanz.de> writes:

> when I change (using customize menue for "Org Archive") the archive
> tag from "Archive" (English) to "Archiv" (German) I have to set the
> faces for "Archiv" anew, and the "Archiv" tag doesn't do what the
> "Archive" tag does, i.e. "Archiv" doesn't work. Is this intentionally
> so? (Problem seen in Emacs 22.1.1 with org 5.13.)

I don't have a solution, but just to remind you that Using the ARCHIVE
tag is the "old" way of handling archives - Org now prefers to use the
ARCHIVE property:

,----
| * A headline
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :ARCHIVE: archives/patres_archive::
|   :END:
|
| ** This headline will be archived in archives/patres_archive
`----

Unlike the ARCHIVE tag, the property name ARCHIVE is fixed and cannot be
changed.

HTH,

--
Bastien

* Re: Archive tag
@ 2007-11-02 19:37   ` Daniel J. Sinder
       [not found]   ` <uabpwwmz6.fsf@uni-konstanz.de>
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2007-11-02 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 11/02/2007 11:43 AM, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Uwe,
>
> "Uwe Jochum" <uwe.jochum@uni-konstanz.de> writes:
>
>> when I change (using customize menue for "Org Archive") the archive
>> tag from "Archive" (English) to "Archiv" (German) I have to set the
>> faces for "Archiv" anew, and the "Archiv" tag doesn't do what the
>> "Archive" tag does, i.e. "Archiv" doesn't work. Is this intentionally
>> so? (Problem seen in Emacs 22.1.1 with org 5.13.)
>
> I don't have a solution, but just to remind you that Using the ARCHIVE
> tag is the "old" way of handling archives - Org now prefers to use the
> ARCHIVE property:
>
> ,----
> | * A headline
> |   :PROPERTIES:
> |   :ARCHIVE: archives/patres_archive::
> |   :END:
> |
> | ** This headline will be archived in archives/patres_archive
> `----
>
> Unlike the ARCHIVE tag, the property name ARCHIVE is fixed and cannot be
> changed.
>
> HTH,

I don't have a solution either, but wanted to point out that there
is nothing "old" about the ARCHIVE tag -- it serves a different
purpose than the ARCHIVE property.

The ARCHIVE tag leaves a heading where it is, but locks the tree
from visibility cycling and hides it from sparse trees and agendas.

The ARCHIVE property is alternative for "#+ARCHIVE" which is a
file-specific way of setting org-archive-location.

Dan

* Re: Archive tag
       [not found]   ` <uabpwwmz6.fsf@uni-konstanz.de>
@ 2007-11-02 23:37     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-02 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Uwe Jochum" <uwe.jochum@uni-konstanz.de> writes:

> thanks for pointing to the new property feature, which isn't that new,
> I know. But I hadn't found the information on a fixed property name
> "Archive" in the manual either. Perhaps my fault.

No, the manual should be updated on this.  Thanks for pointing this out.

> I'll stay with the English name "Archive" and see what properties can
> do.

I guess once the set of Org internal properties stabilizes, we might be
somehow able to customize their names.

Best,

--
Bastien

* Re: Archive tag
@ 2007-11-02 23:39     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-02 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Daniel J. Sinder" <djsinder@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't have a solution either, but wanted to point out that there
> is nothing "old" about the ARCHIVE tag -- it serves a different
> purpose than the ARCHIVE property.
>
> The ARCHIVE tag leaves a heading where it is, but locks the tree
> from visibility cycling and hides it from sparse trees and agendas.
>
> The ARCHIVE property is alternative for "#+ARCHIVE" which is a
> file-specific way of setting org-archive-location.

Yes, thanks for the clarification!

--
Bastien

* Re: Archive tag
@ 2007-11-03 12:35 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-11-03 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Jochum; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On  2Nov2007, at 3:02 PM, Uwe Jochum wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> when I change (using customize menue for "Org Archive") the archive
> tag
> from "Archive" (English) to "Archiv" (German) I have to set the faces
> for "Archiv" anew, and the "Archiv" tag doesn't do what the "Archive"
> tag does, i.e. "Archiv" doesn't work. Is this intentionally so?
> (Problem
> seen in Emacs 22.1.1 with org 5.13.)

Yes, this ia a bug, ARCHIVE is hard-coded for fontification.  Will be
fixed in 5.14.

- Carsten

* Re: Archive tag
@ 2007-11-03 14:47   ` Uwe Jochum
From: Uwe Jochum @ 2007-11-03 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote on Nov 03 2007 (13:35):
>> when I change (using customize menue for "Org Archive") the
>> archive  tag
>> from "Archive" (English) to "Archiv" (German) I have to set the faces
>> for "Archiv" anew, and the "Archiv" tag doesn't do what the "Archive"
>> tag does, i.e. "Archiv" doesn't work. Is this intentionally so?
>> (Problem
>> seen in Emacs 22.1.1 with org 5.13.)
>
> Yes, this ia a bug, ARCHIVE is hard-coded for fontification.
> Will be  fixed in 5.14.

Thanks!

Uwe