emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* There is no line to end here at LaTeX org-ref export
@ 2016-08-30  8:22 Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2016-08-30  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I learn to use org-ref and try to export a simple document:

* Section
label:Testlabel Some citations cite:Bungartz2015 and cite:Torres2009 and a reference to a label ref:Testlabel

bibliographystyle:unsrt
[[bibliography:/home/florian/Mendeley/library.bib]]

This exports to:

\section{Section}
\label{sec-1}
\label{Testlabel} Some citations \cite{Bungartz2015} and \cite{Torres2009} and a reference to a label \ref{Testlabel} \\

\bibliographystyle{unsrt} \\
\bibliography{../../Mendeley/library} \\
% Emacs 24.5.1 (Org mode 8.2.10)
\end{document}

Compilation gives: LaTeX Error: There's no line here to end.

Removing the last two double slashes after \bibliography and \bibliographystyle fixes it.

In https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref/issues/279 the author says it probably not related to org-ref, however I was
unable to reproduce it without it.

All I configured when it comes to org / latex is:

        org-latex-packages-alist '(("" "listings") ("" "color"))
        org-latex-pdf-process '("latexmk -f -pdf %f")
        org-latex-table-caption-above nil

However, I was doing the compile manually, so pdf-process is irrelevant here.

Any ideas how to fix that?

Thanks!
Florian

* Re: There is no line to end here at LaTeX org-ref export
@ 2016-08-31  7:45 ` Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2016-08-31  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 30.08.2016 um 10:22 schrieb Florian Lindner:

> In https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref/issues/279 the author says it probably not related to org-ref, however I was
> unable to reproduce it without it.

An example without org-ref that produces this error:

#+BEGIN_SRC python :exports results :results file
  import matplotlib.pyplot as plt, numpy as np
  x = np.linspace(-2, 2, 1000)
  plt.plot(x, np.exp(-np.power(4*x, 2)), label="shape-parameter=4")
  plt.savefig('rbf-gaussian-4.pdf')
  return "rbf-gaussian-4.pdf"
#+END_SRC
#+NAME: fig:org_fig
#+CAPTION: Org Fig
#+RESULTS: fig:org_fig
[[file:rbf-gaussian-4.pdf]]
Some text

Gives, when compiled to latex gives also: There is no line here to end:

ERROR: LaTeX Error: There's no line here to end.

--- TeX said ---

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.40 S
      ome text \\
--- HELP ---
A \newline or \\ command appears between paragraphs, where it makes no
sense. If you're trying to ``leave a blank line'', use a \vspace
command.

@ 2016-08-31  7:48 ` Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2016-08-31  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

org-version is

Org-mode version 8.3.5 (8.3.5-4-g2dfdaf-elpa @ /home/florian/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20160829/)

@ 2016-09-01  6:02   ` Nick Dokos
       [not found]     ` <97bdf173ef3049a9871038d52cd55df7@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-09-01  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Am 30.08.2016 um 10:22 schrieb Florian Lindner:
>
>> In https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref/issues/279 the author says it probably not related to org-ref, however I was
>> unable to reproduce it without it.
>
> An example without org-ref that produces this error:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python :exports results :results file
>   import matplotlib.pyplot as plt, numpy as np
>   x = np.linspace(-2, 2, 1000)
>   plt.plot(x, np.exp(-np.power(4*x, 2)), label="shape-parameter=4")
>   plt.savefig('rbf-gaussian-4.pdf')
>   return "rbf-gaussian-4.pdf"
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+NAME: fig:org_fig
> #+CAPTION: Org Fig
>
> #+RESULTS: fig:org_fig
> [[file:rbf-gaussian-4.pdf]]
>
> Some text
>

> Gives, when compiled to latex gives also: There is no line here to end:
>
> ERROR: LaTeX Error: There's no line here to end.
>
> --- TeX said ---
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.40 S
>       ome text \\
> --- HELP ---
> A \newline or \\ command appears between paragraphs, where it makes no
> sense. If you're trying to ``leave a blank line'', use a \vspace
> command.
>

> Thanks,
> Florian

Try this:

An example without org-ref that produces this error:

#+NAME: fig:org_fig
#+BEGIN_SRC python :exports results :results file
  import matplotlib.pyplot as plt, numpy as np
  x = np.linspace(-2, 2, 1000)
  plt.plot(x, np.exp(-np.power(4*x, 2)), label="shape-parameter=4")
  plt.savefig('rbf-gaussian-4.pdf')
  return "rbf-gaussian-4.pdf"
#+END_SRC

#+CAPTION: Org Fig
#+RESULTS: fig:org_fig
[[file:rbf-gaussian-4.pdf]]

Some text

Nick

* Re: There is no line to end here at LaTeX org-ref export
@ 2016-09-02 13:04     ` Florian Lindner
       [not found]     ` <97bdf173ef3049a9871038d52cd55df7@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Florian Lindner @ 2016-09-02 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 01.09.2016 um 08:02 schrieb Nick Dokos:

> Try this:

> An example without org-ref that produces this error:
>
> #+NAME: fig:org_fig
> #+BEGIN_SRC python :exports results :results file
>   import matplotlib.pyplot as plt, numpy as np
>   x = np.linspace(-2, 2, 1000)
>   plt.plot(x, np.exp(-np.power(4*x, 2)), label="shape-parameter=4")
>   plt.savefig('rbf-gaussian-4.pdf')
>   return "rbf-gaussian-4.pdf"
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+CAPTION: Org Fig
> #+RESULTS: fig:org_fig
> [[file:rbf-gaussian-4.pdf]]
>

> Some text

Some story, nothing changed. Still no line to end here.

Best,

@ 2016-09-02 13:12       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-09-02 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Lindner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Can you post an actual org test file as an attachment?  And also the
resulting LaTeX file on export?

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.5-1070-g190476

* Re: There is no line to end here at LaTeX org-ref export
@ 2016-09-02 16:01         ` Nick Dokos
       [not found]         ` <f07593c389194c028f4a2ca0a5933e13@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-09-02 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Can you post an actual org test file as an attachment?  And also the
> resulting LaTeX file on export?

My thoughts exactly.

The version that I posted works fine here, so there must be something
else going on.

--
Nick

* Re: There is no line to end here at LaTeX org-ref export
@ 2016-09-05 20:55         ` Florian Lindner
       [not found]         ` <f07593c389194c028f4a2ca0a5933e13@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Florian Lindner @ 2016-09-05 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 02.09.2016 um 15:12 schrieb Eric S Fraga:
> Can you post an actual org test file as an attachment?  And also the
> resulting LaTeX file on export?

Hey,

sorry for the late reply. I tried to reproduce the problem firstly using emacs -Q but it worked like that.

After some bisect debugging I found out that setting

(setq org-latex-pdf-process '("latexmk -f -pdf %f"))

triggered the error.

But the usual latex process also causes the error, but gives the error message

Processing LaTeX file ./test2.tex...
PDF file produced with errors.

and continues. You have no errors using that snippet? Can you compile ther resulting tex file using auctex or the
latexmk command above? And why does latexmk -f does not continue despite the error? That's what the -f option should do?
I want to use latexmk to include also bibtex generation.

Ok, after some debugging and bisecting my .emacs, org-export-preserve-breaks t seems to cause the faulty export.

@ 2016-09-05 21:34           ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-09-05 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Lindner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

that does explain why I couldn't reproduce what you see. I have
org-export-preserve-breaks set to nil. I didn't even know about that
one! Glad to hear you figured it out.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

@ 2016-09-06  6:41           ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-09-06  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Lindner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Monday,  5 Sep 2016 at 20:55, Florian Lindner wrote:
> Am 02.09.2016 um 15:12 schrieb Eric S Fraga:
>> Can you post an actual org test file as an attachment?  And also the
>> resulting LaTeX file on export?

[...]

> and continues. You have no errors using that snippet? Can you compile

I cannot work with the snippet you gave as I don't have all the
requisite python modules...

I have encountered, in my own files, a similar problem with LaTeX export
when including graphics just before the end of a beamer slide.  I've not
figured out what is causing it nor have I been able to produce a minimal
example to illustrate the problem.  I'm just telling you this so that
you know that you're not the only one with issues with LaTeX export.

I also am not running the absolute latest version of org but I don't
want to upgrade right now as I am preparing my slides for the coming
academic term...

> Ok, after some debugging and bisecting my .emacs,
> org-export-preserve-breaks t seems to cause the faulty export.

Interesting.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.5-1070-g190476