emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* suggestions of Android smartphones
@ 2010-04-18 14:07 Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-04-18 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

 --- resending with a proper title ---

Matthew,

Just a suggestion for newbies.

Could you generate a video of MobileOrg Android similar to those of
the MobileOrg Iphone.

I am still open to suggestions of Android smartphones.

If I need to access a remote ssh account and open Emacs, the available
keyborards are OK?

Daniel

PS I "bought"  an Android phone called Motorola Quench but due to a
"misunderstanding" with the operator I was forced to cancel the
purchase. (I am still very annoyed with this problem)

2010/4/13 Matthew Jones <mat@matburt.net>:
> I am the developer/maintainer of MobileOrg for Android and I'd appreciate
> any feedback on the application.   You can find more information and
> download links on the
> wiki: http://wiki.github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/
> 73,
> Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
> http://matburt.net
>

> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Please, share your first impressions!!! I just bought an Android phone
>> and would like to take similar routes.
>>
>> Daniel

>> > Thanks - I'll take a look.

* Re: suggestions of Android smartphones
@ 2010-04-18 20:12 ` Sven Bretfeld
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-04-18 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Daniel

Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com> writes:

> If I need to access a remote ssh account and open Emacs, the available
> keyborards are OK?

The standard (soft)keyboard is principally OK if you use Emacs on a
remote machine via ConnectBot, which is a free ssh client available in
the market. Pressing the Trackball once simulates CTRL, pressing it
twice simulates ESC/META. But there are sometimes problems with
TAB-expansion. 2 x Trackball + SPC simulates TAB. But this is sometimes
not working, for example for BBDB-expansions of Email addresses in Gnus,
also for some commands with M-x. "No expansion found". I don't know why.

Greetings,

Sven

* Re: suggestions of Android smartphones
@ 2010-04-18 20:39   ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-04-18 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thank you very much!

BTW what Android smartphone do you have?

Daniel

@ 2010-04-19  3:52 ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2010-04-19  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Daniel, thanks for this suggestion it's a really good idea, I hope to make
some as part of the documentation effort in the near future.

I have a Droid and love it and its physical keyboard but I tend to do very
simple things via ConnectBot to whatever server I am connected to.

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

@ 2010-04-19  9:42 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-04-19  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:07:32 -0300, Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com> wrote:

>  --- resending with a proper title ---
>
> Matthew,
>
> Just a suggestion for newbies.
>
> Could you generate a video of MobileOrg Android similar to those of
> the MobileOrg Iphone.
>
> I am still open to suggestions of Android smartphones.
>
> If I need to access a remote ssh account and open Emacs, the available
> keyborards are OK?
>
> Daniel

I have the same questions!  My current mobile phone contract expires
in 3 months and I'm looking at upgrading to an Android phone.  The
current best deal I have found is for the Samsung Galaxy Portal, aka
the i5700.  [1] I'm looking at upgrading to replace my Nokia internet
tablet (n810) and non-smart phone with one unit.  The nokia does a
really nice job of running emacs and org-mode, mind you.

I'm particularly interested in knowing how the different handsets
approach the keying in of keys like C-x, M-x, TAB, et al.

Thanks,
eric

Footnotes:
[1]  for those in the UK, the best deal is currently with T-mobile at £15 pm
but this obviously changes day to day... 3, my current provider, are
asking £20 pm.  Both are 24 month contracts.

* Re: suggestions of Android smartphones
@ 2010-04-19 12:09   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-04-19 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:07:32 -0300, Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  --- resending with a proper title ---
>>
>> Matthew,
>>
>> Just a suggestion for newbies.
>>
>> Could you generate a video of MobileOrg Android similar to those of
>> the MobileOrg Iphone.
>>
>> I am still open to suggestions of Android smartphones.
>>
>> If I need to access a remote ssh account and open Emacs, the available
>> keyborards are OK?
>>
>> Daniel
>
> I have the same questions!  My current mobile phone contract expires
> in 3 months and I'm looking at upgrading to an Android phone.  The
> current best deal I have found is for the Samsung Galaxy Portal, aka
> the i5700.  [1] I'm looking at upgrading to replace my Nokia internet
> tablet (n810) and non-smart phone with one unit.  The nokia does a
> really nice job of running emacs and org-mode, mind you.
>
> I'm particularly interested in knowing how the different handsets
> approach the keying in of keys like C-x, M-x, TAB, et al.
>
> Thanks,
> eric

+1 on this. I had almost decided on the Motorola Milestone (Droid) but
would love to hear others experiences. Using org-mode in a term emacs is
not ideal because a lot of shift/arrow/fn chords dont work in the terminals
I tried (xterm, urxvt etc) and so doubt they will on a mobile device
either : so my hard core usage of only emacs -nw inside urxvt and tmux
soon dwindled and I'm back to using emacs in X. The only problem I now
have is not being to find a way to use ONE x frame with emacsclient
being able to create it if its not already done (I bet I've missed
something obvious but emacsclient -c always creates a new frame and
emacsclient wont create it if its not already there on my emacs).

* Re: Re: suggestions of Android smartphones
@ 2010-04-19 12:35     ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-04-19 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley, Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

The device I was tantalized to buy was the

Motorola Quench

maybe mainly for Swipe feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWpqsDnXIOY  (at about 1:00)

or maybe for the price (in Brazil is about 500 USD while the Milestone
is about 780 USD. I know both are outrageous prices in American or
European terms!). BTW the Quench in Brazil DOES NOT seem to come with
the swype feature...

In fact, I doubt I could edit in Emacs or similar in a phone. I am
afraid of virtual keyboards and small physical keyboards as well :)
For someone over forties I tend to do not consider these typing
devices as toys or at least funny :)

For this reason I think that a nice interface such as MobileOrg with
agenda view would be the best.

ConnectBot seems to be an option as well (when you have connection, of course!)

Sven, you seem quite happy with a virtual keyboard. Am I right?

Daniel

@ 2010-04-19 14:50       ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2010-04-19 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martins; +Cc: Richard Riley, emacs-orgmode

I used swype for about 2 days on my droid before getting rid of it... it's a
good concept that needs be iterated on.

Trying to use emacs from any of the Android shells is borderline
impossible... unless you have a full keyboard to hook up to your Android
phone then I would say you should rule out using it in that fashion.

One of the features I'm working on for the MobileOrg beta (along with being
able to capture notes and change todo states) is a home screen widget that
will show your Agenda or Todo list, this way you don't have to open the
application to view or adjust these items.

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

@ 2010-04-19 17:34         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-04-19 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jones; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:50:40 -0400, Matthew Jones <mat@matburt.net> wrote:

[...]

> Trying to use emacs from any of the Android shells is borderline
> impossible... unless you have a full keyboard to hook up to your Android
> phone then I would say you should rule out using it in that fashion.

okay.  this is worth knowing.  keeps my expectations rooted in reality!

> One of the features I'm working on for the MobileOrg beta (along with being
> able to capture notes and change todo states) is a home screen widget that
> will show your Agenda or Todo list, this way you don't have to open the
> application to view or adjust these items.

This sounds excellent.  I look forward to it (once I have the
appropriate phone, of course).

Thanks,
eric

* Re: Re: suggestions of Android smartphones
@ 2010-04-19 23:12         ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-04-19 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jones; +Cc: Richard Riley, emacs-orgmode

2010/4/19 Matthew Jones <mat@matburt.net>:
> I used swype for about 2 days on my droid before getting rid of it... it's a
> good concept that needs be iterated on.

I could not follow your comment here

> Trying to use emacs from any of the Android shells is borderline
> impossible... unless you have a full keyboard to hook up to your Android
> phone then I would say you should rule out using it in that fashion.

A bluetooth keyboard such as

is possible to be used with an Android phone? It worths an investment?

Daniel

@ 2010-04-19 23:15           ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-04-19 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.fraga; +Cc: Matthew Jones, emacs-orgmode

Just to comment that I am in the same situation/expectation as Eric.

I entered in the "buy mode" and despite my frustation with the phone
company procedures I perceived that "buy mode" is a "major mode".

Daniel

@ 2010-04-20  0:54           ` Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2010-04-20  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martins; +Cc: Richard Riley, emacs-orgmode

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant about the "swipe" feature.   There is a
keyboard called Swype which is fairly overrated.

I can't comment on how well or if a bluetooth keyboard would work... I think
if I were going to go to the trouble of carrying around a keyboard I would
rather just carry my netbook.

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

@ 2010-04-20 20:22             ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-04-20 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jones; +Cc: Richard Riley, emacs-orgmode

2010/4/19 Matthew Jones <mat@matburt.net>:
> Maybe I misunderstood what you meant about the "swipe" feature.   There is a
> keyboard called Swype which is fairly overrated.

Sorry for the misspelling and confusion!

> I can't comment on how well or if a bluetooth keyboard would work... I think
> if I were going to go to the trouble of carrying around a keyboard I would
> rather just carry my netbook.

This is a good point. And carrying my netbook is exactly what I am
doing right now! However, for exceptional cases (eg a trip) it would
be interesting to have some comfort while writing a long text in the
hotel.

Anyway Matthew for Org-mode purposes your MobileOrg for Android (with
Agenda view) will be enough!

Daniel

@ 2010-04-20 22:08         ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-04-20 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Jones <mat@matburt.net> writes:

>     ConnectBot seems to be an option as well (when you have connection, of
>     course!)
>
>     Sven, you seem quite happy with a virtual keyboard. Am I right?

I wouldn't write a book with it. But I wrote some paragraphs of articles
and do my Gnus stuff via ConnectBot. It's possible. But you have to
become used to the soft-keyboard. Anyway, as soon as I hear of a
blutooth qwerty keyboard working with Android, small and lightweight
enough (or foldable) to have it with me in my bag, I will be the first
to buy it.

ConnectBot is especially annoying when sitting in a train. Then, the
connection uses to break down every few minutes because of tunnels or
sometimes without any recognizable reason. And then working is no longer
possible. But that's the only situation when I really miss a genuine
Emacs port for Android. Thank god Emacs works with buffers, not files,
and that we have Emacs-daemon. Otherwise one would lose all the work,
when the connection breaks.

Greetings,

Sven

* Re: suggestions of Android smartphones
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-04-21  8:09 ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-04-21  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Hi all

I'm sorry to break the thread. By mistake I sent an answer to Daniel as
a PM. Now, I don't have the previous posting because of my expiration
settings. I will do some editing to my original answer because of
questions he asked me in the meantime. I'm really sorry.

Hi Daniel

Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com> writes:

> BTW what Android smartphone do you have?

I have a HTC Magic. ConnectBot is my favorite application. I have Emacs
always running as a daemon on my Computers. So connecting to them via
ConnectBot and starting Emacs is a matter of five seconds. No need for a
genuine Emacs on Android.

EDIT: You can do the same if you have Emacs 23 running and if you are
willing to never shut your PC down. To speed up the start of Emacsclient
I connect to the PC via ConnectBot using a key, not a password. My
.bashrc has an alias defined to start 'emacsclient -t' with the alias
'ec'. Emacs will be available within ca. 5 seconds even from a distance
of 300km. (You should have a UTMS flatrate for this.)

For Org stuff, I have an Emacs function that automatically generates
html files of all important agenda views once every hour. I copy these
files to the phone via AndFTP once or twice a day. Capturing I do with
Remember the Milk. So there are two methods of working with Org on
Android before MobileOrg is ready: the ssh method and the FTP/Remember
the Milk method. I'm quite happy with this solution.

EDIT: I explained my RTM method in a posting some weeks ago. The code is
included in that thread. Just search the archive for 'Remember the
Milk'. As for the function for generating html exports of the agenda
views:

(defun sb-org-update-year-agenda-file (&optional force)
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (save-window-excursion
      (let ((file "~/.gtd/html/org-year-agenda.html"))
        (org-batch-agenda "a" org-agenda-ndays 180 org-agenda-include-diary nil)
        (org-write-agenda file)))))

;; do it once at startup
(sb-org-update-year-agenda-file t)

This produces an html output of the main agenda view for 6 months. I
have a few other export functions for NEXT/HOME, NEXT/OFFICE and the
like. All html files are updated every 30 minutes to include all tasks
captured in the meantime:

(defun sb-org-update-all ()
  (interactive)
  (sb-org-update-today-txt-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-week-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-mit-txt-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-mit-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-big-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-today-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-year-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-home-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-office-agenda-file)
  (sb-org-update-waiting-file)
  (sb-org-update-delegated-file)
  (sb-org-update-project-agenda-file)
)

(run-at-time nil 1800 'sb-org-update-all)

On the Android side, I download these files once or twice a day to the
SD card with AndFTP (via SFTP of course). The directory ~/.gtd/html is
configured as the working directory in AndFTP. So, just press 'select
all' and start the download. This takes about 10 seconds, because the
year agenda file is quite large. I have linked each file on the Android
desktop with an Icon, which opens the file in an html viewer. The view
contains all formatting and colors of the original Emacs agenda view.

As you see, I export some agenda views also as txt files (it's the same
function as above, just replace the file ending .html with .txt). I use
these files with GnomeOSD, i.e. my most important appointments,
deadlines and things do to appear on my PC screen once an hour in large
letters and with a sound, to remind me of my tasks.

Greetings

Sven

Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com> writes:

>  --- resending with a proper title ---
>
> Matthew,
>
> Just a suggestion for newbies.
>
> Could you generate a video of MobileOrg Android similar to those of
> the MobileOrg Iphone.
>
> I am still open to suggestions of Android smartphones.
>
> If I need to access a remote ssh account and open Emacs, the available
> keyborards are OK?
>
> Daniel
>

> PS I "bought"  an Android phone called Motorola Quench but due to a
> "misunderstanding" with the operator I was forced to cancel the
> purchase. (I am still very annoyed with this problem)
>

> 2010/4/13 Matthew Jones <mat@matburt.net>:
>> I am the developer/maintainer of MobileOrg for Android and I'd appreciate
>> any feedback on the application.   You can find more information and
>> download links on the
>> wiki: http://wiki.github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/
>> 73,
>> Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
>> http://matburt.net
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Please, share your first impressions!!! I just bought an Android phone
>>> and would like to take similar routes.
>>>
>>> Daniel

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sven Bretfeld

___________________________________
Prof. Dr. Sven Bretfeld
      \ CEntrum für
CERES  \ REligionswissenschaftliche
________\_Studien__________________
Ruhr-Universität Bochum
Universitätsstraße 150
D-44780 Bochum
http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/ceres/de/organisation/beteiligte/sven_bretfeld.html

* Re: suggestions of Android smartphones
@ 2010-04-21 11:09   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-04-21 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

On 21 Apr 2010 10:09:47 +0200, "Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm sorry to break the thread. By mistake I sent an answer to Daniel as
> a PM. Now, I don't have the previous posting because of my expiration
> settings. I will do some editing to my original answer because of
> questions he asked me in the meantime. I'm really sorry.

[...]

Sven,

Thank you very much for this message.  Very helpful to have such a
detailed description of a working scenario for org and mobile phones!
I'll definitely be keeping this message until I manage to get myself a
smartphone...

Thanks again,
eric