emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-contacts bug when completing tags in gnus
@ 2016-11-09 10:23 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2016-11-09 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm giving org-contacts a try, and I'm having an error when I'm trying
to complete a tag (something should be a sequence but it's a number).
Digging a little into it, it seems that the problem is during
hilighting, where a fontified string is returned by all-completions
instead of a list (in `completion-pcm--all-completions' in minibuffer.el),
which then make `completion-hilit-commonality' fail because it expects a
list. I'm only seeing this problem with org-contacts, so I'm wondering
if it might be the reason for this problem in emacs code.

My contacts file looks like this:

* Test                                                              :test:
:PROPERTIES:
:EMAIL: alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org
:END:

To reproduce, save this in some path/contacts.org file, do the following

  (require 'org-contacts)
  (org-contacts-gnus-insinuate)
  (setq org-contacts-files (list "path/contacts.org"))

then start an email in gnus, in the To field write +, then hit TAB.

I'm using org-mode 9 and emacs 25.1.1. Is this a known problem with
them?

Thanks,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Monthly Athmospheric CO₂, Mauna Loa Obs. 2016-09: 401.03, 2015-09: 397.63

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org-contacts bug when completing tags in gnus
@ 2016-11-09 13:35 ` Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2016-11-09 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yeah, I dodge around these sort of problems a lot with
org-contacts. It is in need of a curator and probably a rewritten
version; it also doesn't play nice with Helm. I haven't tried it
with org 9.0 yet, though.

@ 2016-11-10  8:03   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2016-11-10  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-11-09 06:35, tory_anderson@byu.edu (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Yeah, I dodge around these sort of problems a lot with org-contacts. It is in
> need of a curator and probably a rewritten version; it also doesn't play nice
> with Helm. I haven't tried it with org 9.0 yet, though.

This is really too bad. Are there alternatives for managing contacts
with org? Or is bbdb the solution?

Thanks,

Alan

--

@ 2016-11-10 12:54   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2016-11-10 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-11-09 06:35, tory_anderson@byu.edu (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> Yeah, I dodge around these sort of problems a lot with org-contacts. It is in
> need of a curator and probably a rewritten version; it also doesn't play nice
> with Helm. I haven't tried it with org 9.0 yet, though.

I've tracked down the issue to a different behavior in completion
between the default one and helm/ivy approaches:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-11/msg00269.html

Unfortunately I don't really know how to fix it.

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Monthly Athmospheric CO₂, Mauna Loa Obs. 2016-10: 401.57, 2015-10: 398.29