emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize can't find back-end
@ 2016-04-06 15:29 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-04-06 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I used to be able to use org-buffer-org-mime-htmlize to send my org documents as multipart/alternative html & text email. For some
reason, this is stopped working, and now displays

Unknown "nil" back-end: Aborting export

In the *Messages* buffer, I see

org-export-barf-if-invalid-backend: Unknown "nil" back-end: Aborting export

So how is the back-end supposed to be defined? (And why might it have broken?) I haven't not made any related changes in a *long*
time.

Thank you.

-pd

* Re: org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize can't find back-end
@ 2016-04-07  8:29 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-04-07  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Peter,

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

> I used to be able to use org-buffer-org-mime-htmlize to send my org
> documents as multipart/alternative html & text email. For some
> reason, this is stopped working, and now displays
>
> Unknown "nil" back-end: Aborting export
>
> In the *Messages* buffer, I see
>
> org-export-barf-if-invalid-backend: Unknown "nil" back-end: Aborting export
>
> So how is the back-end supposed to be defined? (And why might it have
> broken?) I haven't not made any related changes in a *long*
> time.

Could you provide a reproducible example starting with emacs -q?

I can't reproduce it here by

1. starting from emacs -q with latest org from master
2. creating an org buffer with the content:
   - 1
   - 2
3. calling org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize on this buffer.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
Together we'll stand, divided we'll fall

* Re: org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize can't find back-end
@ 2016-04-07 11:22   ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-04-07 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:
>
>> I used to be able to use org-buffer-org-mime-htmlize to send my org
>> documents as multipart/alternative html & text email. For some
>> reason, this is stopped working, and now displays
>>
>> Unknown "nil" back-end: Aborting export
>>
>> In the *Messages* buffer, I see
>>
>> org-export-barf-if-invalid-backend: Unknown "nil" back-end: Aborting export
>>
>> So how is the back-end supposed to be defined? (And why might it have
>> broken?) I haven't not made any related changes in a *long*
>> time.
>
> Could you provide a reproducible example starting with emacs -q?
>
> I can't reproduce it here by
>
> 1. starting from emacs -q with latest org from master
> 2. creating an org buffer with the content:
>    - 1
>    - 2
> 3. calling org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize on this buffer.

Thank you, Rasmus, but ...

If I start emacs with -q, it doesn't know about org. It can't set org-mode, or run org-mime commands. Is there a way to load this
manually?

Also, can "the latest org from master" be gotten through package manager?

Thanks!

@ 2016-04-07 12:32 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-04-07 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:
>>
>>> I used to be able to use org-buffer-org-mime-htmlize to send my org
>>> documents as multipart/alternative html & text email. For some
>>> reason, this is stopped working, and now displays
>>>
>>> Unknown "nil" back-end: Aborting export
>>>
>>> In the *Messages* buffer, I see
>>>
>>> org-export-barf-if-invalid-backend: Unknown "nil" back-end: Aborting export
>>>
>>> So how is the back-end supposed to be defined? (And why might it have
>>> broken?) I haven't not made any related changes in a *long*
>>> time.
>>
>> Could you provide a reproducible example starting with emacs -q?
>>
>> I can't reproduce it here by
>>
>> 1. starting from emacs -q with latest org from master
>> 2. creating an org buffer with the content:
>>    - 1
>>    - 2
>> 3. calling org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize on this buffer.
>
> Thank you, Rasmus, but ...
>
> If I start emacs with -q, it doesn't know about org. It can't set org-mode, or run org-mime commands. Is there a way to load this
> manually?
>
> Also, can "the latest org from master" be gotten through package manager?

Hmmm. It seems I had this same problem last October, and manually loading ox-org solved it, as it does now. That was suggested by
Aaron Ecay.

Then, as suggested by Nicolas, I added (require 'ox-org) to my .emacs. I guess that worked for the time being. I haven't changed
much in my startup file since then, and almost everything following that is commented out. I did, however, try to add startup
commands for hyperbole, but I never got that working. Perhaps that broke things somehow.

Thanks again!

@ 2016-04-07 12:41 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-04-07 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

> Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:
>
>> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Peter,

>>> Could you provide a reproducible example starting with emacs -q?
>>>
>>> I can't reproduce it here by
>>>
>>> 1. starting from emacs -q with latest org from master
>>> 2. creating an org buffer with the content:
>>>    - 1
>>>    - 2
>>> 3. calling org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize on this buffer.
>>
>> Thank you, Rasmus, but ...
>>
>> If I start emacs with -q, it doesn't know about org. It can't set org-mode, or run org-mime commands. Is there a way to load this
>> manually?
>>
>> Also, can "the latest org from master" be gotten through package manager?
>

> Hmmm. It seems I had this same problem last October, and manually loading ox-org solved it, as it does now. That was suggested by
> Aaron Ecay.
>
> Then, as suggested by Nicolas, I added (require 'ox-org) to my .emacs. I guess that worked for the time being. I haven't changed
> much in my startup file since then, and almost everything following that is commented out. I did, however, try to add startup
> commands for hyperbole, but I never got that working. Perhaps that broke things somehow.

Actually, after re-reading the old exchange more carefully, it seems that I already had (require 'ox-org) in my startup file, but
still got the error. However, manually loading the ox-org library avoided the error.

So it seems that:

 1) the cause of the problem was never identified,
 2) manually loading ox-org avoids the problem, and,
 3) I guess I just haven't been using org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize on this machine for a while, so I forgot about it.

Interestingly, this all works with no problems on my other MacBook.

@ 2016-04-07 21:23 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-04-07 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

> Actually, after re-reading the old exchange more carefully, it seems
> that I already had (require 'ox-org) in my startup file, but
> still got the error. However, manually loading the ox-org library
> avoided the error.
>
> So it seems that:
>
>  1) the cause of the problem was never identified,
>  2) manually loading ox-org avoids the problem, and,
>  3) I guess I just haven't been using org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize on
> this machine for a while, so I forgot about it.
>
> Interestingly, this all works with no problems on my other MacBook.

Could you check that it doesn't load an old version of ox-org or similar?
E.g. check that find-library finds the right version.

Also, does the backtrace reveal anything useful?

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
When in doubt, do it!

* Re: org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize can't find back-end
@ 2016-04-07 22:38   ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-04-07 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 4/7/16 5:23 PM, Rasmus wrote:
> Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:
>
>> Actually, after re-reading the old exchange more carefully, it seems
>> that I already had (require 'ox-org) in my startup file, but
>> still got the error. However, manually loading the ox-org library
>> avoided the error.
>>
>> So it seems that:
>>
>>   1) the cause of the problem was never identified,
>>   2) manually loading ox-org avoids the problem, and,
>>   3) I guess I just haven't been using org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize on
>> this machine for a while, so I forgot about it.
>>
>> Interestingly, this all works with no problems on my other MacBook.
> Could you check that it doesn't load an old version of ox-org or similar?
> E.g. check that find-library finds the right version.
>
> Also, does the backtrace reveal anything useful?
I'll try to check when I get a chance.

Thanks,
-pd

--