emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* declaring items as implicit TODO entries
@ 2010-04-25 22:10 Nick
From: Nick @ 2010-04-25 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I have an .org file I currently use as a TODO list.  Everything below a certain
level (currently 3) is a TODO item (of some sort).

Is there a way to tell org-mode to assume any item below this level is by
default a TODO item, such that the agenda view displays all of them which aren't
explicitly marked as DONE?

* Re: declaring items as implicit TODO entries
@ 2010-04-26  4:39 ` Manish Sharma
From: Manish Sharma @ 2010-04-26  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have an .org file I currently use as a TODO list.  Everything
> below a certain level (currently 3) is a TODO item (of some
> sort).
>
> Is there a way to tell org-mode to assume any item below this
> level is by default a TODO item, such that the agenda view
> displays all of them which aren't explicitly marked as DONE?

"C-c a t" should show all the TODO items.  You may also want to
take a look at "org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines",
"org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled" and
"org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date" as well.

HTH
--
Manish

* Re: declaring items as implicit TODO entries
@ 2010-04-26  4:42 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-26  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nick,

On Apr 26, 2010, at 12:10 AM, Nick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an .org file I currently use as a TODO list.  Everything
> below a certain
> level (currently 3) is a TODO item (of some sort).
>
> Is there a way to tell org-mode to assume any item below this level
> is by
> default a TODO item, such that the agenda view displays all of them
> which aren't
> explicitly marked as DONE?

you cannot tell Org to treat any such items as TODO items
in the full sense of a TODO item with a keyword.
But you can define an agenda search which finds such items:

C-c a m LEVEL>2/-DONE RET

HTH

- Carsten

@ 2010-04-26  8:01   ` Nick
From: Nick @ 2010-04-26  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Manish Sharma wrote:
> "C-c a t" should show all the TODO items.  You may also want to
> take a look at "org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines",
> "org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled" and
> "org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date" as well.

Thanks for your answer - however, I did come across those, and I don't believe
they would do the job I have in mind, because items must still be explicitly
labelled "TODO" before they will appear in the agenda view.

What I mean is, give a file structure like this, where level 1 is a project
name, and level 2 contain items to do (which are not labelled TODO items,
necessarily):

* SS Organised
** scrub the deck
** man the poopdeck
** DONE splice the mainbrace

* Good ship lollipop
** NEXT lubber's teeth out
(Beware, she bites)
** fix treadmill
** scrub the deck

The workflow is TODO -> NEXT -> DONE, with TODO implicit: I consider "scrub the
deck" a TODO, even though I've not added a TODO label, because it's on level >=
2. This saves typing and reduces clutter. (The level at which TODO items lie
varies depending on my organisation scheme.)

Then I want the TODO agenda view to look something like this, so I can print it
out for reference (ideally without the duplicate TODO inserted in front of each
item, as currently seems to happen,  but that's probably another question):

Global list of TODO items of type: ALL
Available with `N r': (0)ALL (1)TODO (2)NEXT (3)DONE
  TODO:       scrub the deck
  TODO:       man the poopdeck
  NEXT:       lubber's teeth out
  TODO:       fix treadmill
  TODO:       scrub the deck

It might not be possible to do this currently, which is fine - I just want to
confirm that fact.  Perhaps in that case I could write my own extension, or more
preferably, adapt my scheme to something which works with org-mode as it is.

Cheers,

* Re: Re: declaring items as implicit TODO entries
@ 2010-04-26 15:57     ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2010-04-26 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick; +Cc: emacs-orgmode