emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Installation for novice
@ 2007-04-28 10:02 Jon Craft
From: Jon Craft @ 2007-04-28 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm attempting to install, following the instructions.
I have Xemacs and am on a Windows XP computer.

I am not sure what directories to put in the makefile,
since I don't know which ones refer to the location of
the org files an which refer to the location of the
Xemacs files.

Second, I have no idea what to do with the instructions
to 'make' a file.  I know I can't do this at a dos
prompt. So, how do I install on Windows with Xemacs?

Thanks for the help.

Jon

* Re: Installation for novice
@ 2007-05-08  6:49 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-05-08  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Craft; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Is there really no-one besides me who can answer this question?

- Carsten

On Apr 28, 2007, at 12:02, Jon Craft wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to install, following the instructions.
> I have Xemacs and am on a Windows XP computer.
>
> I am not sure what directories to put in the makefile,
> since I don't know which ones refer to the location of
> the org files an which refer to the location of the
> Xemacs files.
>
> Second, I have no idea what to do with the instructions
> to 'make' a file.  I know I can't do this at a dos
> prompt. So, how do I install on Windows with Xemacs?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Jon

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Installation for novice
@ 2007-05-08  7:58   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-08  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

----- Carsten Dominik (2007-05-08) wrote:-----

> Is there really no-one besides me who can answer this question?
>
> - Carsten

Maybe because none of the users use XP.

> On Apr 28, 2007, at 12:02, Jon Craft wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm attempting to install, following the instructions.
>> I have Xemacs and am on a Windows XP computer.
>>
>> I am not sure what directories to put in the makefile,
>> since I don't know which ones refer to the location of
>> the org files an which refer to the location of the
>> Xemacs files.
>>
>> Second, I have no idea what to do with the instructions
>> to 'make' a file.  I know I can't do this at a dos
>> prompt. So, how do I install on Windows with Xemacs?
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> Jon

1. unzip your org-4.73.zip
2. Put the following line in your .emacs:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/pathto/org-4.73")

3. Start emacs to use it.

* Re: Installation for novice
@ 2007-05-08  8:06 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-05-08  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

----- Jon Craft (2007-04-28) wrote:-----

> Second, I have no idea what to do with the instructions to 'make' a
> file.  I know I can't do this at a dos prompt. So, how do I install on
> Windows with Xemacs?

It requires GNU 'make'¹. However you can still compile .el by using `M-x
byte-compile-file' in Emacs.

Footnotes:
¹  http://www.gnu.org/software/make/