emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Org-get-property-block can’t handle preceding drawers
@ 2018-01-31 20:01 Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2018-01-31 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

I’m doing some restructuring of my Org files and I’m getting a lot
of claims that I have malformed drawers.  Some of these files are
quite old, so at first this seemed like a reasonable problem, but
when I looked closer everything looked fine.  The problem was that
I had :LOGBOOK: drawers before quite a few of my :PROPERTY:
drawers and apparently org-get-property-block is /completely/
unaware of this possibility.  At first I figured that the rules
had changed and that the :PROPERTY: drawer must come first, but
then I tried it out and Org would gladly create a new :LOGBOOK:
drawer for an entry that already had a :PROPERTY: drawer and place
the :LOGBOOK: drawer first.

Now, what’s worse is that the whole “you have a malformed drawers,
should I fix it?” functionality in org-buffer-property-keys will
not actually move the :PROPERTY: drawer to the location that it
expects, it simply creates an empty :PROPERTY: drawer instead and
leaves the “misplaced” one where it was.

What’s going on here?

  Nikolai

* Re: Org-get-property-block can’t handle preceding drawers
@ 2018-01-31 20:12 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-01-31 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolai Weibull; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Nikolai Weibull <now@disu.se> writes:

> At first I figured that the rules had changed and that
> the :PROPERTY: drawer must come first

That's correct.

> but then I tried it out and Org would gladly create a new :LOGBOOK:
> drawer for an entry that already had a :PROPERTY: drawer and place
> the :LOGBOOK: drawer first.

That is a bug. I don't expect anything like this to happen in a recent
Org.

> Now, what’s worse is that the whole “you have a malformed drawers,
> should I fix it?” functionality in org-buffer-property-keys will not
> actually move the :PROPERTY: drawer to the location that it expects,
> it simply creates an empty :PROPERTY: drawer instead and leaves the
> “misplaced” one where it was.

In ORG-NEWS, you will file a function that repairs your documents.
I removed "You have a malformed drawer" question a while ago from the
code base.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Org-get-property-block can’t handle preceding drawers
@ 2018-01-31 20:52   ` Nikolai Weibull
From: Nikolai Weibull @ 2018-01-31 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou, 2018-01-31 20:12:

> Nikolai Weibull <now@disu.se> writes:
>
>> At first I figured that the rules had changed and that the
>> :PROPERTY: drawer must come first
>
> That's correct.
>
>> but then I tried it out and Org would gladly create a new
>> :LOGBOOK: drawer for an entry that already had a :PROPERTY:
>> drawer and place the :LOGBOOK: drawer first.
>
> That is a bug. I don't expect anything like this to happen in a
> recent Org.

I’m running 9.1.5 (20171225) and it happened, but I must have made
a mistake in my testing, because now it works.

Sorry about the noise, everything’s fine.

Best regards,
  Nikolai