emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* How to upgrade to make beamer export work
@ 2018-09-24  7:49 jiewuza
From: jiewuza @ 2018-09-24  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I used orgmode to prepare my lecture materials.
Now I upgrade org to the latest version, and read the [[new
exporter][https://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/ox-overview.html]].

It seems the configure is much easier.
But I cannot get my lectures right after all my efforts.

So I start all over. I removed all my beamer configure.
With the [[beamer
example][https://orgmode.org/manual/A-Beamer-example.html]], I get a pdf
(see attachment) like a latex article, no beamer frame.

Is this normal?

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: How to upgrade to make beamer export work
@ 2018-09-24  9:09 ` Robert Klein
From: Robert Klein @ 2018-09-24  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: jiewuza

Hi,

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:49:28 +0800
jiewuza <jiewuza@163.com> wrote:

> I used orgmode to prepare my lecture materials.
> Now I upgrade org to the latest version, and read the [[new
> exporter][https://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/ox-overview.html]].
>
> It seems the configure is much easier.
> But I cannot get my lectures right after all my efforts.
>
> So I start all over. I removed all my beamer configure.
> With the [[beamer
> example][https://orgmode.org/manual/A-Beamer-example.html]], I get a
> pdf (see attachment) like a latex article, no beamer frame.
>
> Is this normal?

your example does seem to have Beamer frames.

Do you have a complete minimal setup which doesn't work with the new
version (.org-file, .emacs, both only having enough content to show the
issue)?

I your “latest” version the zip files downloaded from the home page, or
maint or master from git?

Best regards
Robert

* Re: How to upgrade to make beamer export work
@ 2018-09-24  9:23 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-09-24  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jiewuza; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Monday, 24 Sep 2018 at 15:49, jiewuza wrote:
> I used orgmode to prepare my lecture materials.
> Now I upgrade org to the latest version, and read the [[new
> exporter][https://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/ox-overview.html]].
>
> It seems the configure is much easier.
> But I cannot get my lectures right after all my efforts.
>
> So I start all over. I removed all my beamer configure.
> With the [[beamer
> example][https://orgmode.org/manual/A-Beamer-example.html]], I get a pdf
> (see attachment) like a latex article, no beamer frame.

How did you export?  You should choose the beamer options, as in

    C-c C-e l P

to create PDF using beamer.  Note upper case P.  If you want to open the file as well, use O instead of P (again upper case).  Lower case equivalents are for normal LaTeX article class (by default).

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.11-620-ga548e4

* Re: How to upgrade to make beamer export work
@ 2018-09-24  9:40   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-09-24  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Klein; +Cc: jiewuza, emacs-orgmode

On Monday, 24 Sep 2018 at 11:09, Robert Klein wrote:
> your example does seem to have Beamer frames.

You're right; I missed that.  It looks then that the wrong levels are being used to define frames.

For the OP: check the value of the H option, as in

where 1 would indicate top level headings define frames.
See section 12.8.3 of the info manual.

--

@ 2018-09-25  2:51   ` jiewuza
From: jiewuza @ 2018-09-25  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Yes, that is exactly what I did.

@ 2018-09-25  2:56   ` jiewuza
From: jiewuza @ 2018-09-25  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I was using spacemacs, and I updated orgmode (9.1.14) yesterday.
I have no beamer-related config except:
```
  (require 'ox-beamer)
  (setq org-latex-pdf-process '("latexmk -xelatex -outdir=%o %f"))
  (add-to-list 'org-export-backends 'beamer)
```

I checked the `tex` output of the example, there is just `section`, no `frame`.
```
% Intended LaTeX compiler: pdflatex
\documentclass[presentation]{beamer}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{grffile}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage{rotating}
\usepackage[normalem]{ulem}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{capt-of}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\author{Carsten Dominik}
\date{\today}
\title{Example Presentation}
\hypersetup{
 pdfauthor={Carsten Dominik},
 pdftitle={Example Presentation},
 pdfkeywords={},
 pdfsubject={},
 pdfcreator={Emacs 26.1 (Org mode 9.1.14)},
 pdflang={English}}
\begin{document}

\maketitle
\tableofcontents

\section{This is the first structural section}
\label{sec:org51b2252}

\subsection{Frame 1}
\label{sec:org7fda852}
\begin{enumerate}
\item Thanks to Eric Fraga\hfill{}\textsc{B\_block}
\label{sec:org6c0dd90}
for the first viable Beamer setup in Org
\item Thanks to everyone else\hfill{}\textsc{B\_block}
\label{sec:org166f1b4}
for contributing to the discussion
\begin{enumerate}
\item This will be formatted as a beamer note\hfill{}\textsc{B\_note}
\label{sec:org1056b8c}
\end{enumerate}
\end{enumerate}
\subsection{Frame 2 (where we will not use columns)}
\label{sec:org4503c82}
\begin{enumerate}
\item Request
\label{sec:org8233ad6}
Please test this stuff!
\end{enumerate}
\end{document}
```

@ 2018-09-25  3:01   ` jiewuza
From: jiewuza @ 2018-09-25  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

OMG, it is my fault.
I used `C-c C-e l p`
My screen is too small.
I just saw the the `p` key.
And I thought maybe beamer and latex share the same key now in the new
orgmode exporter. LOL

@ 2018-09-25  3:16     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2018-09-25  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jiewuza; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 10:02 PM jiewuza <jiewuza@163.com> wrote:

> OMG, it is my fault.
> I used `C-c C-e l p`
> My screen is too small.
> I just saw the the `p` key.
> And I thought maybe beamer and latex share the same key now in the new
> orgmode exporter. LOL

We've all been there, but I wouldn't call it a LOL. People took time
to speculate on what the issue might be, and to try to help you. Eric
specifically mentioned the upper case P and you said "Yes, that is
exactly what I did." Now you are saying you thought they might share
the same key and pressed 'p' after all.

I had just created a minimal config and tested the export myself when
this email came through. What I *would* have said was "People can't
troubleshoot what they can't see." The list gets all kinds of weird,
odd issues (including from me, and including goofs just like this).
The tried and true practice is a minimal configuration and a test file
of some sort. Pasting what you *think* is the only beamer related
config (on the heels of citing spacemacs, which could have all sorts
of stuff potentially conflicting options) doesn't count, as we can't
see for sure what is going on. Minimal config, run `emacs -Q`, then
`M-x load-file RET path/to/min-config`, then try your stuff.

Follow that practice and I assure you, the extra work on your part
will drastically cut down on the back and forth with the list,
resulting in getting to the real work/fun much faster!
- https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html

Glad it worked out,
John

@ 2018-09-26 10:44       ` jiewuza
From: jiewuza @ 2018-09-26 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Yes, you are right.
It is my fault.
I am sorry for that.

And thank you for your instruction of minimal config
practice. I should and will follow it.