emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* students, classes, assignments...
@ 2015-09-01  1:03 scrawler
From: scrawler @ 2015-09-01  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode list

Hey guys,

What's an efficient way to keep track of students, classes, and assignments?
I'm using org now, but I don't want to admit how badly I'm abusing it to make my *cough* system work.

How about something like this: a file per student with Classwork, Homework, and Assessment headings, maybe checkboxes to indicate completion; A date-tree in a file with the Homework and due dates--something along those lines.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I know a bunch of you are teachers...

--
signature drinking: "glugluglug"
:-)

* Re: students, classes, assignments...
@ 2015-09-01 10:13 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-09-01 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: scrawler; +Cc: orgmode list

It depends a lot on what you want to be able to do. Do you need reports
of what is completed? aggregated grades, etc...

Here is what I do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUCiF2MwP4

Here is a talk I gave last year on using it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsSMs-4GlT8&list=FLQp2VLAOlvq142YN3JO3y8w

scrawler@gmail.com writes:

> Hey guys,
>
> What's an efficient way to keep track of students, classes, and assignments?
> I'm using org now, but I don't want to admit how badly I'm abusing it to make my *cough* system work.
>
> How about something like this: a file per student with Classwork, Homework, and Assessment headings, maybe checkboxes to indicate completion; A date-tree in a file with the Homework and due dates--something along those lines.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated. I know a bunch of you are teachers...

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: students, classes, assignments...
@ 2015-09-01 23:34   ` scrawler
From: scrawler @ 2015-09-01 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode list

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 06:13:00AM -0400, John Kitchin wrote:
> It depends a lot on what you want to be able to do. Do you need reports
> of what is completed? aggregated grades, etc...
>
> Here is what I do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUCiF2MwP4
>
> Here is a talk I gave last year on using it.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsSMs-4GlT8&list=FLQp2VLAOlvq142YN3JO3y8w

Thanks for the links. Reports would be great, aggregated grades not so
much (at least not for the moment). A couple questions: are the buffer
settings (#+ASSIGNMENT, #+POINTS, #+DUEDATE, #+RUBRIC) of your own
creation? This is just the kind of thing I'm looking for, but on a
much less ambitious scale. This student took this test and earned this
score on this day. But is this student in this subject or that
subject? Which period? I was thinking about making a file per student,
puting the particulars in a properties drawer, and linking to an
assignments file. Pretty standard stuff, I think, but I'm working out
how to make it all happen.

* Fred Flinstone
:PROPERTIES:
:Class: Into to Cave Painting
:Period: 2
:Whatever: Blah blah blah
:END:

** Homework [ / ]
*** TODO [[path to assignment or description][This]]
*** TODO [[path to assignment or description][That]]

** Classwork

** Assessment

** Concerns

I'm sorry I'm not being more clear--I'm feeling like an idiot at the
moment. I think I'll start with a file for each student like Fred's
and go from there.

* Re: students, classes, assignments...
@ 2015-09-02  0:48     ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-09-02  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: scrawler; +Cc: orgmode list

scrawler@gmail.com writes:

> On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 06:13:00AM -0400, John Kitchin wrote:
>> It depends a lot on what you want to be able to do. Do you need reports
>> of what is completed? aggregated grades, etc...
>>
>> Here is what I do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUCiF2MwP4
>>
>> Here is a talk I gave last year on using it.
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsSMs-4GlT8&list=FLQp2VLAOlvq142YN3JO3y8w
>
> Thanks for the links. Reports would be great, aggregated grades not so
> much (at least not for the moment). A couple questions: are the buffer
> settings (#+ASSIGNMENT, #+POINTS, #+DUEDATE, #+RUBRIC) of your own

These are filetags I created for the application. They make it easy to
pull data from the files. the function to get a filetag is here:
https://github.com/jkitchin/jmax/blob/master/techela/techela-grade.el#L204
and to set a filetag is right above it.

> creation? This is just the kind of thing I'm looking for, but on a
> much less ambitious scale. This student took this test and earned this
> score on this day. But is this student in this subject or that
> subject? Which period? I was thinking about making a file per student,
> puting the particulars in a properties drawer, and linking to an
> assignments file. Pretty standard stuff, I think, but I'm working out
> how to make it all happen.
>
> * Fred Flinstone
> :PROPERTIES:
> :Class: Into to Cave Painting
> :Period: 2
> :Whatever: Blah blah blah
> :END:
>
> ** Homework [ / ]
> *** TODO [[path to assignment or description][This]]
> *** TODO [[path to assignment or description][That]]
>
> ** Classwork
>
> ** Assessment
>
> ** Concerns
>
> I'm sorry I'm not being more clear--I'm feeling like an idiot at the
> moment. I think I'll start with a file for each student like Fred's
> and go from there.
It is the only way to learn ;)