emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Shift keys when you have multiple todo sets in one file
@ 2009-12-17  5:37 Mueen Nawaz
From: Mueen Nawaz @ 2009-12-17  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

 From the docs:

"S-<<left>> and S-<<right>> and walk through all keywords from all sets"

What I would /really/ like is for S-<<left>> and S-<<right>> to _stay_
within the same set, with me using C-S-<<left>>  (or right) to _switch_
to another set.

What I have (so far) on the top of the file is:

#+TODO: TODO | DONE
#+TODO: WAITING | DONE

	The reason I kept it as separate sets is that I anticipate WAITING to
be infrequent compared to TODO. So I don't want to put TODO and WAITING
in the same set. I think there's another (more standard) way of setting
the TODO state (I forget the shortcut), but for me the S-Left/Right is
really, really convenient.

	And incidentally, the S-Left/Right doesn't seem to do as advertised. It
jumps from one set to the other only once (haven't tested with 3 sets).

Mueen

* Re: Shift keys when you have multiple todo sets in one file
@ 2009-12-17 11:53 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-12-17 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mueen Nawaz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Mueen Nawaz <mueen@nawaz.org> writes:

> From the docs:
>
> "S-<<left>> and S-<<right>> and walk through all keywords from all sets"
>
> What I would /really/ like is for S-<<left>> and S-<<right>> to _stay_
> within the same set, with me using C-S-<<left>>  (or right) to
> _switch_ to another set.
>
> What I have (so far) on the top of the file is:
>
> #+TODO: TODO | DONE
> #+TODO: WAITING | DONE
>
> 	The reason I kept it as separate sets is that I anticipate
> WAITING to be infrequent compared to TODO. So I don't want to put TODO
> and WAITING in the same set. I think there's another (more standard)
> way of setting the TODO state (I forget the shortcut), but for me the
> S-Left/Right is really, really convenient.

I understand that you prefer S-left/right. However, I believe cycling
with C-c C-t will stay within the same set.

(I proofread that keybinding couple of times.) :)

As an aside, I've found that it's very fast to use the new speed
commands to change todo states. If org-use-speed-commands is turned on,
all one needs to do is hit "t" at the start of a headline.

> 	And incidentally, the S-Left/Right doesn't seem to do as
> advertised. It jumps from one set to the other only once (haven't
> tested with 3 sets).

I believe the presence of duplicate DONEs above is interfering with the
cycling from state to state. If I get rid of the second DONE or change
it to a different state, the cycling from set to set works as expected,
TODO --> DONE --> WAITING --> nil --> TODO. E.g.

#+TODO: TODO | DONE
#+TODO: WAITING

Best,
Matt

* Re: Shift keys when you have multiple todo sets in one file
@ 2009-12-19  4:43   ` Mueen Nawaz
From: Mueen Nawaz @ 2009-12-19  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/17/09 05:53, Matt Lundin wrote:
>> 	The reason I kept it as separate sets is that I anticipate
>> WAITING to be infrequent compared to TODO. So I don't want to put TODO
>> and WAITING in the same set. I think there's another (more standard)
>> way of setting the TODO state (I forget the shortcut), but for me the
>> S-Left/Right is really, really convenient.
>
> I understand that you prefer S-left/right. However, I believe cycling
> with C-c C-t will stay within the same set.

	Yes, but it's so much easier to use the Shift keys than typing C-c C-t.

> As an aside, I've found that it's very fast to use the new speed
> commands to change todo states. If org-use-speed-commands is turned on,
> all one needs to do is hit "t" at the start of a headline.

	Hmm...I don't seem to have that command. Is this only in the "trunk"
version?

	In any case, while a bit better, speed commands only work at the
beginning of the headline. I often (always, actually) cycle through the
todos while in the middle of the headline.

	It'd be great if what I asked for could be implemented - say, as a
configuration option. It can remain as is by default, but those like
myself can enable the cycling that I like.

	Or, I suppose, I could override the keybindings s.t. Shift L/R map to
whatever C-c C-t map to...

>> 	And incidentally, the S-Left/Right doesn't seem to do as
>> advertised. It jumps from one set to the other only once (haven't
>> tested with 3 sets).
>
> I believe the presence of duplicate DONEs above is interfering with the
> cycling from state to state. If I get rid of the second DONE or change

	That may be it. Is this intentional, or a bug?

Thanks.

* Re: Shift keys when you have multiple todo sets in one file
@ 2009-12-19 12:06     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-12-19 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mueen Nawaz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Mueen Nawaz <mueen@nawaz.org> writes:

>> As an aside, I've found that it's very fast to use the new speed
>> commands to change todo states. If org-use-speed-commands is turned on,
>> all one needs to do is hit "t" at the start of a headline.
>
> 	Hmm...I don't seem to have that command. Is this only in the
> "trunk" version?

This feature was introduced in version 6.33:

http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#sec-1.2.2

Version 6.33f is currently available as tar download from the org-mode
website:

http://orgmode.org/org-6.33f.tar.gz

Best,
Matt

* Re: Shift keys when you have multiple todo sets in one file
@ 2009-12-19 16:27       ` Mueen Nawaz
From: Mueen Nawaz @ 2009-12-19 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/19/09 06:06, Matt Lundin wrote:
> Mueen Nawaz<mueen@nawaz.org>  writes:
>
>>> As an aside, I've found that it's very fast to use the new speed
>>> commands to change todo states. If org-use-speed-commands is turned on,
>>> all one needs to do is hit "t" at the start of a headline.
>> 	Hmm...I don't seem to have that command. Is this only in the
>> "trunk" version?
>
> This feature was introduced in version 6.33:

	Which is what I'm using (6.33f). At least that's what org-version tells me.

* Re: Shift keys when you have multiple todo sets in one file
@ 2009-12-19 18:57         ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-12-19 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mueen Nawaz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Mueen Nawaz <mueen@nawaz.org> writes:

>>> 	Hmm...I don't seem to have that command. Is this only in the
>>> "trunk" version?
>>
>> This feature was introduced in version 6.33:
>
> 	Which is what I'm using (6.33f). At least that's what org-version tells me.

Have you set the variable org-use-speed-commands to t?

- Matt