emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* orgmode and R?
@ 2015-08-03 16:51 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2015-08-03 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Can the orgmode spreadsheet access R either directly or indirectly through
maybe babel?  If this is possible, do any tutorials exist with some worked
examples?  I have R and emacs-R-mode installed so I can access R from
emacs at least.

* Re: orgmode and R?
@ 2015-08-03 17:58 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-08-03 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I don't know much about R, but here is a hack to do somthing like this
with python. I have not tested it beyond what you see here.

You can use emacs lisp in an org-mode spreadsheet as a formula. We will hack that to let us use Python. We will do that by making a lisp function that evaluates a python string and returns the results.

| x | y |    |
|---+---+----|
| 1 | 2 |  3 |
| 2 | 4 |  6 |
| 3 | 6 | 18 |
|---+---+----|
|   |   |    |
#+TBLFM: @2$3=@2$1 + @2$2
#+TBLFM: @3$3='(+ @3$1 @3$2);N
#+TBLFM: @4$3='(python "@4$1 * @4$2");N

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun python (string)
  "Send string to a python interpreter and return result."
  (python-shell-send-string-no-output
    string
    (or (python-shell-get-process)
        (run-python))))
#+END_SRC

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: orgmode and R?
@ 2015-08-03 19:47 ` Allen S. Rout
From: Allen S. Rout @ 2015-08-03 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 08/03/2015 12:51 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Can the orgmode spreadsheet access R either directly or indirectly through
> maybe babel?  If this is possible, do any tutorials exist with some worked
> examples?  I have R and emacs-R-mode installed so I can access R from
> emacs at least.

Yes.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-R.html

is the first hit on "org-mode R" from google.

There is extensive art on the topic.

- Allen S. Rout

* Re: orgmode and R?
@ 2015-08-03 20:05   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-08-03 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allen S. Rout; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I think the question was about using R in table formulas, not just using
R in src-block.

As far as I know it is possible to use emacs-lisp pretty directly, but
not other languages in the table formulas.

--

@ 2015-08-03 20:08     ` Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2015-08-03 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'John Kitchin', Allen S. Rout; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

It is possible to send a org table to R as a data.frame, which could edit it, add columns, and produce a new data.frame which, with :results value, will be understood by org as an table.

@ 2015-08-03 20:29       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2015-08-03 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Malcolm
  Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Allen S. Rout, 'John Kitchin'