emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org latex/beamer math escape in a ``surrounding context'': $a$'s
@ 2015-12-04 19:18 Martin Steffen
From: Martin Steffen @ 2015-12-04 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, I'd to have some math in beamer/latex. In LaTeX I'd write

               $a$'s

The a is the math, the apostroph-s is the surrounding text. Math-escape
works fine in org, but it seems the $ -- $ must be surrounded by blanks.
In the above example, exporting to latex/beamer does not give the desired
result. The immediately trailing "'s" get the $-signs interpreted
verbatimely. Same applies for other surrounding contexts like

   ``$a$''  $a$s

but ($a$) and "$a$" do a math-escape. Is there a solution for the above (I
don't want to write  $a$ 's)? Or is there a rationale behind that, so I know
when to except an escape and when no?

Martin

* Re: org latex/beamer math escape in a ``surrounding context'': $a$'s
@ 2015-12-04 19:41 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2015-12-04 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Steffen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Martin Steffen <msteffen@ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> Hi, I'd to have some math in beamer/latex. In LaTeX I'd write
>
>                $a$'s
>
> The a is the math, the apostroph-s is the surrounding text. Math-escape
> works fine in org, but it seems the $ -- $ must be surrounded by blanks.
> In the above example, exporting to latex/beamer does not give the desired
> result. The immediately trailing "'s" get the $-signs interpreted
> verbatimely. Same applies for other surrounding contexts like
>
>    ``$a$''  $a$s
>
> but ($a$) and "$a$" do a math-escape. Is there a solution for the above (I
> don't want to write  $a$ 's)? Or is there a rationale behind that, so I know
> when to except an escape and when no?

Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but I've inquired about various
things like this before and due to issues with various things I've
opted primarily to just do \(math\). So:

\(a\)s

Does that work for you?

John

@ 2015-12-04 19:44 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-12-04 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Steffen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

does \(a\)'s work?

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: org latex/beamer math escape in a ``surrounding context'': $a$'s
@ 2015-12-04 20:16   ` Martin Steffen
From: Martin Steffen @ 2015-12-04 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    John> \(a\)s

    John> Does that work for you?

yes, great (I was not aware that this is an alternative to the
dollar-dollar math, I only knew \[ )

Martin