emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* MWE for BibLaTex and org-ref?
@ 2017-07-12 13:59 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2017-07-12 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Does org-ref work with BibLaTeX?

With org-ref, I have an MWE using natbib that works:

  #+LATEX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [a4paper, 11pt]
  #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{natbib}

  #+TITLE: MWE

  * Introduction

    This MWE was found on the internet (see cite:Botha).

  bibliographystyle:abbrvnat
  bibliography:file.bib

with 'file.bib' being

  @Online{Botha,
    author = {Charl Botha},
     title = {From org file with local bibtex to LaTeX and PDF},
      date = {2017-02-20},
       url = {https://vxlabs.com/2017/02/20/from-org-file-with-local-bibtex-to-latex-and-pdf/},
  }

For org-latex-pdf-process,  I'm using the following:

  ("latexmk -g -pdf -pdflatex=\"%latex\" -shell-escape -outdir=%o %f")

However, if I try to replace natbib by BibLaTeX via

  #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{biblatex}
  #+LATEX_HEADER: \addbibresource{file.bib}

  bibliographystyle:alphabetic
  bibliography:file.bib

I get errors about the style being invalid and the \bibliography only
being allowed in the preamble.

So if it should work, does anyone have a MWE for org-ref with BibLaTeX?

Cheers,

Loris

* Re: MWE for BibLaTex and org-ref?
@ 2017-07-12 17:55 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2017-07-12 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

org-ref should work fine for biblatex, but the setup for biblatex in the
org file is a bit different than for bibtex.

The org-ref manual can be opened by running M-x org-ref-help. Go to the **
biblatex users heading. Hopefully that is clear enough to help. If not, let
me know what is missing.

Best wishes,

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2017-07-13  6:27   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2017-07-13  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

Thanks for the pointer.  I think some of the errors I was getting were
due having old temporary files (aux, bcf, ...) lying around and then
switching between natbib and biblatex.

Following the org-ref manual I now have

  #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[citestyle=authoryear-icomp,bibstyle=authoryear, hyperref=true,backref=true,maxcitenames=3,url=true,backend=biber,natbib=true] {biblatex}

and then use

  bibliographystyle:authoryear

I'm now just getting the following error:

  ! Package biblatex Error: '\bibliographystyle' invalid.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,

Loris

Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de

* Re: MWE for BibLaTex and org-ref?
@ 2017-07-13  8:34     ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2017-07-13  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

Look here:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/5091/what-to-do-to-switch-to-biblatex

In short \bibliographystyle and biblatex don't match.

Hope that helps

Detlef

Am Thu, 13 Jul 2017 08:27:17 +0200
schrieb "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de>:

> [...]
> >  date = {2017-02-20},
> >  url =
> > {https://vxlabs.com/2017/02/20/from-org-file-with-local-bibtex-to-latex-and-pdf/}, }
> >
> >  For org-latex-pdf-process, I'm using the following:
> >
> >  ("latexmk -g -pdf -pdflatex=\"%latex\" -shell-escape -outdir=%o
> > %f")
> >
> >  However, if I try to replace natbib by BibLaTeX via
> >
> >  #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{biblatex}
> >  #+LATEX_HEADER: \addbibresource{file.bib}
> >
> >  bibliographystyle:alphabetic
> >  bibliography:file.bib
> >
> >  I get errors about the style being invalid and the \bibliography
> > only being allowed in the preamble.
> >
> >  So if it should work, does anyone have a MWE for org-ref with
> > BibLaTeX?
> >
> >  Cheers,
> >
> >  Loris
> >
> >  --
> >  This signature is currently under construction.

"Wisely and slow. Those stumble that run fast."
Shakespeare -- Romeo and Juliet

Dr. Detlef Steuer
Helmut-Schmidt-Universität
Fakultät WiSo
Holstenhofweg 85
22043 Hamburg

Tel:  040/6541-2819
mail: steuer@hsu-hh.de

* Re: MWE for BibLaTex and org-ref?
@ 2017-07-13  9:01       ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2017-07-13  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Detlef,

Thanks for the information.  After removing the bibliography and
bibliographystyle, everything seems to work.  I think I was confused by
the following line from the org-ref manual:

  For LaTeX export a bibliography and bibliographystyle link is /required/.

Are they only required if I am *not* using biblatex, or, if I *am* using
biblatex, are some org-ref goodies not going to work if I don't have
them?

Cheers,

Loris

@ 2017-07-17 14:52         ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2017-07-17 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I added some clarification to the manual on that point. Thanks for
pointing out it was a confusing!

best wishes,