emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [org-mac-protocol] How to actually set it up and use it?
@ 2009-12-11 18:47 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-12-11 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hello list,

I just moved to a MacBook, couldn't be happier and mainly because the last
version of emacs compiles flawlessly and works like a charm. It's even as
beatiful as other OSX apps. Great.

I've been looking through Worg and found about the org-mac-protocol, and the
idea of inputting stuff to my files through Quicksilver really turned me on
:) Kudos to the developer !

Anyway, the docs are kind of scarce and too technical. While I could install
and (I think) set it up in emacs, I can't find the way to actually use it.
It just says there are some scripts vailable (apple scripts), but where do I
trigger them, for example, how could I trigger them through Quicksilver ?

Thanks in advance,

Marcelo.

* Re: [org-mac-protocol] How to actually set it up and use it?
@ 2009-12-11 22:34 ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-12-11 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:47:16 -0600, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just moved to a MacBook, couldn't be happier and mainly because the last
> version of emacs compiles flawlessly and works like a charm. It's even as
> beatiful as other OSX apps. Great.
>
> I've been looking through Worg and found about the org-mac-protocol, and the
> idea of inputting stuff to my files through Quicksilver really turned me on
> :) Kudos to the developer !
>
> Anyway, the docs are kind of scarce and too technical. While I could install
> and (I think) set it up in emacs, I can't find the way to actually use it.
> It just says there are some scripts vailable (apple scripts), but where do I
> trigger them, for example, how could I trigger them through Quicksilver ?

If you can hold fire for about a week, I've got half an update ready;
but I've been horribly busy for the last few months so it kind of got
stuck. I should finally have a bit of time from Thursday.

Meanwhile, ensure that Quicksilver is cataloguing your ~/Library/Scripts
directory (I think it does this by default, but you can check the
catalogue pane in the Quicksilver preferences). Have the document you
wish to link to as the front document, call Quicksilver, type the name
of the org-mac-protocol script in the first pane (org-link,
org-remember, org-note), the second pane should show `run', so just hit
return and org-mac-protocol will do its stuff.

I'll improve the docs when I finish the update.

If you're new to Quicksilver you should have a look at the tutorials at
the bottom of the wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicksilver_(software)

Best, Christopher

* Re: [org-mac-protocol] How to actually set it up and use it?
@ 2009-12-12 18:56   ` Ron Parker
From: Ron Parker @ 2009-12-12 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Org Mode

After reading this message I downloaded org-mac-protocol and installed
it.  The scripts work for me if I open them in Script Editor and run
them, but they do not work from the scripts menu nor from Quicksilver.

* Re: [org-mac-protocol] How to actually set it up and use it?
@ 2009-12-13  0:37     ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-12-13  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Parker; +Cc: Org Mode

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:56:00 -0600, Ron Parker <rdp@inthefaith.net> wrote:

> After reading this message I downloaded org-mac-protocol and installed
> it.  The scripts work for me if I open them in Script Editor and run
> them, but they do not work from the scripts menu nor from Quicksilver.

Weird. Of course, if run from Script Editor, then the top application
will always be Script Editor, so the link will always be to Script
Editor.

It may be that via QS you're linking to something that contains a single
or double quote. Then the scripts bork. But I've just finally fixed it
and pushed to github along with improved and added support for Snow
Leopard, Skim, Bibdesk and iTunes.

I'll be doing a proper release at the end of the week (Thursday or
Friday), but if the current github doesn't work for you, then send me a
few more details and I'll see what I can do.

Best, Christopher

* Re: [org-mac-protocol] How to actually set it up and use it?
@ 2009-12-13 14:48     ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-12-13 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Parker; +Cc: Org Mode

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:56:00 -0600, Ron Parker <rdp@inthefaith.net> wrote:

> After reading this message I downloaded org-mac-protocol and installed
> it.  The scripts work for me if I open them in Script Editor and run
> them, but they do not work from the scripts menu nor from Quicksilver.

Second thought:

If you got the scripts from github, they're not compiled.

Load them up in Script Editor and save them with file format 'Script'.

(Applescripts are by default saved as binaries which are less than
convenient for versioning with git)

Best, Christopher

* Re: [org-mac-protocol] How to actually set it up and use it?
@ 2009-12-15 19:58       ` Ron Parker
From: Ron Parker @ 2009-12-15 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

On Dec 13, 2009, at 8:48 AM, Christopher Suckling wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:56:00 -0600, Ron Parker <rdp@inthefaith.net>
> wrote:
>
>> After reading this message I downloaded org-mac-protocol and
>> installed
>> it.  The scripts work for me if I open them in Script Editor and run
>> them, but they do not work from the scripts menu nor from
>> Quicksilver.
>
> If you got the scripts from github, they're not compiled.

I'd already compiled them.

I'm closer.  Calling (org-load-modules-maybe) after doing (add-to-list
'org-modules 'org-mac-protocol) seems to have the items on the script
menu working.  But, calling them from Quicksilver still fails.

* Re: [org-mac-protocol] How to actually set it up and use it?
@ 2009-12-16 17:42         ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-12-16 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Parker; +Cc: Org Mode

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:58:26 -0600, Ron Parker <rdp@inthefaith.net> wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2009, at 8:48 AM, Christopher Suckling wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:56:00 -0600, Ron Parker <rdp@inthefaith.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> After reading this message I downloaded org-mac-protocol and
>>> installed
>>> it.  The scripts work for me if I open them in Script Editor and run
>>> them, but they do not work from the scripts menu nor from
>>> Quicksilver.
>>

> I'm closer.  Calling (org-load-modules-maybe) after doing (add-to-list
> org-modules 'org-mac-protocol) seems to have the items on the script
> menu working.  But, calling them from Quicksilver still fails.

Curious. This really shouldn't make any difference. All the AppleScripts
do is put together a call to emacsclient; thus if they work launched by
one method, then changing your .emacs shouldn't facilitate another
method.

You could check that the call to emacsclient is being properly
constructed by taking one of the scripts, say org-link, and adding

,----
| display dialog theScript
`----

the line before

,----
| do shell script theScript
`----

But it sounds like something fishy is going on with Quicksilver.

Best, Christopher

* Re: [org-mac-protocol] How to actually set it up and use it?
@ 2009-12-26  3:46           ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-12-26  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Suckling; +Cc: Org Mode