emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [ANN] Add EXPORT_FILE_NAME keyword
@ 2016-12-20 16:17 Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-12-20 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hello,

I just introduced #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME keyword, which allows to change the
output file name upon exporting a document.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738

* Re: [ANN] Add EXPORT_FILE_NAME keyword
@ 2016-12-21  0:25 ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2016-12-21  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicolas

On 12/20/2016 11:17 AM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just introduced #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME keyword, which allows to change the
> output file name upon exporting a document.

Thank you and a couple of questions/observations
1. Exporting to pdf latex -

I used #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: /foo/bar at the beginning of a document -
worked fine.
However, I tried to export a subheading with, e.g.
#+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: /foo/baz,
and
the result is /foo/bar.pdf,     not /foo/baz.pdf

This is not the same result that using the PROPERTIES construct in a
subheading, which will export with the subheading :EXPORT_FILE_NAME:
/foo/baz, which does generate a short document named /foo/baz.pdf

Should we be able to apply the new #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: to a subheading
or does it work only for an entire buffer?

Org mode version 9.0.2 (release_9.0.2-132-gc130b2 @
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/)
GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5) of
2015-03-07 on trouble, modified by Debian

2. An editorial suggestion for the realted ORGNEWS item which currently
reads:

Simiralry to ~:EXPORT_FILE_NAME:~ property, this keyword allow to
specify the name of the output file upon exporting the document. This
has also an effect on publishing.

be changed along the following lines?

Similar to ~:EPORT_FILE_NAME:~ property, this keyword allows the user to
specify the name of the output file upon exporting the document. This
also has an effect on publishing (or "This also effects publishing."

Regards,
Charlie Millar

* Re: [ANN] Add EXPORT_FILE_NAME keyword
@ 2016-12-21  9:32   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-12-21  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Millar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> writes:

> However, I tried to export a subheading with, e.g.
> #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: /foo/baz,
> and
> the result is /foo/bar.pdf,     not /foo/baz.pdf

Where does "bar" come from?

> This is not the same result that using the PROPERTIES construct in
> a subheading, which will export with the subheading :EXPORT_FILE_NAME:
> /foo/baz, which does generate a short document named /foo/baz.pdf
>
> Should we be able to apply the new #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: to a subheading
> or does it work only for an entire buffer?

As every keyword (i.e., #+KEYWORD syntax), it applies to the whole
document. However export properties (i.e., :PROPERTY: syntax) override
them.

> Org mode version 9.0.2 (release_9.0.2-132-gc130b2 @
> /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/)
> GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5) of
> 2015-03-07 on trouble, modified by Debian
>
> 2. An editorial suggestion for the realted ORGNEWS item which
> currently reads:
>
> Simiralry to ~:EXPORT_FILE_NAME:~ property, this keyword allow to
> specify the name of the output file upon exporting the document. This
> has also an effect on publishing.
>
> be changed along the following lines?
>
> Similar to ~:EPORT_FILE_NAME:~ property, this keyword allows the user
> to specify the name of the output file upon exporting the document.
> This also has an effect on publishing (or "This also effects
> publishing."

Of course. Thank you.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [ANN] Add EXPORT_FILE_NAME keyword
@ 2016-12-21 12:11     ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2016-12-21 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi again,

On 12/21/2016 04:32 AM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> writes:
>

>> However, I tried to export a subheading with, e.g.
>> #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: /foo/baz,
>> and
>> the result is /foo/bar.pdf,     not /foo/baz.pdf
> Where does "bar" come from?

I was not clear.  I should have shown -

* this heading
#+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: /foo/bar

** next heading
#+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: /foo/baz

If i C-c C-e C-s l o "next heading" the document in that heading is
exported as /foo/bar.pdf, not /foo/baz.pdf

Best,
Charlie Millar

* Re: [ANN] Add EXPORT_FILE_NAME keyword
@ 2016-12-21 15:43       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-12-21 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Millar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> writes:

> Hi again,
>

> On 12/21/2016 04:32 AM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> writes:
>>

>>> However, I tried to export a subheading with, e.g.
>>> #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: /foo/baz,
>>> and
>>> the result is /foo/bar.pdf,     not /foo/baz.pdf
>> Where does "bar" come from?
>>
> I was not clear.  I should have shown -
>
> * this heading
> #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: /foo/bar
>
> ** next heading
> #+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: /foo/baz
>
> If i C-c C-e C-s l o "next heading" the document in that heading is
> exported as /foo/bar.pdf, not /foo/baz.pdf

This is expected, then. Only one keyword is supported. If you want to
use a different file name per subtree, use the property instead.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [ANN] Add EXPORT_FILE_NAME keyword
@ 2016-12-21 17:30     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2016-12-21 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Charles Millar

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

>> Similar to ~:EPORT_FILE_NAME:~ property, this keyword allows the user
>> to specify the name of the output file upon exporting the document.
>> This also has an effect on publishing (or "This also effects
>> publishing."
>
> Of course. Thank you.

IMO, the alternative wording here changes the meaning.  The equivalent
to "this also has an effect on publishing" would be "this also affects
publishing."

All the best,
Tom

--