emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Multipart/Alternative reply to email?
@ 2016-03-24 13:51 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-03-24 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've used org-mime to send MIME emails that are multipart/alternative with both text and HTML parts. It's great, especially for
including tables, etc.

Is there a way to reply to message with this?

I realize this would require somehow converting the original message to org-mode markup, and that seems very tricky. I just wondered
if anyone had taken a stab at building something like this.

Thanks!
-pd

* Re: Multipart/Alternative reply to email?
@ 2016-03-24 14:08 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-03-24 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 24 Mar 2016 at 09:51, Peter Davis wrote:
> I've used org-mime to send MIME emails that are multipart/alternative
> with both text and HTML parts. It's great, especially for
> including tables, etc.
>
> Is there a way to reply to message with this?

Not sure what you mean.  You can htmlize the reply...  as I've done here (apologies for email purists for the HTML content here ;-).
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.92.1, Org release_8.3.4-668-g809a83

* Re: Multipart/Alternative reply to email?
@ 2016-03-24 14:23   ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-03-24 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Thursday, 24 Mar 2016 at 09:51, Peter Davis wrote:
>> I've used org-mime to send MIME emails that are multipart/alternative
>> with both text and HTML parts. It's great, especially for
>> including tables, etc.
>>
>> Is there a way to reply to message with this?
>
> Not sure what you mean. You can htmlize the reply… as I've done here (apologies for email purists for the HTML content here ;-).
> –

Ah, so you just reply to the text part in Gnus or whatever, but then use org-mime to html-ize that? Cool, though some of the
HTML-ness of the original message may be lost.

@ 2016-03-24 16:19     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-03-24 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 24 Mar 2016 at 10:23, Peter Davis wrote:
> Ah, so you just reply to the text part in Gnus or whatever, but then
> use org-mime to html-ize that? Cool, though some of the
> HTML-ness of the original message may be lost.

Yes.

I must admit that losing some of that structure has never been an issue
for me.  The only reason I ever htmlize an email is because of very
specific requirements in my response... e.g. inline LaTeX equations or
maybe the need to send something with links.

--

@ 2016-03-25 11:37 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2016-03-25 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

> I realize this would require somehow converting the original message
> to org-mode markup, and that seems very tricky. I just wondered
> if anyone had taken a stab at building something like this.

outorg.el works with message-mode too, so I currently write this message
in Org-mode. Not related to org-mime in anyway, maybe not even to your
intention, but nevertheless helpful perhaps. Just install outshine and
outorg via package manager and follow the instructions for your .emacs
file, and don't forget to put

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'outline-minor-mode)
#+END_SRC

then this lets you edit your message-mode buffer in org-mode:

,----[ C-h f outorg-edit-as-org RET ]
| outorg-edit-as-org is an interactive Lisp function in `outorg.el'.
|
| It is bound to M-# #, <menu-bar> <Outshine> <Edit As Org>.
|
| (outorg-edit-as-org &optional ARG)
|
| Convert and copy to temporary Org buffer
|
| With ARG, act conditional on the raw value of ARG:

| | prefix | raw | action 1          | action 2                       |
| |--------+-----+-------------------+--------------------------------|
| | C-u    | (4) | edit-whole-buffer | ---                            |
| | C-1    |   1 | edit-whole-buffer | insert default export-template |
| | C-2    |   2 | edit-whole-buffer | prompt user for template-file  |
| | C-3    |   3 | edit-whole-buffer | insert & keep default template |
| | C-4    |   4 | edit-whole-buffer | insert & keep template-file    |
| | C-5    |   5 | propagate changes | ---                            |
`----

and this lets you return from org-mode to message-mode (bound to M-#):

,----[ C-h f outorg-copy-edits-and-exit RET ]

`----

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Multipart/Alternative reply to email?
@ 2016-03-25 13:46 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2016-03-25 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:
>
>> I realize this would require somehow converting the original message
>> to org-mode markup, and that seems very tricky. I just wondered
>> if anyone had taken a stab at building something like this.
>
> outorg.el works with message-mode too, so I currently write this message
> in Org-mode. Not related to org-mime in anyway, maybe not even to your
> intention, but nevertheless helpful perhaps.

Thank you, Thorsten. This looks very interesting. I'll look into it further.

Best,

@ 2016-03-26 11:55   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2016-03-26 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "Thorsten" == Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

   > Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:
   >> I realize this would require somehow converting the original message
   >> to org-mode markup, and that seems very tricky. I just wondered
   >> if anyone had taken a stab at building something like this.
hi

   > outorg.el works with message-mode too, so I currently write this message
   > in Org-mode. Not related to org-mime in anyway, maybe not even to your
   > intention, but nevertheless helpful perhaps. Just install outshine and
   > outorg via package manager and follow the instructions for your .emacs
   > file, and don't forget to put

I don't find these two package in the package manager, could you provide
a pointer, please?
Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: Multipart/Alternative reply to email?
@ 2016-03-26 12:21     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2016-03-26 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>    > Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:
>    >> I realize this would require somehow converting the original message
>    >> to org-mode markup, and that seems very tricky. I just wondered
>    >> if anyone had taken a stab at building something like this.
> hi
>

>    > outorg.el works with message-mode too, so I currently write this
>    > message
>    > in Org-mode. Not related to org-mime in anyway, maybe not even to your
>    > intention, but nevertheless helpful perhaps. Just install outshine and
>    > outorg via package manager and follow the instructions for your .emacs
>    > file, and don't forget to put
>
> I don't find these two package in the package manager, could you provide
> a pointer, please?
> Thanks

You need to incude MELPA as package archive in your .emacs, e.g.:

,----
`----

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Multipart/Alternative reply to email?
@ 2016-04-03 20:07 ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2016-04-03 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As a follow-up to the other replies in this thread, you might be able to use
Pandoc to convert the HTML to Org.  That's what I do in
org-protocol-capture-html, and it works very well.