emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Time remaining report, anyone done it?
@ 2013-10-07 10:05 Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2013-10-07 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello all,

I have a bit of time now so I am dusting off a slightly buggy way of
finding out how much time is remaining on a project.  The basic idea is
that:

:Effort: - [total clocked time] = [time remaining before completion]

The ultimate aim is to get a "time remaining report", similar to a "clocked
time report".

Before I get too stuck in I thought I would ask: Has anyone already done
this or thought about a good way to do it (I really hope so)?

Myles

* Re: Time remaining report, anyone done it?
@ 2013-10-08  7:07 ` Samuel Loury
From: Samuel Loury @ 2013-10-08  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Myles English <mylesenglish@gmail.com> writes:

> Before I get too stuck in I thought I would ask: Has anyone already done
> this or thought about a good way to do it (I really hope so)?
I did not but I am hoping you will manage to do it. I have already taken
a quick look into org code to understand how to do it without
success.

For what I can understand by tracing the CLOCKSUM property usage (grep
'"CLOCKSUM"' being a starting point), it seems to be doable by modifying
the org-columns and org-agenda-colview-compute defuns to set a text
property like org-clock-sum does with :org-clock-minutes. Then, the
defun org-dblock-write:clocktable should be edited to use that property.

Hope that helps.
--
Konubinix
GPG Key    : 7439106A

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Time remaining report, anyone done it?
@ 2013-10-08  9:25   ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2013-10-08  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Loury; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Samuel/Konubinix,

konubinix@gmail.com writes:

> For what I can understand by tracing the CLOCKSUM property usage (grep
> '"CLOCKSUM"' being a starting point), it seems to be doable by modifying
> the org-columns and org-agenda-colview-compute defuns to set a text
> property like org-clock-sum does with :org-clock-minutes. Then, the
> defun org-dblock-write:clocktable should be edited to use that property.
>
> Hope that helps.

Thanks, it does help to have a fresh starting points.

I completely forgot that I already wrote about my progress in this
venture, a year ago:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-10/msg00245.html

May be this time I will nail it.  Problem is I get it mostly working,
use it a few times, then don't use it for a while and org moves on.

@ 2013-10-08 10:01     ` Thomas
From: Thomas @ 2013-10-08 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Thanks, it does help to have a fresh starting points.
>
> I completely forgot that I already wrote about my progress in this
> venture, a year ago:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-10/msg00245.html

see here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/61459/focus=61555