emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-read-date-prefer-future 'time doesn't always prefer future
@ 2009-12-10 16:15 PT
From: PT @ 2009-12-10 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This is a very useful setting, because it allows the user to
quickly schedule a task into the future by simply entering the
time, but it doesn't always do the right thing.

Suppose I scheduled a task to 1pm, but I didn't have time to deal
with it during the day. It's 5pm now. If I want to reschedule the task to
tomorrow 10am then I can write simply 10am to the time prompt and
it puts the task correctly to tomorrow 10am. However, if I want
to reschedule it to tomorrow 2pm then I can't write simply 2pm,
because then it schedules the task at 2pm today (which is past
already, since it's 5 pm).

The problem is the feature uses the task's own scheduled time to
determine if a time is in the past, instead of the current time.

It's Org-mode version 6.33

* Re: org-read-date-prefer-future 'time doesn't always prefer future
@ 2010-01-01 10:33 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-01-01 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PT; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi PT,

I have tried to fix this, and hopefully it will not break something
else.
Could you please do some testing?

Also, everybody else, please keep an eye out if this change does break
the date
reading function in any way.

Thanks!

- Carsten

On Dec 10, 2009, at 5:15 PM, PT wrote:

> This is a very useful setting, because it allows the user to
> quickly schedule a task into the future by simply entering the
> time, but it doesn't always do the right thing.
>
> Suppose I scheduled a task to 1pm, but I didn't have time to deal
> with it during the day. It's 5pm now. If I want to reschedule the
> task to
> tomorrow 10am then I can write simply 10am to the time prompt and
> it puts the task correctly to tomorrow 10am. However, if I want
> to reschedule it to tomorrow 2pm then I can't write simply 2pm,
> because then it schedules the task at 2pm today (which is past
> already, since it's 5 pm).
>
> The problem is the feature uses the task's own scheduled time to
> determine if a time is in the past, instead of the current time.
>

> It's Org-mode version 6.33

- Carsten