emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* //WAITING shows //NEXT too...
@ 2008-06-02 15:17 Chris Poole
From: Chris Poole @ 2008-06-02 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is a bug or just some feature I don't understand, but I
can't find mention of it elsewhere.

I'm trying to implement GTD with org-mode.

I have special TODO keywords set, NEXT WAITING DONE.

If I do C-c\ to have it ask for tags or TODO keywords (to produce lists for me),
I may enter //WAITING, to see all items I'm waiting for.

Doing so and I get, for example

* Someday/Maybe...
* Projects...
** My first project
*** WAITING some thing I want done
*** NEXT something I should do         :computer:
* Reading...

Clearly, the NEXT item shouldn't be there.

This also occurs if I do a search for //NEXT items...

I get a nice list (this time not showing my WAITING items), but in places where
I have a *** NEXT item, it also shows any next *** item for that project too
(though there is no NEXT tag here).

(I apologise if these are two separate issues.)

Anyone know what's going wrong, or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

* Re: //WAITING shows //NEXT too...
@ 2008-06-02 15:53 ` Chris Poole
From: Chris Poole @ 2008-06-02 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Chris Poole <chris <at> chrispoole.com> writes:

Just to add, I'm using Carbon Emacs package on Mac OS X,
with v4.67d of org-mode.

I've downloaded the latest version to ~/emacs/lisp/org,
to see if this may help. But can't get it to load over
the old version (which is packaged inside Emacs.app).

* Re: //WAITING shows //NEXT too...
@ 2008-06-02 16:33   ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2008-06-02 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Poole; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Chris Poole <chris@chrispoole.com> writes:

> I've downloaded the latest version to ~/emacs/lisp/org,
> to see if this may help. But can't get it to load over
> the old version (which is packaged inside Emacs.app).

see variable load-path (M-x describe-variable RET load-path RET)

--
      Paul

* Re: //WAITING shows //NEXT too...
@ 2008-06-03 11:11     ` Chris Poole
From: Chris Poole @ 2008-06-03 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul R; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks.

Yes, I have done this.

Just realised that it loads the items first in load-path, and later
ones don't supersede. So used cons, not append, to get org mode in ~/
emacs to load first, before packaged one.

Newest org mode loads, and the bugs are gone.

Thanks.

On 2 Jun 2008, at 17:33, Paul R wrote:

> Chris Poole <chris@chrispoole.com> writes:
>
>> I've downloaded the latest version to ~/emacs/lisp/org,
>> to see if this may help. But can't get it to load over
>> the old version (which is packaged inside Emacs.app).
>
> see variable load-path (M-x describe-variable RET load-path RET)
>
> --
>      Paul

* Re: //WAITING shows //NEXT too...
@ 2008-06-03 22:25 ` Jost Burkardt
From: Jost Burkardt @ 2008-06-03 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Chris,

I don't know the exact structure of your org-file, but it seems to me
that in your case the WAITING entry is directly followed by the NEXT
entry.

If i remember it correcly, in sparse display org can show the preceeding
and the following headline. How to customize this is told in the
org-info:

(1) See also the variables `org-show-hierarchy-above',
`org-show-following-heading', and `org-show-siblings' for detailed
control on how much context is shown around each match.

Hope this helps,
Jost
--

Chris Poole <chris@chrispoole.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I'm not sure if this is a bug or just some feature I don't understand, but I
> can't find mention of it elsewhere.
>
> I'm trying to implement GTD with org-mode.
>
> I have special TODO keywords set, NEXT WAITING DONE.
>
> If I do C-c\ to have it ask for tags or TODO keywords (to produce lists for me),
> I may enter //WAITING, to see all items I'm waiting for.
>
> Doing so and I get, for example
>
> * Someday/Maybe...
> * Projects...
> ** My first project
> *** WAITING some thing I want done
> *** NEXT something I should do         :computer:
> * Reading...
>
> Clearly, the NEXT item shouldn't be there.
>
> This also occurs if I do a search for //NEXT items...
>
> I get a nice list (this time not showing my WAITING items), but in places where
> I have a *** NEXT item, it also shows any next *** item for that project too
> (though there is no NEXT tag here).
>
> (I apologise if these are two separate issues.)
>
> Anyone know what's going wrong, or what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks.

 Jost

* Re: //WAITING shows //NEXT too...
@ 2008-06-04 12:03   ` Chris Poole
From: Chris Poole @ 2008-06-04 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jost Burkardt <jost.burkardt <at> web.de> writes:

> (1) See also the variables `org-show-hierarchy-above',
> `org-show-following-heading', and `org-show-siblings' for detailed
> control on how much context is shown around each match.

Thanks.

I've loaded the latest version of org-mode (was using 4.xx bundled with Emacs),
and it's working fine now, so I guess it was fixed or something.

* Re: //WAITING shows //NEXT too...
@ 2008-06-04 12:57   ` Chris Poole
From: Chris Poole @ 2008-06-04 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> (1) See also the variables `org-show-hierarchy-above',
> `org-show-following-heading', and `org-show-siblings' for detailed
> control on how much context is shown around each match.

Hmm, slightly strange.

I've also been editing my .emacs and ~/emacs structure, so tested out
the latest version of org-mode using a stock Emacs, without any of my
customisations.

This is why I reported that it worked above.

I've now tried it back with all my .emacs customisations, and the same
error occurs. So I'm going to investigate a little further...