emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Escaping braces and org-export-latex-classes behaviour
@ 2010-04-16 17:19 Giulio Fella
From: Giulio Fella @ 2010-04-16 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I have just upgraded from 6.33trans to 6.35g-55-g36d3e hoping to solve
a problem with escaping braces.

With LaTex_CLASS: beamer

Something like
{\color{red}whatever}

exports to latex with escaped outer braces. Namely

\{\color{red}whatever\}

This is the same behaviour as in 6.33trans. I had read it was a bug
which had been corrected. Is this a reappearing bug  or is there a way
round it?

Also in version 6.33 the relevant content of org-export-latex-classes
used to be exported before that of BEAMER_HEADER_EXTRA. Now it is
parsed after it. Is there any variable I can set to reestablish the
old behaviour?

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes
Giulio

* Re: Escaping braces and org-export-latex-classes behaviour
@ 2010-04-17 20:09 ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2010-04-17 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Fella; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I think the correct would be using Latex syntax like \color{red}{whatever}.

If you write using plain Tex syntax like {\color{red}whatever} org
will not understand that the outer curly brackets are part of the
command.

-- Darlan

@ 2010-04-17 22:30   ` Giulio Fella
From: Giulio Fella @ 2010-04-17 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for your reply.

I am afraid I know nothing about Tex, so I cannot comment on that. But
all my Latex references
e.g. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Colors

give that as the correct syntax for \color, as opposed to e.g. \textcolor
which has the syntax you report.

But more generally, given that 90% of latex braces are just part of
command syntax I have a feeling that it would be more economical to
require the user to escape those braces which are indeed to be escaped
in Latex. I think Carsten has been correcting quite a number of these
"escape braces" bugs and I am not sure that the feature is worth his
time.

giulio