emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Implementing Kanban in Org-mode
@ 2010-04-09 14:23 Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2010-04-09 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I've recently taken an interest in Kanban, as a means of organising
tasks in a team.  I was wondering if anyone here has tried doing this
with org-mode, and if they have any tips.

I can imagine org's TODO_SEQ's map nicely onto the columns in a Kanban
task board.

It might even be possible to integrate org-mode with something like
this html simple kanban board:

http://www.simple-kanban.com/

Also how might Emacs org-mode be able to render a kanban board view?
Would it be possible to use something like the agenda to do this and
shuffle the tasks about?

Thoughts welcome,

R.

* Re: Implementing Kanban in Org-mode
@ 2010-04-14  9:12 ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2010-04-14  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com> writes:

> I've recently taken an interest in Kanban, as a means of organising
> tasks in a team.  I was wondering if anyone here has tried doing this
> with org-mode, and if they have any tips.
>
> I can imagine org's TODO_SEQ's map nicely onto the columns in a Kanban
> task board.

They do, yes. Very interesting idea.

> It might even be possible to integrate org-mode with something like
> this html simple kanban board:
>
> http://www.simple-kanban.com/

I could envision a simple solution where you export your tasks via an
dynamic block and insert that into the text area of the simple kanban
board. But that is a one way solution and fails if people start dragging
the tasks around. How does this information get back into the org file?

Maybe something simpler that is not editable as a view of the tasks and
their state, i.e. a simple static html kanban board. This could be done
again with some hacking based on a dynamic block and exporting this as
csv or you could hack up some elisp creating the html based on the
mapping API[1].

> Also how might Emacs org-mode be able to render a kanban board view?
> Would it be possible to use something like the agenda to do this and
> shuffle the tasks about?

Could you not just use the the global TODO list[2] and sort the tasks by
TODO state?

HTH
Christian

Footnotes: