emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Why I can't publish my project under Windows?
@ 2010-06-03 11:31 Water Lin
From: Water Lin @ 2010-06-03 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I can publish my org projects under Ubuntu but I can't publish it under
Windows. All settings are the same especially the home directory. I have
set the home path for different platform.

While I publish my org project under Windows, Emacs reminds me following
errors:
==========================
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Searching for program" "no such file or directory" "touch")
  call-process("touch" nil 0 nil "e:/water/My Dropbox/EmacsHome/.org-timestamps/X25e4900e8c818b67efbd6a89083ad0458650dbfa")
  org-publish-update-timestamp("e:/water/My Dropbox/EmacsHome/org/notes/index.org" "e:/water/My Dropbox/EmacsHome/org/private_html/notes/" org-publish-org-to-html)
=========================

What's the meaning of .org-timestamps folder? What's wrong with my
system?

BTW: why I also can't publish projects with Chinese folder under
Windows? How can I set it?

Thanks

Water Lin

--
Water Lin's notes and pencils: http://en.waterlin.org
Email: WaterLin@ymail.com

* Re: Why I can't publish my project under Windows?
@ 2010-06-03 12:21 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-03 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Water Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Walter,

you are not using the most recent version of Org-mode. "touch" was
needed earlier, but if you get the latest version from git, it is no
longer necessary.

The .timestamps directory is used to record information about files
already published.

HTH

- Carsten

On Jun 3, 2010, at 1:31 PM, Water Lin wrote:

> I can publish my org projects under Ubuntu but I can't publish it
> under
> Windows. All settings are the same especially the home directory. I
> have
> set the home path for different platform.
>
> While I publish my org project under Windows, Emacs reminds me
> following
> errors:
> ==========================
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Searching for program"
> "no such file or directory" "touch")
>  call-process("touch" nil 0 nil "e:/water/My Dropbox/EmacsHome/.org-
> timestamps/X25e4900e8c818b67efbd6a89083ad0458650dbfa")
>  org-publish-update-timestamp("e:/water/My Dropbox/EmacsHome/org/
> notes/index.org" "e:/water/My Dropbox/EmacsHome/org/private_html/
> notes/" org-publish-org-to-html)
> =========================
>
> What's the meaning of .org-timestamps folder? What's wrong with my
> system?
>
> BTW: why I also can't publish projects with Chinese folder under
> Windows? How can I set it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Water Lin
>
> --
> Water Lin's notes and pencils: http://en.waterlin.org
> Email: WaterLin@ymail.com

- Carsten

* Re: Why I can't publish my project under Windows?
@ 2010-06-03 12:23 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-06-03 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Water Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Water Lin <WaterLin@ymail.com> writes:

> I can publish my org projects under Ubuntu but I can't publish it under
> Windows. All settings are the same especially the home directory. I have
> set the home path for different platform.
>
> While I publish my org project under Windows, Emacs reminds me
> following

1. Which windows? XP, Vista?
2. Are you under cygwin ?
3. Which Emacs-version?
4. which org-version?

> errors:
> ==========================
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Searching for program" "no such file or directory" "touch")
>   call-process("touch" nil 0 nil "e:/water/My Dropbox/EmacsHome/.org-timestamps/X25e4900e8c818b67efbd6a89083ad0458650dbfa")
>   org-publish-update-timestamp("e:/water/My Dropbox/EmacsHome/org/notes/index.org" "e:/water/My Dropbox/EmacsHome/org/private_html/notes/" org-publish-org-to-html)
> =========================

>  call-process("touch" nil 0 nil "e:/water/My Dropbox/EmacsHome/.org-timestamps/X25e4900e8c818b67efbd6a89083ad0458650dbfa")
               ^^^^^^^^^
why do you have the word "touch" in your configuration?
Do you call the "touch" program under GNU/Linux?
Do you have it installed under Windows?

> What's the meaning of .org-timestamps folder?
from the description of the variable:

  "Name of directory in which to store publishing timestamps."

Do you have it *in your home* under Windows?

Could you, please, customize the org-publish-use-timestamps-flag to nil

(defcustom org-publish-use-timestamps-flag t
  "When non-nil, use timestamp checking to publish only changed files.
When nil, do no timestamp checking and always publish all files."

to see if you still have the publishing problem?

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: Why I can't publish my project under Windows?
@ 2010-06-07  2:08   ` Water Lin
From: Water Lin @ 2010-06-07  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Giovanni Ridolfi <giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> writes:

> Water Lin <WaterLin@ymail.com> writes:
>
>> I can publish my org projects under Ubuntu but I can't publish it under
>> Windows. All settings are the same especially the home directory. I have
>> set the home path for different platform.
>>
>> While I publish my org project under Windows, Emacs reminds me
>> following
>
> 1. Which windows? XP, Vista?
> 2. Are you under cygwin ?
> 3. Which Emacs-version?
> 4. which org-version?

I am using Windows XP and not using Cygwin.

My org mode version is 6.31a which is binding with my Emacs 23.

>> errors:
>> ==========================
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Searching for program" "no such file or directory" "touch")
>>   call-process("touch" nil 0 nil "e:/water/My Dropbox/EmacsHome/.org-timestamps/X25e4900e8c818b67efbd6a89083ad0458650dbfa")
>>   org-publish-update-timestamp("e:/water/My Dropbox/EmacsHome/org/notes/index.org" "e:/water/My Dropbox/EmacsHome/org/private_html/notes/" org-publish-org-to-html)
>> =========================
>
>>  call-process("touch" nil 0 nil "e:/water/My Dropbox/EmacsHome/.org-timestamps/X25e4900e8c818b67efbd6a89083ad0458650dbfa")
>                ^^^^^^^^^
> why do you have the word "touch" in your configuration?
> Do you call the "touch" program under GNU/Linux?
> Do you have it installed under Windows?

I don't know why the word "touch" in my configuration. And I also don't
know if I use it under Linux.

I check my org mode configuration file, but I can't find any word like
"touch" in my org-sites.el file.

So, what's the function of this "touch" program?

What should I do now? Upgrade the org mode to latest version?

Thanks

Water Lin

--

@ 2010-06-07  4:04     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-06-07  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Water Lin; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Water Lin <WaterLin@ymail.com> wrote:

> I don't know why the word "touch" in my configuration. And I also don't
> know if I use it under Linux.
>
> I check my org mode configuration file, but I can't find any word like
> "touch" in my org-sites.el file.
>
> So, what's the function of this "touch" program?

It updates the modification time of its arguments to the current time.
It is used for timestamping. But I guess it does not exist on Windoze
(except for cygwin).

> What should I do now? Upgrade the org mode to latest version?

Yes. Did you see Carsten's message?

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/25929/focus=25932

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Why I can't publish my project under Windows?
@ 2010-06-07  6:30       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-06-07  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Water Lin <WaterLin@ymail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't know why the word "touch" in my configuration. And I also don't
>> know if I use it under Linux.
>>
>> I check my org mode configuration file, but I can't find any word like
>> "touch" in my org-sites.el file.
>>
>> So, what's the function of this "touch" program?
>>

> It updates the modification time of its arguments to the current time.
> It is used for timestamping. But I guess it does not exist on Windoze
> (except for cygwin).

There are various equivalents.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/51435/windows-version-of-the-unix-touch-command

>> What should I do now? Upgrade the org mode to latest version?
>>

> Yes. Did you see Carsten's message?
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/25929/focus=25932
>
> HTH,
> Nick