emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* resize table in latex
@ 2015-06-01 10:51 Zhihao Ding
From: Zhihao Ding @ 2015-06-01 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi there,

I am trying to find a way to automatically resize tables
in the latex output.

When doing slides in beamer, I use this to resize tables
to fit in a frame

     #+LaTeX: \scriptsize{\resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{
	| . | . |
     #+LaTeX: }}

While when writing reports, I use the following instead
as I need to cross reference it by the name

     #+CAPTION: table caption
     #+NAME: table:label
	| . | . |

then I loose the resize facility.  How could I combine
the two? I tried to fiddle with
#+ATTR_LATEX but didn’t mange to make it work.

Thanks very much!

Zhihao

* Re: resize table in latex
@ 2015-06-01 11:21 ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2015-06-01 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Zhihao Ding <zhihao.ding@imm.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to find a way to automatically resize tables
> in the latex output.
>
> When doing slides in beamer, I use this to resize tables
> to fit in a frame
>
>      #+LaTeX: \scriptsize{\resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{
> 	| . | . |
>      #+LaTeX: }}
>
> While when writing reports, I use the following instead
> as I need to cross reference it by the name
>
>      #+CAPTION: table caption
>      #+NAME: table:label
> 	| . | . |
>
> then I loose the resize facility.  How could I combine
> the two? I tried to fiddle with
> #+ATTR_LATEX but didn’t mange to make it work.
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> Zhihao

I'm not sure whether it is related, but I have had problems with using a
colon in names of objects.  Using, say, 'table;label' instead of
'table:label' might help.

Cheers,

Loris

* Re: resize table in latex
@ 2015-06-01 16:35 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-06-01 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 10:51:24AM +0000, Zhihao Ding wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to find a way to automatically resize tables
> in the latex output.
>
> When doing slides in beamer, I use this to resize tables
> to fit in a frame
>
>      #+LaTeX: \scriptsize{\resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{
> 	| . | . |
>      #+LaTeX: }}
>
> While when writing reports, I use the following instead
> as I need to cross reference it by the name
>
>      #+CAPTION: table caption
>      #+NAME: table:label
> 	| . | . |
>
> then I loose the resize facility.  How could I combine
> the two? I tried to fiddle with
> #+ATTR_LATEX but didn’t mange to make it work.

I don't follow.  Why do you say you lose the facility?  The following:

  #+LaTeX: \scriptsize{\resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{
  #+CAPTION: table caption
  #+NAME: table:label
     | . | . |
     | . | . |
  #+LaTeX: }}

exports as:

  \scriptsize{\resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{
  \begin{table}[htb]
  \caption{\label{tab:orgtable1}
  table caption}
  \centering
  \begin{tabular}{ll}
  . & .\\
  . & .\\
  \end{tabular}
  \end{table}
  }}

Isn't that exactly what you want?

--
Suvayu

* Re: resize table in latex
@ 2015-06-02  8:43   ` Zhihao Ding
From: Zhihao Ding @ 2015-06-02  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks very much for your reply. The proposed method
in this reply won’t work. It needs to be in the following
structure where this line

 “\scriptsize{\resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{“

is after “\begin{table}[htb]” and immediately before
“\begin{tabular}{rr}”.

I don’t know how to achieve that in the org syntax.

\begin{table}[htb]
\caption[caption]{\label{tablelabel} caption}
\centering

\scriptsize{\resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{
\begin{tabular}{rr}
1 & 4 \\
\end{tabular}
}}

\end{table}

Thanks,
Zhihao

> On 1 Jun 2015, at 17:35, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 10:51:24AM +0000, Zhihao Ding wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am trying to find a way to automatically resize tables
>> in the latex output.
>>
>> When doing slides in beamer, I use this to resize tables
>> to fit in a frame
>>
>>     #+LaTeX: \scriptsize{\resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{
>> 	| . | . |
>>     #+LaTeX: }}
>>
>> While when writing reports, I use the following instead
>> as I need to cross reference it by the name
>>
>>     #+CAPTION: table caption
>>     #+NAME: table:label
>> 	| . | . |
>>
>> then I loose the resize facility.  How could I combine
>> the two? I tried to fiddle with
>> #+ATTR_LATEX but didn’t mange to make it work.
>
> I don't follow.  Why do you say you lose the facility?  The following:
>
>  #+LaTeX: \scriptsize{\resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{
>  #+CAPTION: table caption
>  #+NAME: table:label
>     | . | . |
>     | . | . |
>  #+LaTeX: }}
>
> exports as:
>
>  \scriptsize{\resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{
>  \begin{table}[htb]
>  \caption{\label{tab:orgtable1}
>  table caption}
>  \centering
>  \begin{tabular}{ll}
>  . & .\\
>  . & .\\
>  \end{tabular}
>  \end{table}
>  }}
>
> Isn't that exactly what you want?
>
> --
> Suvayu

* Re: resize table in latex
@ 2015-06-02  9:06     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-06-02  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhihao Ding; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tue, Jun 02, 2015 at 08:43:07AM +0000, Zhihao Ding wrote:
> Thanks very much for your reply. The proposed method
> in this reply won’t work. It needs to be in the following
> structure where this line
>
>  “\scriptsize{\resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{“
>
> is after “\begin{table}[htb]” and immediately before
> “\begin{tabular}{rr}”.

Why is that?  Is it because table is a float?

You could try repurposing the :caption attribute.  See:

  (info "(org) LaTeX specific attributes")

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

* Re: resize table in latex
@ 2015-06-02  9:59       ` Zhihao Ding
From: Zhihao Ding @ 2015-06-02  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks. This idea works, based on which I used the following
in the end.

#+NAME: tbl:lab
#+ATTR_LATEX: :caption \caption[short]{\label{tbl:lab} long.} \scriptsize{\resizebox{\textwidth}{!} \centering

It does’t look very org like but is good that it works.

Thanks,
Zhihao