emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [Feature Request] Sane XHTML markup for Properties and Property Drawers
@ 2009-12-03 15:41 Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2009-12-03 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Just bumping this thread/question:

2009/12/2 Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com>:
> Also, the properties are exported into the HTML like so:
>
> <pre class="example">PROPERTIES
> :FOO: blah
> :BAR: blah blah
> </pre>
>
> Would something like the following not be a better format for
> parsing/processing?

>  <dl>
>    <dt class="property_key_foo">FOO</dt><dd
> class="property_value_foo">blah</dd>
>    <dt class="property_key_bar">BAR</dt><dd
> class="property_value_bar">blah blah</dd>
>  </dl>
>
> R.

* Re: [Feature Request] Sane XHTML markup for Properties and Property Drawers
@ 2009-12-03 16:00 ` Jonathan Arkell
From: Jonathan Arkell @ 2009-12-03 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Sure, but something like this might be even better still:

<dl class=²properties²>
  <dt>FOO</dt>
  <dd>blah</dd>
  <dt>BAR</dt>
  <dd>blah blah</dd>
</dl>

You don't need the extra div around the dl, since the dl itself is a block
element.  The extra div in this case is semantically null (and void!).

The Definition list is basically a set of key/value pairs anyway, so having
the extra classes "property_key_foo" don't make a whole lot of sense.  Using
a definition list as a series of key-value pairs is a pretty well
established pattern of the XHTML Microformats movement.

Just my 2 cents.

On 2009/12/3 8:41 AM, "Rick Moynihan" <rick.moynihan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just bumping this thread/question:
>
> 2009/12/2 Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com>:
>> Also, the properties are exported into the HTML like so:
>>
>> <pre class="example">PROPERTIES
>> :FOO: blah
>> :BAR: blah blah
>> </pre>
>>
>> Would something like the following not be a better format for
>> parsing/processing?

>>  <dl>
>>    <dt class="property_key_foo">FOO</dt><dd
>> class="property_value_foo">blah</dd>
>>    <dt class="property_key_bar">BAR</dt><dd
>> class="property_value_bar">blah blah</dd>
>>  </dl>
>>
>> R.

The information contained in this message is confidential. It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity named above or their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message.

* Re: [Feature Request] Sane XHTML markup for Properties and Property Drawers
@ 2009-12-03 16:42   ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2009-12-03 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Arkell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

2009/12/3 Jonathan Arkell <jonathana@criticalmass.com>:
> Sure, but something like this might be even better still:
>
> <dl class=²properties²>
>  <dt>FOO</dt>
>  <dd>blah</dd>
>  <dt>BAR</dt>
>  <dd>blah blah</dd>
> </dl>
>
> You don't need the extra div around the dl, since the dl itself is a block
> element.  The extra div in this case is semantically null (and void!).

Agreed... It was late and I just bashed out the first thing that came
to mind as a starter for 10 :-)

> The Definition list is basically a set of key/value pairs anyway, so having
> the extra classes "property_key_foo" don't make a whole lot of sense.  Using
> a definition list as a series of key-value pairs is a pretty well
> established pattern of the XHTML Microformats movement.

The only reason I added the classes was to try and make things simpler
for CSS selectors to pull out specific properties.  Presumably this is
still reasonably easy with your revised defintion though?

R.