emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Logging rescheduled tasks
@ 2009-11-03 16:01 Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2009-11-03 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone logs rescheduled tasks with org-mode...  As I
find myself sometimes scheduling tasks for a future date, but then on
the day not having the capacity to do them.  In these situations I
just reschedule them, but it'd be nice to record the dates for which
an item was originally scheduled in the LOGBOOK.

Has anyone configured org-mode to do this? lognotedone only appears to
log state changes (rather than schedule/deadline changes).

R.

* Re: Logging rescheduled tasks
@ 2009-11-04  0:28 ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2009-11-04  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rick Moynihan (rick.moynihan@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone logs rescheduled tasks with org-mode...  As I
> find myself sometimes scheduling tasks for a future date, but then on
> the day not having the capacity to do them.  In these situations I
> just reschedule them, but it'd be nice to record the dates for which
> an item was originally scheduled in the LOGBOOK.

Agreed - that would be nice.  I reschedule very frequently (alas...)

* Re: Logging rescheduled tasks
@ 2009-11-04 14:59   ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2009-11-04 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers, emacs-orgmode

2009/11/4 Adam Spiers <orgmode@adamspiers.org>:
> Rick Moynihan (rick.moynihan@gmail.com) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone logs rescheduled tasks with org-mode...  As I
>> find myself sometimes scheduling tasks for a future date, but then on
>> the day not having the capacity to do them.  In these situations I
>> just reschedule them, but it'd be nice to record the dates for which
>> an item was originally scheduled in the LOGBOOK.
>
> Agreed - that would be nice.  I reschedule very frequently (alas...)

Yes, same...  I can also this as being useful for DEADLINE's too, as
it'd be nice to track when deadlines shift along with a log note as to
the reason...

@ 2009-11-06 14:39 George Pearson
From: George Pearson @ 2009-11-06 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rick Moynihan (address@hidden) wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone logs rescheduled tasks with org-mode...
> As I find myself sometimes scheduling tasks for a future date,
> but then on the day not having the capacity to do them.  In these
> situations I just reschedule them, but it'd be nice to record the
> dates for which an item was originally scheduled in the LOGBOOK.

I too would love to see this.

I been preserving the original scheduling manually - from the agenda, I
type the spacebar to get to the related orgfile entry, where I change
"SCHEDULED" to "ORIGSCHEDULED".  Then I schedule a new date/time in the
usual way.   (Logging the change is probably a better idea though.)

Have only been doing this about a month.  In the future, I want to be
able to look back at these events and see if there is any pattern to
my "misses".

* Re: Logging rescheduled tasks
@ 2009-11-09 21:09 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-09 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rick,

On Nov 3, 2009, at 5:01 PM, Rick Moynihan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone logs rescheduled tasks with org-mode...  As I
> find myself sometimes scheduling tasks for a future date, but then on
> the day not having the capacity to do them.  In these situations I
> just reschedule them, but it'd be nice to record the dates for which
> an item was originally scheduled in the LOGBOOK.
>
> Has anyone configured org-mode to do this? lognotedone only appears to
> log state changes (rather than schedule/deadline changes).

Get the latest version and use the variables `org-log-reschedule'
and `org-log-redeadline'.

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: Logging rescheduled tasks
@ 2009-11-10  1:11   ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2009-11-10  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2009/11/9 Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>:
> Hi Rick,
>
> On Nov 3, 2009, at 5:01 PM, Rick Moynihan wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm wondering if anyone logs rescheduled tasks with org-mode...  As I
>> find myself sometimes scheduling tasks for a future date, but then on
>> the day not having the capacity to do them.  In these situations I
>> just reschedule them, but it'd be nice to record the dates for which
>> an item was originally scheduled in the LOGBOOK.
>>
>> Has anyone configured org-mode to do this? lognotedone only appears to
>> log state changes (rather than schedule/deadline changes).
>

> Get the latest version and use the variables `org-log-reschedule'
> and `org-log-redeadline'.

Great!!!  It seems to work perfectly!  Thanks again Carsten!

R.